Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Radio Wiring For All 84-01 Chryslers

• Metal Braid Or Plastic Connector Attached To Back Of Radio Is The Ground Wire
  • If Installing A Amp Connect Your Remote Turn On Wire To Antenna Trigger Wire
  • If you have the factory Infinity Amp and no sound issue, make sure you have the amp trigger wire connected to remote turn on wire on the harness
  • The Stock Amp Trigger Is Only On Vehicles With Factory Infinity Amps (Pin 7)

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
need the pin outs added. I have 4 sets of plugs, 84 and newer for radios and they all have different color wires, and all 4 sets don't match the colors in the 85 Shelby Charger harness... Makes it a pain.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it fixed for ya pope

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
sweet, that has been needed:thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some factory wires do but i have only seen a few on these cars and if you are installing a aftermarket deck the install harness will have wire labels on them

·
Registered
354 Posts
i have installed probably over 1000 radios in every type of vehicle imaginable, from an Aries to a Peterbuilt and everything inbetween and i have never seen factory wires behind the radio labeled. the only thing i have seen that came close was a military spec Humvee and the wires were labeled- with numbers. i dont know why military passenger and transport vehicles are like that- all wires are black and labeled with number tags. doesnt make any sense considering if you are color blind you can not enlist...

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just like you, i have also installed in 1000's of vehicles low to high end cars as i was a MECP master tech, only certain vehicles have the labels as its kindof a rarity LOL

·
Registered
354 Posts
oh cool, always nice to see another MECP cert. tech around. i first certified in 1997, went silver not long after and kept that until i quit the industry in 2011. never bothered with the master cert because no employer was willing to give me anything extra pay wise nor would they reimburse me for the cost of the test.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never bothered with the master cert because no employer was willing to give me anything extra pay wise nor would they reimburse me for the cost of the test.
i was certified in 2002 and you said a lot here as to why i am not in this buisness anymore, i was getting the same wages as the kids that were getting hired off the streets that were new to the industry, after i have spent hundreds on certification tests throughout the years, i just let it expire

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an Optimus 260 watt amp and it has power and ground and the radio to amp sound cables. Do I need a remote for it to work?
yes you need some way of triggering the amp to turn on, if you have the factory radio you can tap into the switched 12v circuit, in which you will need a line output converter to connect the RCA's to the amp, but if you have a aftermarket deck the remote turn on wire will be blue in the install harness

those power and ground wires are just there to supply it with juice

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no problem

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm a little confused. In my '87 Daytona, I have FOUR wires leading down to where my speakers should be. For instance, right front has the Red/Blue wire and the Violet one, but also two more black wires on the connector. What are these extra black wires for?

·
Super Moderator
11,683 Posts
some cars would have an amp on the rear and door speakers - those extra 2 wires would be power and ground for those amps

the 4 wire plugs and often the extra wires are found in the car even if it didn't have the amps on the speakers

it's cheeper to make only 1 harness instead of tooling up to make 2 or more diff ones

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep johnnys right, the two center wires are the ones you are after for speaker install

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for 1987 Chrysler radios?? The radios that use a DIN....I want to know what each of the 8 prongs on the back of the radio are for..ie...power, speakers, etc...thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am sort of at a loss. I've got an 88 daytona shelby and I am following the wire color coding in the OP but am stuck on gray connect number 6 wire. For the left front neg it shows I need a Brown-red wire... I have no brown red on my harness. I do have about 3 different shades of green, green-yellow, and green-darksomething.

Basically I have that goop that leaked out from under the dash and ruined the after market radio someone installed, so I'm trying to revert back to factory. However, when they installed the Jensen aftermarket radio they cut just about every wire as short as they could.. idiots.

Taking a battery to all 14 wires one at a time has proven fruitless after an hour and my back is killing me.

This is what I'm dealing with...

Can anyone help me with this?

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can help you with this can you take a pic of the wires in a row so I can see what I am dealing with

1 - 20 of 23 Posts