Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum here, I’ve got an 84 GLH non turbo car that started losing oil pressure a little while ago and I’m looking to revamp the motor but I know the camshafts are different than the standard 2.2, anyone know where I could possibly find a replacement? Second question is I have an 85 Shelby charger with 40,000 original miles on it that’s been sitting on jack stands and under a cover for 10 years but nothing was wrong with it when it was put away but I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion about a pre motor prime or things I should do prior before trying to start it up again. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
24,675 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

If the 85 SC has been sitting outside for 10 years first you want to perform a physical inspection of the vehicle for chewed wiring, damaged rubber fuel line, nests or any restrictions in the air intake system, etc.
You will next want to drain all old fuel from the tank and refill with fresh fuel.
Change the oil and filter.
Remove the spark plugs and use a small amount of motor oil or Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand using a breaker bar/ratchet at the crank pulley.
Assuming this is a turbo car...
If the engine turns easily, next you will want to Manually actuate the ASD Relay and look for any fuel leaks.
a)To manually actuate the ASD Relay locate the underhood diagnostic connector and ground the DB/YL wire in the connector and turn the key on, this will actuate the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel system.
ELECTRICAL- Diagnostic Connector.jpg 6-ASD Manual Actuation.JPG

Disconnect the fuel pump and crank the engine by hand until you have oil pressure.
Once all of the above is done you should be safe to attempt to start the vehicle.

If you encounter any problems we are here to assist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for that info! Do you know if they offer the camshaft for the high output 2.2L? From what I saw from that link you sent it says for std Omni and doesn’t say anything about the GLH model 2.2. Thanks so much again for the reply!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I forgot to mention the SC has been garage kept during that timeframe. Just put it up one day preparing to repaint it and time got away from me

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
IIRC, about .030 was cut from the deck of the NA HO blocks to increase compression. This results in camshaft timing being retarded. I believe the NA camshafts were all the same, but they used a slightly different cam pulley (4201992) for the HO engines to further retard cam timing. The turbo cars did get a slightly milder duration camshaft. All 88+ cars used a roller camshaft. The 88 NA Omni used a roller camshaft that still retained the square tooth timing belt. That application was supposed to have a camshaft that had more duration than the turbo camshafts. This is a very common upgrade for all 2.2/2.5 engine over the 87 and earlier slider camshaft designs. If changing over to a roller camshaft, you need the roller camshaft along with the 8 roller followers (rocker arms). BTW the roller camshafts used a slightly heavier valve spring than the slider camshafts. Had about 25 lbs more open spring pressure. If going through cylinder head replace springs regardless of upgrading camshaft or not. They're cheap.
On to the second question. Assuming this is a turbo engine in SC. Make sure your engine turns over by hand before trying to start it using starter. I would pull the plugs at this point. 10 year old fuel isn't going to work very well if at all. Your fuel pump may not even work at this point. I would run a jumper wire over from battery to positive side of coil, and see if you hear fuel pump running. If it does, I would take fuel line feed and drain old fuel into container using fuel pump, and discard fuel. Replace with some fresh fuel. Once again use fuel pump to run fresh fuel up to injectors.
I would change oil and filter. Oil pump can be helped to prime by filling oil filter and also filling lower hole under oil feed boss with oil (see attachment). What I would do next if engine turns over fine is (plugs out) spin over engine with starter until you see oil pressure on gauge and engine light extinguishes (key on engine off KOEO) . Pulling plugs helps engine spin at faster RPM so oil pump can prime quicker. After both occur, it would then try to start it.
Obviously make sure other fluids are filled before trying to start engine. Also check tranny fluid. Many times manuals trannys will weep out output shaft seals, diff cover, bearing retainer covers, etc. You don't want to drive around with low oil level in tranny. Also check to make sure you have brakes before driving. Stay close to home as often these calipers stick and your brakes may drag. Plan on flushing brake fluid through vehicle after it gets up and running.
Good luck, and we are here to help if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again thanks for all the feedback guys! The Charger looks like a pretty straight forward job for me but as for the GLH I’ve been getting some mixed answers from everywhere I’ve asked. I already knew about the blocks being cut to gain the higher compression, but some places are saying that the camshaft that came in it has a more performance profile to it than a std Omni camshaft and that it’s the same one in the 2.2 HO (non turbo) chargers. I knew the GLH was gonna be my biggest headache with not so many of the non turbo ones out there but it ran so good before the oil pressure issue I just don’t want to be wrong on this and ruin a matching numbers motor.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Once again thanks for all the feedback guys! The Charger looks like a pretty straight forward job for me but as for the GLH I’ve been getting some mixed answers from everywhere I’ve asked. I already knew about the blocks being cut to gain the higher compression, but some places are saying that the camshaft that came in it has a more performance profile to it than a std Omni camshaft and that it’s the same one in the 2.2 HO (non turbo) chargers. I knew the GLH was gonna be my biggest headache with not so many of the non turbo ones out there but it ran so good before the oil pressure issue I just don’t want to be wrong on this and ruin a matching numbers motor.
This isn't your classic muscle car scenario. Meaning, I wouldn't worry about the #'s matching anything FWD. Most enthusiasts would be hard pressed to even definitively know what to look for to confirm or reject a powertrain being #'s matching or not. The rest of the enthusiasts couldn't care less, as long as it was a performance and longevity gain. No one is ever going to know or even care if you have a roller cam under the valve cover or not. The slider cams did have a wear issue. Most would welcome a roller camshaft being installed (because they don't have wear issues, are quieter running, and have less parasitic HP losses), but there are a few guys that love the sliders, because they had a bit more duration than the rollers.

There was some debate about the NA HO engines camshaft pulley. What I have NEVER seen is a separate camshaft part # for NA HO engines (we've looked). The HO is definitely a unique pulley, but is the pulley really retarded for more high RPM power, or is it slightly advanced to correct the camshaft from being retarded due to the .030 cut of the decked block? The only difference being where the keyway is cut. So in other words, is the performance gain strictly from compression bump, carb, & spark advance adjustments, or does it get majority of HP bump from camshaft being retarded? Or is it from a combo of both? Note, I believe the NA HO engines also came with a deeper gear 3.87 FD vs. the turbos 3.56 FD. That could also account for many people noting the low end acceleration grunt of the HO engines.

I degree camshafts in all the time, but have never slipped a #992 pulley on to see if it retarded or advanced cam timing just because I don't currently own one. There are several other pulleys that do this, both retarding & advancing camshaft, not just the #992 pulley. It just depends on the application.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help! These are my spring projects so every bit of information helps a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts