Turbo Dodge Forums banner

82 Rampage suddenly won’t roll forward

632 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ReckedRampage 
I'm thinking the shifter isn't in neutral.
You said: It’s been in push/neutral.
Did you mean that you pushed the shifter down and towards you then forward? (like an L in reverse).
That then would be reverse.
If not, it could be that the shifter came out of alignment and you aren't really in neutral.

The reverse L would be reverse gear on mine, yes. It sits like it’s in neutral now. I climbed under it and had someone cycle to R and it engages audibly, and the shifter doesn’t slip out of gear. When they put it back in neutral it disengaged and went back to slight slack.
If I push the shifter down, toward me, and then back, there’s a spot labeled ‘push’. That spot doesn’t hold the shifter, it slides back into neutral. Whether this is a normal feature or not is unclear to me, as both my rampages have this shift pattern and both operate the same way.
The linkages are all there, and it’s pretty smooth to operate. When it was running last year it went into reverse and 1st fine.
It could absolutely be out of alignment anyway, or something could have broken between last year and now and I haven’t found it. Our (not professional) assumption goes between not in neutral and seized brake. the back wheel was whining when we pushed it and the car was lifting it’s back end as if someone has hit the brakes on it.
if you have any diagnostic ideas, I’m happy to get down and look again.
thank you!
I can tell you that the shift pattern has been the same since 1981 and the A460 4-speed.
The Chrysler Service Manual has a page devoted to adjusting the linkage.
It's very easy to do and requires a ratchet, two sockets and a floor jack.
A 1-man operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.