Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for some answers on converting 84 G bodys from T1 to T2.From the way I see it from looking at wiring diagrams you need to literally rewire the entire car front to rear!I have an 88 t2 Daytona shelbyz that has all the options my 84 has except rear wiper.I Have removed the dash and ALL the wiring (doors windows seats etc).going to finish when the weather gets a little better.Will be removing every wire in the donor car.This looks like a lot of wiring work just to make my DD 84 a little faster.I would hate to disassemble my perfectly good running 84 then end up not being able to get it back together.Will some one that knows for SURE, is this all necessary?Seems to me I could get by just changing injector sizes in the two lean cylinders.Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!Serious answers from people with experience only please.I see several 84 owners who think you can just change to 85 engine harness and use an overlay--I don't think so. HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi 4Daytonas I have personally done this on my 84 Daytona. If all you want to do is upgrade to run the 88 computer to control your engine. You DO NOT need to rewire the whole car. What you will be doing is eliminating your controler that is currently in your RHS foot well. You will need to run some wires from that unit to the new 88 computer.
When I did it I connected all the sensors from the 88 computer and got the car to run with the new computer before I started hacking away at the stock harness. I also converted my intake log type manifold to the two piece intake. I can't remember if I did this at the same time or after wards. Make sure you have both wiring schematics for your 84 as well as 88 so that you know which wire will go with it's corresponding wire on your 84 car. To give you some encouragement on this project. My car runs a lot better/smoother now that I have the 88 electronics in it and I get excellent gas milleage.
It's a shame you are not local to me or I would personally give you a hand. I had a hard time getting answeres when I converted my car. When I got the car to run with the 88 SBEC I got encouraged to move forward. As I sated you should do this before you start hacking the stock harness. This way you will know that your car will start and run with the new stuff. I also made sure I got as many of the sensors with the harness fron the donor car. Oh yeah you will have to change to the 88 distributor. Let me know if you need help, I will be more than glad to help you out with as much info as I can.

Ed

·
Registered
72 Posts
One more thing. You may have already found this out . There are a lot of little things on the 84 cars that where specific only to the 84 cars.

Ed C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts