Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

· Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 85 GLH. Looking for some information/advise on getting more out of the 88 2.5 tall block TBI that is in it now.

Specs...
2.5 tall block
Blueprinted/Balanced
G-head milled(was told as much as possible), ported, and polished
ported intake manifold
ported TBI
mexico exhaust manifold
2.5" S/S exhaust(cat and muffler present at the moment)
early 88 TBI cam

Transmission...
413 case with V6 tranny internals from a Caravan(dont recall which trans)

That is what I can recall... I may be missing some items

What I am thinking...

TBI Spacer
Header, 2.5" exhaust(mandrel bent), muffler(not sure which would be good)
8mm MSD ignition wires, Blaster 2 coil ~ any suggestions?

What can I do to wake this thing up more:D

A568, any thought's on adding it? I know it would be alittle overkill... But it's here sitting lol.

· Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is from Alex, he is who built my GLH:D

Blue85GLH said:
Here are some quick answers: Head-85, Block-88 tall block, TBI - 88, Front loom and computer - 88, front minivan brakes, rotors, calipers - 88, Master cylinder 1995 D100 truck, sway bar 86 Aries, Seats 87 Daytona, tranny 94 A670 fitted to 4 cylinder case (year unknown), 7 qt custom windage skid plate oil pan (yr unkown), Pistons are either Mahle or Federal, don't know. Paint is 1995 Dark blue fro Neons and Dodge Rams.

The leading edge of hood, and lower body panels were painted with chopguard, to protect against sand and rock chips.

Autocross tires are Kuhmos, that were shaved and heat treated.

Oil filter is for Dodge 318 V8

· Banned
1,448 Posts
def go with the 5 spd swap
find yourself a N/A trans with the 3.85 gearset! it would be much better than the 568 gearing.

other than that the car looks like its pretty decked out! I cant see any reason why it wouldnt rip a sub 15 second pass @ low 90 mph...maybe even a high 14 w/traction?!

· Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
def go with the 5 spd swap
find yourself a N/A trans with the 3.85 gearset! it would be much better than the 568 gearing.

other than that the car looks like its pretty decked out! I cant see any reason why it wouldnt rip a sub 15 second pass @ low 90 mph...maybe even a high 14 w/traction?!
The 568 is 3.85FD, maybe im missing something:confused:

Traction isn't a problem, still havnt been able to skreet the tire(s) cause it sticks, corners and straight.

turbo it and forget the tbi, all so you can buy this harness from me:)
I posted in your CSX thread with a small list, I need to focus on getting that TD back before I TII another:p

· Registered
894 Posts
ill pull the 314 MP cam out of my car and trade you for one.

as far as i know for TBI, dont know much performance wise.

high compression, good cam, awesome flowing head/intake/exhaust.

but thats even general on a small block chevy, so im not much help....
lol

· Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill pull the 314 MP cam out of my car and trade you for one.

as far as i know for TBI, dont know much performance wise.

high compression, good cam, awesome flowing head/intake/exhaust.

but thats even general on a small block chevy, so im not much help....
lol
;)trade for what? lol

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
first, rip the TBI off and buy a carb. Not the POS Holley but either a Demon for big power and cams or a smaller Weber. The down side is the Demon is less money but requires more cam. What cam would I run? I would buy an F5 from FWD with PT lifters and Comp 26995 conical springs. Add the Demon carb and a header. Run the factory Shelby GLH wire harness and computer, or an MP computer. Buy a wide band or take it to the dyno and jet the carb for 13:1 AF. Then you'll be a big liar when you tell everyone the 2.5 revs past 7,000 lol. But NAs have a better intake for that. Buy 1.22 transfer gears for the trans. Is it an early trans? I would buy a mini van 84-85 and put the guts in it. The early mini have the lower transfer gear set. A 523 with 3.85 gears, a OBX posi and an SRT 4 shifter and an aluminum flywheel with a T2/T3 clutch would be heaven but $. The huge F5 cams are made to give more cylinder pressure and vac for a turbo and FI. So you can run a monster turbo cam in a street NA. I have the rare Hooley adapter plate for a project, it is a nice thing to look for. But if you can't find one break out the drill and a few gaskets and make your own carb plate.

2-Barrel Race Demons

the carb

Demon Accessories

you can buy a 350 carb out right, or buy the one with sleeves you can change. Get one orange sleeve and it'll drop the CFM under 300 slightly. Guys run 390 4 barrels and twin 2 barrels so one 350 is OK. A great carb on a stock NA is like Nitrous and thats no BS. The factory Holleys are just that bad and the TBI is tiny.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
MP 767 cam.(.460''Lift 240 duration) Its the biggest Hydraulic cam Mopar still sales. It thumps hard and makes plenty of power. Be sure to grab some High RPM lash adjusters, MP valve springs and sintered iron followers. Ive had this cam over 7500 RPMs in a 2.2 but the stock lash adjusters and rockers blew apart!

Longtube header all the way! There are 2 main ones out there. The Hooker with smaller primaries and a bend so you can still have a power steering pump, and the best one for power is the MP race header with 1 3/4'' primaries! I had the larger MP on my GLH at one point and it made crazy power! The down side is I couldnt run my stock PS pump, it hit the #1 primary. Ive heard that the newer style PS pump is small enough to work with the big header. I got a hooker for my new build(autozone.com is the cheapest place to get one new!) and it has smaller primaries(1.5'' or 1 3/8''?) but it should still be very impressive.

Definately put in the A568! My brother in law has an 83 SC with a stock 2.2HO. He bought it with a bad trans and we swapped in a 525 w/ 3.55FD and the car slowed down noticeably. We recently put a correct 3.87FD back in it and it picks up alot faster now.

As far as intake goes it depends on the fuel mileage you want. The stock carbs are difficult to use and the TBI is to small for the cam and compression. For raw power go dual side draft Webers(thats what Im doin) but fuel mileage will suffer considerably. If it was a DD Id try to make the TBI setup work.

You need to get new Decals for that thing! Itll so good with the decals back on it! Positiveimpressions.com!

By the way, I love that GLH! Ive had my eye on it for a long time. I just cant justify buying another GLH when mine isnt even put back together yet. And if you ever want to sell the hitch LMK. My GLH had one but I took it off when I swapped bumpers and it dissappeared. I even bought a small trailer and began redoing it just for my Omni(Graphic Red just like my GLH) before I realized my hitch was gone!

· Banned
1,448 Posts
Definately put in the A568! My brother in law has an 83 SC with a stock 2.2HO. He bought it with a bad trans and we swapped in a 525 w/ 3.55FD and the car slowed down noticeably. We recently put a correct 3.87FD back in it and it picks up alot faster now.

was the 525 3.55fd a turbo trans??? that would be why the car slowed down ;)

YES the A568 has a 3.85fd.....but like the Pope said, find yourself a A523 3.85fd N/A transmission.

gearsets are different between n/a and turbo, even tho the FD is the same. check the DDG for the tranny gear ratio chart and you should easily be able to see it more clearly.

example....you can make a hybrid trans with the A568 gearset and a 3.50fd. if you take the gearset from a A523 3.85fd trans and change it to 3.50....you just made yourself a A523 turbo tranny.

basically what you want is a gearset from any N/A vehicle, and also any 3.50 turbo gearset will work. just get youself a 3.85 shaft!! im sure there are plenty around with all these people doing hybrids.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Yeah it was a turbo trans. The gears were longer and fuel mileage was great but it wasnt as much fun through the gears.

Im keeping the 525 3.85FD trans in my GLH because it has perfect gears for the 2.2 N/As power band. However first gear is gonna be rediculous for traction since youll have all the torque from the 2.5 tall block. With no more than 10.2:1CR, the MP767 cam, and a MP header my GLH would spin 1st and 2nd gear, chirp 3rd hard, and chirp 4th! From a roll you could stomp it in 1st and break into a hard spin on dry pavement! The turbo clutch, pressure plate and flywheel helped alot! Dont even think about using N/A parts for that!

· Registered
246 Posts
Are they 2.2 flat-tops in there? I would use a 3.56FD 525, keep you in the torque zone longer, a 32/36 weber will make 200hp and be very streetable, and the IMSA header.

why did Alex put an auto in it anyways?

· Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are they 2.2 flat-tops in there? I would use a 3.56FD 525, keep you in the torque zone longer, a 32/36 weber will make 200hp and be very streetable, and the IMSA header.

why did Alex put an auto in it anyways?
The 525 couldnt handle the engine in it now:nodding: And this is what Ed Peters had handy:p

x2 on the Weber 32/36. Lots of mini truck guys use them!

"why did Alex put an auto in it anyways?"

Didnt want to worry about shifting on the track?
Im not really interested in swapping the electronics, then manifold, then carb setup.. I need this to have EVERY little down time.

· Registered
42 Posts
The mexican exhaust manifold flows almost as good as a header. I've had the Hooker AND the Hedman on the car, they both snapped in less than six months. Got tired of fixing and replacing. The mexican is cast, so it won't flex. It has lasted almost ten years.

I went TBI for efficiancy and cold weather starting. Ported, knife edged, manifold matched etc to get the most out of it. The car was originally carbed, and it was a bitch below 10 to start. I drove it daily, so I had to.

The auto was for autocrossing, just stomp and steer. I seldom lost. (Never?) Everyone always struggled with those Lbody shifters, and lost .5 to 1 second in an autoX. But this auto is built for the grunt.

There is more potential in the car, but it is more than 90 percent of what you can do to a TBI and drive daily. YOu've already got more horse than a stock T1, and you'r doing it on pump gas in a TBI car.

If you want to change the final drive ratio, look for the transfer gears under the cover on the drivers side, and chaneg them to either an Acclaim, or a Lancer.

The dual wbber setup is sweet, but very finicky and pricey. I passed on one some years ago when the Chrysler engineer who had them told me not to. He was looking for just under $1800 ten years a go. TO do this you'd have to experiment with cams, timing and fuel pumps.

Unless you want to spend another 2k or so, the car is what it is. TBI spacer, under drive pulley, maybe a later manifold and injectors off a flexfuel vehicle with a minivan throttle body.

It al depends on what kind of speed you want. Fast and stright, or curvy and scary. To go straight, stomp, hangon, and spend money. To make curves, takes money and skill. You won't find another Mopar in an AutoX that can keep up with you.

As for going stright, Larry will kick all of our butts.

· Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:pI want the best of both worlds LOL. The car handles AMAZINGLY! But I think there is alittle more to get out of the TBI setup, imma add an adjustable cam sprocket, play with some timing degree's, underdrive pulley, and possibly a cam to see what it will let loose.

The 568 was hoping for alittle more fuel sipping help LOL. And I miss having a 5speed:nodding: Still just a thought and one that will take some time to think threw.

The cat im hoping to have replaced with a straight pipe(hoping this weekend), im thinking you was right about it probably being long gone lol.

BTW I agree 110% that Larry's Shadow will take us on and put a hole in the remains of his kill LMAO.

· Registered
4,833 Posts
LOL, coming from the man himself that built the blue bastard, hell, that is kinda catchy. But I was thinking he told me something about the mexican manifold. I know for the spacer, I can remember somebody selling one either on ebay or here for the TBI and somebody was wanting a one for the Turbo, but he didn't make them. But for the other parts go to the local pick and pull.

· Registered
4,833 Posts
Oh, and I agree with the fact that Larry's Shadow would swamp almost anyone around here with the turbo 2.2 dodges. Hell, how could he not beat us when he is driving a 400 hp DOHC hybrid 2.2L with a supra tranny behind it and a bullet proof rear end. In truth, I am jealous. LOL, but a beautiful car, and I am not the biggest fan of the Shadows and Sundances.

· Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:)Craig(24kilo) offered to make me a spacer, I just need to go to the yard and buy a TBI TB(lol) so he can get the measurements. But with the one on there being ported out I think id have to hand him that one so he can match the port on the spacer with the port on the TB... That makes sense right? Or am I just that exhausted?

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.