Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock '84 T-1 Lebaron convertible (107K) seems to be overboosting. Under WOT it will buck and sputter like it's cutting out from overboost. I've replaced the HG (MP4452005) and put the correct 126-tooth Goodyear Gatorback Timingbelt on it. I have the timing set at 12 degrees BTDC (this 1984 year engine timing spec is 12 degrees BTDC right?) New Champion 12's gapped at .035. All pretty much set to factory specs. I'm lucky and still have the VECI sticker and have all the vac lines run right. Hoses all snug. Isn't the Wastegate a mechanical one for this particular year? It seems firmly connected. The bucking only happens at WOT but it seems to only want to go 50-55mph. No codes. I've rechecked the timing three times and it holds at 12 degrees. Made sure CTS was disconnected too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
PTT, what boost are you seeing? You have decent gauge to check it? My 84 would do that but at about 14 PSI or so. Is the rest of it dead stock?
May be the small hose from that three way port on the top of the intake back to the wastegate is split or broken off.
Tom Hand
Lee's Summit, MO

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's bone stock with the repairs mentioned. Just installed a new white top. I just did a tranny pan drop and new fluid/filter. I'm going to recheck the vacuum lines and see what I can find. I can't get the wastegate rod to budge but haven't really tried too hard. Could the wastegate not be working and causing overboost shutdown? There are a few older 2.2L T-1 turbos in the two local u-pick yards to cannabilize but they are getting crushed at an alarmingly fast rate with the price of scrap steel going up! I'll post back what I find concerning the vac-lines. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
PTT, I have several T1 turbos left over from my hot rod 84 600 turbo I used to race. No sweat getting you a good waste gate if you need one.
Tom

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
84 uses a wastegate can with 2 nipples, one for vaccuum with the TB and the other for MAP. remove the rod and check the waste gate flapper see if it moves, lube everything, while it off pull the rod and see if its resists and springs back. if it does its good, if the wastegate is stuck shut it wiuld cause overboost, my car liked 14psi and then at 15psi would cut out and buck but the 84 loves that boost and i know mine did it when the wastegate flapper wasnt opening fully

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a factory boost gauge from a 89 Daytona hooked up under the hood to a vac source nipple and it would move slightly past 0 and maybe 2-3lbs of boost when blipped to WOT in park. I realize the factory gauges were not real accurate. Just driving it around the block I can feel it boosting by the way it really plants me back in the seat! Someone posted that this old car may have to be "driven" and in motion at WOT in order to get a boost gauge reading? Hmmm....

·
Registered
2 Posts
It may not be overboosting. I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a bad fuel pressure regulator. It was going lean on me and I didn't figure it out until after two ring lands on the piston in #4 broke.

Regulators are cheap, so you might want to just give it a try. Wouldn't hurt to have a new one anyway.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great idea! Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
you still haven't answered what boost you are seeing when you are hitting this overboost condition. This is very critical to knowing what is happening with the vehicle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had two different boost gauges hooked up to it. One is from an '89 Daytona and the other is the one with the little lighted info windows to the right of the boost gauge. Both are factory gauges and they both only show around 2lbs at the most when I go to WOT in the drive way. While on the street I can't see the gauges under the hood so I'll have to rig something and tape the gauge to the windshield. With the inaccuracy of factory gauges is this info any help? Is it true the car must be driven on the street at WOT to get an accruate boost reading? While changing the MP4452005 HG and 10mm headbolts I worked the wastegate rod and I seem to recall it was very firm but movable. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
yes you need it under load to make boost, revving in park wont produce more than a 1psi at most on a 5spd an auto you an brake boost in drive

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to find some hose to run from the nipple on the intake so I can see what it's boosting under load. I'll post back results. Thanks all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi
I purchased this car from ptt, and I'm having the same problems with it. I really don't know too much about cars, but i'm willing to try and have plenty of tools, but not much money to drop into the car. I cant get the wastegate rod to move at all, except for leaning on a crowbar to move it. I hear a hissing sound and the rpms go up when i do this. I think i need a new wastegate, or i need to get the old one working.

·
Registered
73 Posts
REPAIR UPDATE

I used a hose clamp to halfway open the wastegate. (turns out i was turning it the wrong way. Like i said, i don't know too much about cars.) I still get a little overboost at full throttle, and not much boost throughout the RPM's, but it's better than nothing. I can actually accelerate easily to 65 mph. My problem is apparently the wastegate actuator diaphragm, does anyone have one sitting around? or just the entire actuator assembly? or instructions to rebuild one? I looked online for one, but I couldn't find one with 2 nipples that would fit it, they all had one nipple. Could anyone help me?

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Well keeping the wastegate open is not going to allow it to control boost. Get a vac pump and pump vac into the wastegate and see if it will move. It's lack of movement is most likely a stuck wastegate and needs a new one. It should move with some force but the amount of force that you seem to be exerting seems to me like your wastegate is screwed. You could convert to later electronics. 84 was a strange year. Non computer controlled boost, early ignition, and other little quirks.
Donovan's Dodge Garage is a good place to start gaining knowledge about your car. Some mods are outdated but the info is still relevant.
I would suggest you put a request in the parts wanted section for an 84 wastegate. You are close to me but I dont have any early 84's (I dont think). I think both of my newyorker parts cars are 85's.
Q

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Well keeping the wastegate open is not going to allow it to control boost. Get a vac pump and pump vac into the wastegate and see if it will move. It's lack of movement is most likely a stuck wastegate and needs a new one. It should move with some force but the amount of force that you seem to be exerting seems to me like your wastegate is screwed. You could convert to later electronics. 84 was a strange year. Non computer controlled boost, early ignition, and other little quirks.
Donovan's Dodge Garage is a good place to start gaining knowledge about your car. Some mods are outdated but the info is still relevant.
I would suggest you put a request in the parts wanted section for an 84 wastegate. You are close to me but I dont have any early 84's (I dont think). I think both of my newyorker parts cars are 85's.
Q

Well when you say waste-gate, are you talking about the valve inside the exhaust that directs flow? or are you talking about the diaphragm that moves that little valve? Because the one inside the exhaust (what i call the wastegate) seems to work, but the diaphragm (what i call the wastegate actuator) just doesn't. Like I said, this is a temporary fix till I can get the money to buy a new one. How much work (and money) would be involved in changing my mechanically operated wastegate to a computer or electronically controlled wastegate? Because according to what i've read, the computer operated ones will allow 9 psi of boost before overboost while the mechanically operated ones will only allow 7psi. Thank you for your help.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
Yes wastegate actuator. sorry gotta be more specific.
Well your best bet to converting to later electronics would be getting a full 86 k-car turbo harness and logic module (the module in the passenger side kick panel of your car). You will also need a later distributor, the solenoids on the side of the engine bay, and a later distributor pick up. Changing harnesses can be labor intensive.
You can run 9 on later electronics that is correct.
OR you could just convert to t2. That would make the little k-car fly. But I figure you just want a nice running car to drive. Therefore I would suggest you fix what you have at the moment then contemplate all your future options for the car later.
Most likely you wont find a *new* wastegate. You will have to find a used one off of ebay or here.
A post in the parts wanted thread should hopefully yield you one.
If you are striking out I will check my newyorkers. They are in the back of the yard (28 acres) through mud and trees so it may take me a bit to go look.
Q

·
Registered
134 Posts
i took off the 2 nipple wg acuator...as far as the surging it sounds like over boost or a map sensor problem i have a 84 5spd 2,2l t1 running about 10 15psi. the computer will over boost at 11psi of boost or i think its 3.94volts at the map it will instant cut. the timing is correct? the 84 wiring harness i have started to master is a bitch. the wiring and sensors are totally different form everything else but easier i belive. if that makes any sense lol. i would try to hook up like a vac pump to the wastegate like mentioned and see if it move maybe try to put a little oil on it. if you tear the diaphram youll need a new wg. any code set when it surges?

·
Registered
73 Posts
actually ii've learned not to trust previoius owners. He said he checked all the vacuum lines, so i didn't worry about that. But turns out the lower vaccuum line was rotted off. 5 bucks, 1 burn, an ten minutes later it's fixed and running like a beast. except for one thing, it doesn't seem to have any boost after 1st gear (it's an auto). Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts