Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I now have to ask this silly question and look like a fool. I am currently working on my project car and I have raised a question about part compatibility. I am planning on using an 85' block which is a *common block?* Correct me if i'm wrong. I have a crank out of a 90' T2 TC which would be a *Non-CB?* and I am wondering if I will have any issues. I'm about to send the block off to get checked and have the head bolts holes tapped to 11mm. I need to know. Also will I run into any issues with the oil pan/pump with said crank?

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
You have it backwards. The 85 is a *non commmon block* while any 89+ motor would be a *common block*.
The cranks dont interchange between non common blocks and common blocks. And a 90 tc crank is HELLA heavy.
Hope this helps.
Q

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The T2 crank is probably what he has, which is heavier then a cast, but not like the DOHC cam, which weighs ALOT more.

For interchangability, I would look for a good 89+ block. I am betting you are driving your 93 right now, but it would be a CB.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
The T2 crank is probably what he has, which is heavier then a cast, but not like the DOHC cam, which weighs ALOT more.

For interchangability, I would look for a good 89+ block. I am betting you are driving your 93 right now, but it would be a CB.
The forged cranks in the tc's are heavier then standard t2 forged cranks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol thanks for clearing up the common/non common block thing lol. Well the only problem now is the 93 is a 2.5 and I was building a 2.2 lol.. Shit looks like its time to find a new block or a different crank.. shits.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so did the 85' come with a cast or forged crank? How much hp could the stock one hold up to? Also I know the 85' is a 6 bolt instead of the 8 in the CB crank. Will I loose anything with going with the 6 bolt flywheel?

On a separate note would the T2 crank drop into the 2.5? and could I use the T2 rods just get a set of 2.5 pistons for $139 off FWDP?

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
You can use the 90 2.2 common block crank in the 85 non-CB block but you will have to get a CB oil pan, oil pickup, and front crank seal retainer plate, tap a few holes in the block and of course use all late model accessories. You can also go the other way...use an early crank in a CB engine, you just have to use an early 2.2 pan and pickup, as well as the early style front crank seal retainer and accessories.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the 93' engine is a 2.5 tbi and still in the 93 lol. It has a slight rod knock and 205k+ miles on it where as the 85' block only had 86k miles on it. I was going to make a T2 and drop it in using a 89' wiring harness and Stage 5 ecu. I have almost all the stuff to do it now and just need to figure out the whole block/crank issues. It's going to be my first engine build so I figure I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.