Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Laser XE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. I will have an '85 Laser XE in my driveway by Thanksgiving, and one of the preventative items I want to take care of is a coolant flush. I stumbled across an article yesterday that mentioned something about Chrysler having addressed the head gasket issues (iron block, aluminum head) with a special coolant. Do these engines require anything beyond Ethylene Glycol? I read through the list of "coolant" threads returned in a search, but didn't see this issue addressed. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nothing special. I've been running normal "green" Prestone in 50/50 mix with distilled water for 20+ years. I think what you may be referencing is this blurb from the FSM (also in owner's manuals if I recall): "Use only a high quality ethylene base antifreeze coolant with silicate inhibitor, such as Mopar P/N 4267020, Prestone II, PEAK, or antifreeze containing Alugard 340-2 inhibitor system."

Might have been worth researching in the 1980s, but not today. I remember wrenching on my boss's 1984 Caddy with the 4100 V-8. The thing had an aluminum block with cast iron heads. When replacing coolant in that car you had to go to the dealership for two horse-pill sized brown aluminum cooling system additive tablets. You'd mash them into a powder and add it to the fresh coolant mix.

Aluminum is ubiquitous in today's cars, and virtually every coolant is engineered with this in mind.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Well hopefully your head gasket has been changed out at some point. I recently changed out an original headgasket on my 50K mile survivor GLHT. The coolant very slowly consumes the headgasket. If the original headgasket is still in the car, you're on borrowed time.
Welcome to the forum and to ownership of your new to you G-body.
Todd

·
Registered
1985 Laser XE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. This is the car: Sean Barber

150,000 miles, no idea if the head gasket's been done. Considering the condition of the car, I would assume yes. If the current selection of ethylene glycol coolants will cover it, I'm good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks, guys. This is the car: Sean Barber

150,000 miles, no idea if the head gasket's been done. Considering the condition of the car, I would assume yes. If the current selection of ethylene glycol coolants will cover it, I'm good.
Recommend you replace coolant every 2 years because it turns acid. Look up Head cooling mod to prevent head gasket failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts