·
Registered
200 Posts
Get rid of the fuseable links altogether

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Short term I'm going to replace the blown link and tidy up the bodge job PO did. Know a specialty scrapyard nearby, i'll see if they got a lebaron. Would be nice not to have to crimp/solder every time something goes hairy.

I only put two gallons into her 13 gallon tank, and when i tried to turn her over (before this electrical mess) her fuel lines were dry. is two gallons enough to induce sending ? A new pumps only a couple bucks but it ran on its own before parked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok! Good day! Replaced fusible link. Pretty easy, soldering was difficult but i made sure it was a good solder. Long term i'll replace the whole setup with a PDC but that's a later project. Back to where i was before i blew it out.

Turns out she wasn't sucking gas because the PO had swapped the tubes for the Fuel Pump AND the fuel filter. What a brainiac. Sorted that out. Getting closer to getting her running.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Hello!

First time owning a project car. I work on large heavy vehicles for a living. My GF's a mechanic in training. Classified Ad for an '82 dodge Rampage came across my alerts and i basically ran to get it. We carted it back to a safe spot and popped the wheels off for now. Think we didn't do too bad for $1200.

View attachment 280470

Still working on how to take good pictures. But she's a 2.2L automatic rampage. We're in the NE of the US so there's rust but a PO made new floorpans so the worst is outside the cabin.

Good news is that she can run and has a clean title, though you had to press the gas and the brake to get her to start. If anyone knows what that's a symptom of i'd love to hear it.
She needs a total refresh for an interior (we just went and bought L body seats), vacuum/fuel lines, brake systems, floorpans, everything. But that's why we do this right ?? ;)
Current plan is to Drop and clean the tank, replace all the fuel lines, and then see how she runs on new gas. Once we got her running/idling stable, we're gonna replace all the brake lines/gear. Once she can go and stop, we'll focus on the nice to have things like an interior or emissions control.

View attachment 280471

So far we just rebuilt the carb (replaced all the gaskets and such) and put it back on. but it'll be a while until we get to test it out. I haven't wrenched on a carb before so while I'm worried, I do have the presence of mind to know that plenty of interchangable parts exist and I know when something doesn't look right. Ill be relying on my girl who's a mechanic to do fine tuning.

We also sprang for the 1982 Chrysler Engine Performance and 82 Car chassis/body/electrical service manuals, which are indispensable. Highly recommend getting a copy for whatever model year vehicle you have.

To reiterate, the focus is on overhauling the fuel system, and only after all that we're gonna try turning the key again.

IF anyone's got a lead on Rampage interior finishings in the NE region i'd love recommendations.
Thanks y'all!
I Always look forward to seeing a Rampage project.
It's just a cool little truck with a lot of potential.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We got spark! We got a working fuel pump (need to get a tool from harbor freight make sure its sucking and blowing consistently)!
She wants to start! But i think i mis-tuned the carb. She'll start and then die pretty quick after.

Like i said, PO removed the automatic choke and gave up installing a manual one, so getting a new carb isn't that crazy for me, especially if i know it's good/tuned. Biggest headache is gonna be plugging all the vacuum lines.

Found a piece of trim that'll cover the shifter! one thing at a time. Some guy on ebay's selling interior trim pieces and its tempting to just have the parts on hand for when i get there.

Wood Floor Flooring Artisan Gas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
lads and ladies she RUNS! And Shifts! And moves under her own power!

She was idling a little low but a half turn on that idler screw fixed that right up. Easiest thing in the world. Took a few tries to warm her up but after i plugged all the vacuum leaks, hooked everything up! she runs better than most other vehicles i've had.

Next steps are fluid overhauls. everything must be changed out. After that, brake infrastructure and electrics and such. woohoo!

Does the fan kick on only when it reaches certain temps?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
tried getting her running yesterday, was running really rough and was worrying me. might've been the fuel pump, and i got a fuel pump test kit from harbor freight, but i'll need to check it out at a later date. also i think i hooked up the brake booster to a vacuum line instead of an air line from the carb, cause the brakes go flat the second she starts.

I was going to try and start draining the coolant bc i don't know when a PO has swapped it. the radiator petcock was gummed up, but with enough picking at it and compressed air pointed at the top I think we got a good drain. Next is flushing it with water and finding some kind of fluid to de gunk whatever's in there.

Vacuum line tech is so annoying!

this week my bud's coming up to continue welding stuff. pretty exciting! I'll post pics of the after work, but in a little while i'll post the before. need to find camera cable

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Turns out the master cylinder is totally gone, like you can see the housing warp when you put your foot all the way down, so that's definitely a fix that before go on the road thing. I'm replacing all of the brakes entirely, and i have a new master cylinder already.

Turns out the weird struggling to start problem was a vacuum line cap split. I put together a new cap and she started on first crank and idled wonderfully for a $1200 ute.

Radiator isn't actually super gunked up, it just needed some attention. Water pump works! Gonna adhere to manufacturer recommendations for what to put in there.

Buddy started welding in floors today. I'll post pics when he's done because there's nothing to show yet.

Got some info about the dash- apparently ammeters on older vehicles are a main source of dashboard fires? like they just go up and burn shit up? Anyway I gotta make sure mines unplugged, and while i'm at it see if there's sense in swapping the 1982-specific gauge cluster for an 83 or later model (has an OEM tachyometer and a trip counter! wow). If anybody has done similar and can vouch for it i'd love to hear it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts