Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, heres the deal:
i have spark, i've checked all 4 plugs and they all have spark. coil is good, distributor is good (i assume since i have fire on all plug wires)
fuel pump is good, removed fuel filter (fuel filter is good, because I can blow air through it.) and it will shoot out gas on priming and cranking.
the car cranks just fine.
it just wont start.
2.2, fuel injected, turbocharged.
What should I check next?

car ran just fine until i was stopped at a stoplight. it just died. For awhile now, it would occasionally have no power, not sure if this is related. computer gives me no new trouble codes (except for 33, which is a/c, but a/c works fine, so idk whats up with that.) only thing that changed that day is that i put a new light bulb in the steering column. recently changed alternator and water pump too, but it was working for about a day before this happened. please help!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
only reasons for a car not to start are no spark, no fuel, or bad timing. Just because it'll move fuel doesn't mean it's putting out enough pressure to be useful, so get a gauge on there. If that fails, check the timing. Wouldn't be the first time someone's belt jumped a little.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Try advancing the timing on your distributor. Do this little at a time. If you jumped the belt a little you should get it to fire, of course this isn't really a fix but more of a diagnosis. If it does work at least you'll be able to limp it around for a while. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know this is a dumb question, but how do you do check timing, and how do you change it? is there a way to do it without removing the valve cover, if i do remove the cover can i use rtv sealant instead of a new gasket, and could i use a pnuematic pressure gauge, like a tire gauge, in place of a fuel gauge? the nipple on the fuel rail looks like the tire stems...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
for the fuel pressure, you'll want the right fuel pressure gauge. try to put a tire chuck on there and fuel is going to go everywhere. They aren't too expensive, I don't think. You might even be able to beg or borrow one. More people have them than you think.

For the timing, you'll want to pull that little rubber-foam stopper from the top of the transmission next to the block, and spin the crank by hand until you see the little slot in the flywheel, and line it up with the zero. Removing the sparkplugs first can help make it easier. Then check that the two little arrows in the cam gear are pointing at the seam between the endcap and the head, where the camshaft is bolted in. If that's set alright, pull the distributer cap and make sure the rotor is pointed aproximately at the second sparkplug from the left. If any of that is off, you need to reset your timing.

There are pretty decent instructions at thedodgegarage.com, if I remember right. It won't require pulling the valve cover.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, the timing is just fine. ive got pressure at the fuel rail, but when i pulled the plugs and my friend was cranking the car, no gas shot out. maybe somethings causing the injectors not to fire? god i hope the logic module isn't out. any good way to check the logic module? i disconnected it, and nothing seemed to change about the car.

·
Administrator
26,346 Posts
You are jumping ahead of yourself.
Get back to the beginning and check your basics.

Verify the ASD Relay and its related circuits are functioning properly.
You can manually actuate the ASD to check the circuit.
This is the proper method for 85-90 and the 84 wiring looks to be the same so you will let me know.
Locate the underhood diagnostic connector.(front of right shock tower)
With the key on/engine off ground the DB/YL wire, this will actuate the ASD relay.
You should have power(battery voltage) at the + coil, DG wire at the injector harness and fuel pump(you may hear the pump run).
Is power present at all 3?
If yes...
Remove the jumper wire from the diag connector and while cranking the engine check for power at the + coil and DG wire at the injector harness.
Is power present cranking?
A couple of things to check....
The ground wire from the fuel rail to rear of engine.
The 6 way connector at the rear R/S of the valve cover.
Post back with your findings.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ok, the timing is just fine. ive got pressure at the fuel rail, but when i pulled the plugs and my friend was cranking the car, no gas shot out. maybe somethings causing the injectors not to fire? god i hope the logic module isn't out. any good way to check the logic module? i disconnected it, and nothing seemed to change about the car.
the gas will be pretty well atomized, so it won't come shooting out the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry, havent had a chance to post.

something i did fixed the car, but during the course of my investigations i reversed plugs 1 and 4.

but now the tranny is making a clanging sound in drive. thought it was the shield on the bottom of the tranny, but removed that and it didn't help. sounds kind of like somethings hitting the radiator fan, but it's not, and it's coming from the transmission area.

any ideas? it sounds pretty damn horrible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.