Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lost the inner bushing on the right side of the rack. its not the mounting bushing but the bushing on the inside of rack behind the inner tie rod on the right side. where can i get a bushing. been tring to find the whole rack with no luck. any ideas would be help full

thanks
court

·
Registered
529 Posts
lost the inner bushing on the right side of the rack. its not the mounting bushing but the bushing on the inside of rack behind the inner tie rod on the right side. where can i get a bushing. been tring to find the whole rack with no luck. any ideas would be help full
thanks
court
Which rack do you have, a Saginaw or a TRW?
Manual or power?

I rebuilt my power Saginaw & got a kit from a place in FL.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a manual. not sure of the of the type. how can you tell the diff. do you have a contack # for the shop in fl.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Per the parts manual there is only one type of a manual rack, p/n 4188856 . Per the repair manual the whole rack will need to be replaced if a malfunction occurs...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5745354&cc=1097243&jsn=420

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...0106/4507671/1983/dodge/rampage?q=Rack+&pos=0

Below is a pic of my power Saginaw. There's a "S" in the small square just to the right of the black cylinder. The Saginaws use different lines than the TRWs...

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tryed those places and they are out of stock. looking at the ones on ebay but they say rear stear. what is a rear stear. they say it will fit a 84 rampage. i just dont no. its just a carrier bushing. that keeps the shaft sliding in and out straight. the old bushing that was in there was just made out of some kind of hard plastic that just got brittle from age and broke. the rack seems to feel smooth. what do you think of the racks on ebay?

·
Registered
529 Posts
i tryed those places and they are out of stock. looking at the ones on ebay but they say rear stear. what is a rear stear. they say it will fit a 84 rampage. i just dont no. its just a carrier bushing. that keeps the shaft sliding in and out straight. the old bushing that was in there was just made out of some kind of hard plastic that just got brittle from age and broke. the rack seems to feel smooth. what do you think of the racks on ebay?
So you're looking for an '84, correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-90-Do...:Dodge&hash=item443e0d6130:g:pUgAAOSw965c5GOs

They don't accept returns so compare it closely IF this is the one you want.

I believe "rear steer" means that the rack is mounted behind the axle.

Check out the others. Sometimes you gotta get what you can get. Just compare them carefully with yours.

Yeah, it sucks for one bushing but a remf'd unit might be better in the long run...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
left a message to the seller about the length. he hasnt got back to me yet. id let to buy it if its the right length. i bought some bushing for the one i have . its a bummer i have 3 power. but i like the manual. less thing to go wrong. ill let you no how the bushing work out.

thanks
court

·
Registered
529 Posts
left a message to the seller about the length. he hasnt got back to me yet. id let to buy it if its the right length. i bought some bushing for the one i have . its a bummer i have 3 power. but i like the manual. less thing to go wrong. ill let you no how the bushing work out.

thanks
court
Yeah! Glad you found a bushing! No fluid under pressure to worry about leaks so as you said, less things to go wrong.
Per the FSM, the steering gear is permanently lubricated at the factory. You might see if it's possible to relubricate it since you're replacing the bushing.
Good luck!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Please don't keep us in suspense. Please tell us how you found the new bushing? Where you found the bushing? And the part number so we might buy some bushings for our own manual steering racks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm late to this party but on my 89 Lebaron, with a horrendous turning radius, I removed the bushing behind the inner tie rod end and replaced it with a plastic washer about .100" thick. Gained a more acceptable radius after doing both sides. Didn't cause any problems except minor tire rub when turning completely against the stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just wrote a new post about this. eBay sells new ones, but the spline count is more than the rack calls for. Modify?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts