Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just picked up this good condition Plymouth Turbo GTS with 74k miles.

Issues:
I'm refreshing it with available components, but it looks like the MAF sensor foil is coming apart. The temp gauge does not work. The idle is sporadic and the car stalls often at idle. There is some breaking up on hard acceleration around 3k rpms.

If anyone has any aftermarket parts or a good condition MAF sensor, please let me know as I'd like to make this car run in peak condition. If any owners have any suggestions please let me know!

I'll post more pics as I go.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for posting this. I owned a charcoal 84 turbo colt many years ago. White and sliver were my fav. 84 Colt colors. It was a blast to drive. I bolted on a bigger exhaust, slightly bigger turbo, HKS fuel cut defencer. IIRC, ran around 13 PSI. Good for 14.50-14.40's. I think stock were low 16's. Bigger sway bars too! Can't forget about the corners. These turbo colts would get 30+ MPG no matter how hard you drove it. Loved the twin stick tranny, however that cost me once. A bolt backed itself off deep inside the tranny, so had a tranny shop do the repair since they knew exactly what was wrong. I believe I lost my MAF sensor once as well. Back when these cars were plentiful, the older model colts came with aluminum bumpers to swap, so that was a good way to shed some more pounds off the already featherweight car. The steel bumpers rusted badly in the snow belt. Powdercoated aluminum held up great. IIRC, those jet valves were troublesome on these models.
Have fun with the car, It looks amazingly clean and well maintained.I wish I still had mine. I had to have a fire sale on lots of cars when I had to relocate because of job change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@4 L-bodies thanks for sharing. It's a shame the car is mostly gone and forgotten and parts are so rare. I'm eager to drive it but I'm also super anxious to break anything. I put in a big order with Rockauto to stock some of the available parts, but some - like the MAF sensor - could prove to be a major problem. I work in the aftermarket parts industry, which does me no good as sadly the only mod available new seems to be a K&N filter.

If you have any advice please let me know! I'm taking it slow until the Haynes manual shows up.

-Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone tell me if this metal honeycomb material in the MAF is necessary for proper operation? it was damaged and loose.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I do know on LS engines, many people remove the honeycomb material in front of the sensor. Not sure what effect this will be on your application. The purpose of the honeycomb like material inside the areas where the air flows through is to straighten the air moving through so that Karmen vortexs occur. Your driveability issues could very well be mass air flow sensor related. I believe you can hook up an analog VOM and count the pulses looking for any diagnostic codes. Much like the power loss light on our Mopars. Remember doing it, but that was long ago. That and all the other code retrievals sort of blend together after the years. Your Haynes manual should show where to connect for the diagnostic, and should show you what the codes are. Passenger side of dash maybe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I imagined it was for straightening the air but not sure of how sensitive the sensor is, but I do know that some modern cars are sensitive to things like that. I ran it last night and the idle is a bit smoothed out, albeit high, and after warming up it was smoking at idle and noticeably so during revving. She's not making chocolate milk and it's hard to gauge if its oil or coolant based on smell. I'll do a leakdown test later this week to gauge what's going on.

I'm excited for the Rockauto order with almost every replacement part available to tune the car up, which it needs. I have a spare turbo which I am considering having rebuilt as well just to have it running as well as it can. I'm relatively in the dark until Friday when the Haynes manual arrives. I've built a turbo Miata from the ground up but this is a new challenge with some interesting technology, looking forward to coming out wiser and on top - hopefully.

Questions if anyone has experience:
Best oil weight for this engine?
Any drivability or reliability repercussions to deleting the charcoal canister or EGR system?

-Mike

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Mike,
I lost a turbo in my Colt. In my case the car was smoking. Upon disassembly the metal deflector directly behind the turbine wheel rusted out! On the Garrett's, this is made out of stainless, no so on the Colt's turbo. I wouldn't be surprised if this was your issue too. Those turbos were super easy to rebuild. Later on, I ended up putting on a larger turbo on mine. I believe both turbine and compressor wheel were larger.
I deleted EGR on all my 85-87 log manifold TD's as well as on my 86 GLHS's I've owned. Had absolutely no issues in doing so on any of them. In fact driveabilty was better in almost every case. In 87, the intercooled turbo Dodge cars eliminated the EGR. Charcoal canister should not cause any performance issues so why would you want to delete that?
IIRC, these cars had solid lash adjusters not hydraulic. They need to have lash set periodically. They also used that tiny 3rd jet valve. I remember those being an issue for people back in the day. Think it was to introduce swirl into the chamber?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for sharing, great info. I'll inspect the turbo. I have a spare which I will likely rebuild. Did you delete the catalytic converters without any issue by chance?

Removing stuff is just a quirk to tinker. I'm a fan of cleaning up engine bays as much as possible - here's my old 90' Miata:

-Mike

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Mike,
Nice looking Miata. Well done! The aftermarket sure supports that car a lot more than the TD or turbo Colts. Back in the day the Mitsubishi line had some aftermarket support with the Starion, Cordia, Colt, Mirage, DSM cars, Galant VR-4, 3000GT, etc. Back in the early and mid 90's I lived just up the street from Alamoautosports. They were a well known Mitsubishi tuner. Always had 3-6 Starion's, or Conquests at any one time getting headgasket changes and upgrades. I'd stop in to buy red line oil there. Some of the guys saw my car out at Alamo dragstrip and would make comments about it. mostly good.
Yes, as with pretty much any turbo car, any restriction downstream of the turbo you don't want. The turbo is enough of a restriction (lol). I made up exhaust on my 84 Colt with 2-3/8" mandrel bent tubing. I believe back in the day HKS had a kit for a 85+ Colt, but IIRC, never offered one for the 84's. They weren't close to being able to fit.
Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts