Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question, I know this is common knowledge on how to read codes, turn ignition on/off/on..... and count the flashes. How do you read the codes on a L-body? I have had my dash out, there is no check engine light, and I have checked all of the bulbs, which all are working. What are my options to check for codes, is the door about to hit me in the face? :unsure: Feel silly asking this question.

·
Administrator
25,653 Posts
You mean how do you read the codes on a Carburated L-Body that now has an 86 Turbo engine in it?
Since you still have the Carburated cluster the only way to retrieve codes will be with a scanner, assuming you also installed the 86 wiring harness with the diagnostic connector.
The other option would be to swap in a newer cluster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean how do you read the codes on a Carbureted L-Body that now has an 86 Turbo engine in it?
Since you still have the Carbureted cluster the only way to retrieve codes will be with a scanner, assuming you also installed the 86 wiring harness with the diagnostic connector.
The other option would be to swap in a newer cluster.
Yep, that would be why I have no check engine light, there is not one in the cluster! 💡 I do have the diagnostic connector, it is by the coil. My tacho is inop currently on my cluster, so good excuse to change out the cluster - would I need to add any extra wiring to have the diagnostic function?

Can any of these scanners from Amazon - Innova 3170 - with adapters be able to read our codes?

·
Administrator
25,653 Posts
Yep, that would be why I have no check engine light, there is not one in the cluster! 💡 I do have the diagnostic connector, it is by the coil. My tacho is inop currently on my cluster, so good excuse to change out the cluster - would I need to add any extra wiring to have the diagnostic function?

Can any of these scanners from Amazon - Innova 3170 - with adapters be able to read our codes?
That scanner appears to have the proper Chrysler connector, however, the wording states...
"Includes OBD1 adapters to let you retrieve diagnostic trouble codes".
If all it will do on OBD 1 is retrieve codes but has no data stream/actuator tests for Chrysler OBD1 then IMO it is not worth buying, the exception would be if you have newer OBD2 vehicles you also want to be able to access.

The scanners that will do everything on our cars are...
OTC Monitor 4000E, Snap On MT2500 and the Chrysler DRBII, being sure they come with the proper cables/cartridges.

·
Super Moderator
11,870 Posts
if, you remove a carb L body harness from the car and replace it with a turbo L body harness and convert the car completely

you should get fault codes from the ALREADY THERE "power loss" lamp in the cluster..

no change to the dash harness or cluster is required.. but check for a bulb , a good one in the socket behind "power loss"

it also lights up when the rev limit is reached..
heh heh.. when you get good.. you can make the lamp start to light up but not get bright...cough..top ah third....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if, you remove a carb L body harness from the car and replace it with a turbo L body harness and convert the car completely

you should get fault codes from the ALREADY THERE "power loss" lamp in the cluster..

no change to the dash harness or cluster is required.. but check for a bulb , a good one in the socket behind "power loss"

it also lights up when the rev limit is reached..
heh heh.. when you get good.. you can make the lamp start to light up but not get bright...cough..top ah third....
So I tried to retrieve codes, and got nothing from my "Power Loss" lamp. Pulled cluster out, applied 12v to posts on back of cluster to verify light, and it lights up. Installed cluster and tried again, no codes or flashes. Which circuits do I need to verify between the T-1 harness and body haness?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thank you! (y) Looks like I need to trace out the Black/Orange from Logic Module.

On a second thought, my tacho is inop also, do you know what kind of ouput signal there is? Just want to verify if the issue is in the cluster set, or maybe a bad connection. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts