Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Red and Black Dodge Charger 2.2 with 56K miles. Sold in NY and sent to South Carolina and in a garage for 27 years. I have all the paperwork including the bill of sale! The car is Rust free I did the following:
New Tires
New Brakes and rotors and drums
New Struts and Shocks
New Gas Tank / Sending Unit
New Head / All engine gaskets; Short Block inspected
New Exhaust
New Fuel Pump / Carb cleaned
Interior very good
Painted the Black lower valance
Original paint very good
4 speed
Great little car that got me started on Turbo Dodges
$2800

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need 5 post to post a URL on this site. You can email me at [email protected] for pictures. I will send you a photobucket URL.

On this site there are some more pictures of the car with the rebuilt engine going into the car. When I bought the car it had a tick. Pulled the oil cover and noted that the car had a bad spot on the cam so out came the engine and we bought a new head. Reassembled the engine and put in a new clutch while it was out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had this car's Twin Brother back in the Early 90's. It was a BLAST! It did okay against a Shelby Charger until 3rd Gear. I think it had a 3.87 gear, and the Shelby had a 3.56. And a Turbo!!!

These were FUN Cars. How come they don't make cars like this anymore?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a white and black one from Arlington Park Dodge in Arlington Hts Il in 1983. I bought a 82 model off the showroom floor with 6K miles. There was a red one just like this also on the floor and I liked it better but it was a stick and I couldn't drive a stick at the time so I passed. So being my first car and all I could not pass this little red 2.2 up. Those were some cool times. I really couldn't imagine buying a new car today with the exception of a new challenger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What an honor on the screen saver!!! These cars were so common in the 80's I use to see so many of them around. Now they are all gone. People saved the Shelbys and not the 2.2's or DeTomaso's. Kinda sad. But it is so cool to drive around; Like a little go cart so I am having fun with it!!! I suspect it will go to a collector of L bodies if there is such an animal out there!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I bought my 82 for $6500 out the door with 12K miles on the odometer. A week later the 83 shelbys showed up and i saw 7 being delivered of a transport. I think they were in the 8500 range and to much but they were cool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I paid around 7200 new. Drove it off lot just as dealer was closing up. Got 2 miles down the road and heard a lot of banging (rear drum brakes). took it back and left it in front of closed gate. Picked it up next day and engine timing problem. Dealer had it for two weeks before I finally called zone office. Turned out to be fouled plugs on a new car. After that it was a great car except paint oxidized after about a year. I did not like the 83 1/2 shelbys b/c it did not have the hood and side scoops. Wish I could locate a pristine Charger 2.2 in red with black graphics and grey interior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
first post here and searched onto this thread.. I bought a new 81 Charger 2.2 in the summer of 81 from Compton Dodge in Egg Harbor New Jersey. It was my first new car bought while I was in College.. I loved the Charger 2.2 since I saw it in a few magazines when Dodge ran a 2 page ad with a red/black one.. I was in love.. I did my research and found all kinds of odd color combo ones around me. Blue/black (the interiors always matched the stripe colors) Red/gold, blue /gold, blue/black, white/gold, white/red, black/red, silver/red.. But what I really wanted was a loaded 4 speed black with gold.. My Dad worked in AC at the time and he passed this Dodge dealer on rt 30 every day and saw it one day in the showroom. It had ac, ps/pb, console, S14 handling package, am/fm 8 track(!) rear speakers, leather wheel. You could either get the Goodyear eagles or Firestone HPR's(which my car had)I wanted the front storage compartment and rear aluminum window slats so I ordered them separate and installed them. I also ordered a Direct Connection leather shift knob.. I still remember the day i picked it up with my Dad.. What an amazing day.. 20 years old and my first new car. I still have the original window sticker somewhere in the basement. I believe the sticker price was $7800 or so .. I was a pretty lucky kid, worked hard and saved my $$ and even had another car to drive to school every day so the Charger sat covered in my parents driveway as a weekend fun car. I joined to local Philly Mopar club and even entered the car in the 1982 Philadeldelphia custom car show with the huge Mopar display at the convention center with my then girlfriend(now my wife of 25 years). The only problem i have had was a coolant crossover gasket let go under the intake late one night driving home from my gf's home and the pcv pick up in the valve cover was installed up side down and managed to such in oil on hard acceleration one night and create a huge cloud of smoke out the exhaust one night. Both were fixed under warranty. If I remember correctly my 4 year loan for it was about $120 a month and I put $3000 down on it. I took my then GF (now wife) for a first date in it... Ill never forget it.. She was impressed too:) That exhaust was awesome too. No muffler, just a fat tailpipe with nothing in it and a cat to quiet it. It used to pop and backfire on a cold coast in second gear coming to a stop at the end of my street. Loved it. On a hard 1-2 shift I could even get a chirp from the front tires.. Got out of college in 84 and married in 87 and sold the Charger to a local kid (can't remember how much but I think about $3000) in 88 or so and ordered a new Plymouth Laser turbo in Jan 89.. (thats a whole nother story).. If I get a lot of posts about it Ill try to find some old pics of it and scan em and post em here.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
I remember seeing a Black/Gold one in Detroit when I went there to pick up the FG hood for my 62 Plymouth Drag car. I've never seen another one and of course it's my favorite. Wish I had one today. I have a nice 2.5 turbo 568 for it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.