Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brother and I picked up a 2.2 automatic with AC from Georgia. We used to have one in high school and always thought it would be fun to have one again and mod it up over time! This Prospector is mostly original with 130K and no rust of any concern. The body has dents and dings here and there, but not crunched. Our goal is not an immediate (expensive) rebuild, but just to hold onto it and make improvements over time. The long game is a fully restored and customized Page with an electric drivetrain and possibly RWD or even AWD. For now, just fixing things in stock fashion and getting it drivable!

Pic is from January 2020 after it was shipped here to Iowa. We aren't driving it at all in winter in order to keep it away from salt and sand. So we had a few fun test drives and then washed it. Paint has no clear coat and the wheels are ridiculous, but all in good time!
Page.jpg

Registered
Nice to see. I love those Rampages. Almost impossible to find one here in Manitoba! They are all rusted out. Keep us updated on progress.

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's a flashback to the late 80s to the house I grew up in. Pretty sure Patrick (older bro) is pulling the wagon, and I'm sitting in the whiskey cask. Younger brother (b.1989) may not have been born.

The '84 Rampage pictured (not the one we're rebuilding) was first purchased by my grandparents. They gave it to one of the grandkids who drove it for years. When my older brother and I were old enough to drive in about 2000, my dad bought it from the cousin. We had it couple years, and boy we DROVE IT. It was a 2.2 with 5-speed stick, and so much fun. That car is the reason that we brought home the project car 20 years later!

**Props if you can name the pickup next to it, or the gray car in the garage!
1605815650182.png

Registered
I tried to PM you, but it's not working for me. so:

I've been driving mine in Alaska for too many years to remember. This is a great car for the snow, but I bail for the winter to Arizona so it's in the garage all winter: one spot of rust.

Now It's time to do what you are doing and go through the 84 Rampage and bring it back to... not sure. I'm sort of thinking of converting it to electric. We have a surplus of hydroelectric in Juneau and I can charge it up for free, but the cost of the conversion would not warrant the effort. However, I could realize a significant improvement in performance.:) Probably the best course of action is to just rip out everything not relevant to producing power and maybe "soup up" the 2.2. then call it good.

With your permission, I would like to follow you and your efforts and ask for advice from time-to time. I stopped any real mechanicing years ago, but still fiddle around with cars, boats and bikes so modern systems are pretty foreign to me. Thanks for your time.

A

Premium Member
Here's a flashback to the late 80s to the house I grew up in. Pretty sure Patrick (older bro) is pulling the wagon, and I'm sitting in the whiskey cask. Younger brother (b.1989) may not have been born.

The '84 Rampage pictured (not the one we're rebuilding) was first purchased by my grandparents. They gave it to one of the grandkids who drove it for years. When my older brother and I were old enough to drive in about 2000, my dad bought it from the cousin. We had it couple years, and boy we DROVE IT. It was a 2.2 with 5-speed stick, and so much fun. That car is the reason that we brought home the project car 20 years later!

**Props if you can name the pickup next to it, or the gray car in the garage!

View attachment 272690
I'll guess and say that the car in the garage is a Lancer ES Turbo in PA9 Charcoal Grey Metalic.

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Carb rebuild: Removed May 2020, cleaned and reassembled August 2020. It was full of all kinds of awful crud.
And yes, Dot's pretzels required for any job.
Dot's pretzels are a prereq for any job.

You'll notice two of the mounting holes in the body are damaged and worn. It went together solid enough for now, but in the "long term" (if it's not electrified yet) we'll replace the carb with something better anyway.

Yes, I used a cordless drill to gently drill out the idle set screw plug. I used a very small pilot at a short depth, first, and then the larger bit. Worked like a charm, and I did not drill through it so shavings were not an issue. I installed the replacement screw exactly per spec, but I suppose it's anyone's guess as to how well that'll go! We shall find out.
***Not sure why, but it doesn't look like I took photos of the parts fully cleaned and reassembled, so here endeth this post.

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #8
We have a surplus of hydroelectric in Juneau and I can charge it up for free, but the cost of the conversion would not warrant the effort. However, I could realize a significant improvement in performance.:) Probably the best course of action is to just rip out everything not relevant to producing power and maybe "soup up" the 2.2. then call it good.

With your permission, I would like to follow you and your efforts and ask for advice from time-to time.
I think we can all be "real" here and admit that the cost of converting any existing ICE vehicle greatly exceeds the savings, even if you can charge it for free. So with that said, I think we can all also agree that the significant performance improvement would be pretty stunning! :cool: For our part, converting "favorite cars" to electric is partly for performance but also to satisfy the desire to have vehicles we find cool that are more "green". Eventually I'd also like to convert a 90s Jeep XJ 4x4. The options for dialing in climb/descent, plus the performance itself, are fascinating.
Please do follow along! We're not pros by any means, but that's why we have a project car :)

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #9
July 2020 I replaced the FR hub entirely. The amount of play, when jacked up, was...terrifying. And to think we had gotten this baby up to 85 mph on the third test run, just for fun!
:oops:

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #10
August 2020: Replaced valve stem seals. We noticed when we bought it that a cold start produced a lot of oil burn. After running 10 minutes, it didn't smell like oil at all, and it ran great, so we figured valve steam seals would be a good idea. Not the most impossible job if you're not an idiot like me :D But I managed! Use a spring compresser and then a zip tie to keep a good bite. Ask me why... I didn't lose any keepers, thank goodness...

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #11
August 20 removal, Winter reinstall: CRINGE warning! Before removing the camshaft, we noticed the intake lobe for #3 was ground funny and the rocker was worn to match!! It might have lived, but we decided that since it's torn apart we would just replace the camshaft and that one rocker. Also not the most fun job, especially getting the pulleys pulled off the ends, but managed to get it all done safely.

Registered
'84 Rampage 2.2
Discussion Starter #12
Today: Pulled the AC compressor and lines. Had it pumped down last fall. I鈥檓 cutting small blocks and some gasket to bolt to the mounting flanges of the radiator and the exchange behind the firewall, will post.
Note: Had not posted before, but this shows reinstalled valve stem seals, camshaft, end seals, valve cover, and one-piece VC gasket. We鈥檒l see how that gasket performs. Top side is super clean now 馃槑 And so much more space!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts