Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive had a few 2.2s 2.5s but i never really modded them. i got an 85 lebaron turbo and i wanna make it faster but still drivable it seems to run pretty good and the tranny is tight but dam its slow off the line. do these really have that much turbo lag? its like a full 15 seconds before the power hits any thought tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
159 Posts
my fairly stock 2.2 T1 has a performance crank pulley, no A/C, no power steering, a FWD stage 2 computer and a boost controller. its mated to a 5 speed and it gets off the line ok. i'm not sure what is considered a "basic" mod in a turbododge though.

p.s. to achieve your life goal get on an airplane, it will be waaaayyy cheaper than making a car go 200 mph :) .

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
15 seconds would be too long. Do you get full boost?

I would check:
-spark advance.
-the boost control system (wastegate, vacuum lines, wastegate solenoid, etc...)
-the exhaust system.

Once you get the car operating correctly, I would start looking at things like high flow intake, ported heads, intercooler, etc...

Ed Kelly - Kelly-Mulhern Performance

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
xsk7 "a FWD stage 2 computer and a boost controller". Was the ECU unable to control boost and that is why you run an Manual Boost Contoller?

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
1) I would like to buy your Wastegate and Purge Solenoid Assy!

2) I would like to by all your orifice's out of you vacuum systems!

....here is what one looks like Dorman Products - 47311

·
Premium Member
9,045 Posts
^threadjack = bad D

and +1 on what Ed said -
make sure your stock system is functioning correctly before trying to mod it ;)

first "mod" on any TD is : open up the exhaust system !

factory pipes are small and poorly bent,
and muffler & cat are restrictive relative to newer 'hi-flow' units (or none at all ;) )

normal muffler shops us a bending machine which produces "crimp" bends;
the bends will be ridged & neck down the ID of the pipe,
both of which hurt flow

our vendors sell "mandrel" bend 2.5" and 3" pre-bent pipe to fit our TDs;
the bends are neither ridged nor necked down = Great flow

price (with shipping) is often close to what a muffler shop will charge;
of course then you have to install it ;)

but AT MINIMUM get a local exhaust shop to bend you a 'cat-back' with 2.5" and ditch the muffler (should cost $100-150);
that will really wake up the engine ..
(probably not legal where you're at to eliminate the cat... if it was, I would,
but then you prolly need to add a muffler for noise control, or replace OE cat with a 'hi-flow' cat)

oh yeah install a boost gauge too :)

·
Administrator
25,148 Posts
Boost is totally dependent on Engine RPM so you have to be sure ALL Engine Basics are correct and functioning properly.
As already stated once the basics have been checked/corrected then improving Air Intake and Exhaust would be the next step.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
15 seconds would be too long. Do you get full boost?

I would check:
-spark advance.
-the boost control system (wastegate, vacuum lines, wastegate solenoid, etc...)
-the exhaust system.

Once you get the car operating correctly, I would start looking at things like high flow intake, ported heads, intercooler, etc...

Ed Kelly - Kelly-Mulhern Performance

well i think its a timing issue/ fuel issue the timing is off. when i tweek the distributor itll pull like crazy but it starts pingin so i turned the distributor back to where it was so i dont blow anything

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i probably should have said this first. i got the car for 50 dollars it has 75k orig miles auto tranny its a 2 door its by far the ugliest thing ive ever owned. so i have spent the last 3 days doing body work on it. i want as much go as i can get for as cheap as possible. and i was thinking the best way to get better power would be to re route the intake system. run a hose from turbo to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body then throttle body to intake so it wouldnt be a suck through anymore. i might have to move the throttle body to make room but it should work right? and i think on the pressure side ill use radiator hose and on the vaccum side maybe pvc piping anyone have objections? and no i dont plan on running alot of boost maybe 14 psi max and i know most radiators run 16psi

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^threadjack = bad D

and +1 on what Ed said -
make sure your stock system is functioning correctly before trying to mod it ;)

first "mod" on any TD is : open up the exhaust system !

factory pipes are small and poorly bent,
and muffler & cat are restrictive relative to newer 'hi-flow' units (or none at all ;) )

normal muffler shops us a bending machine which produces "crimp" bends;
the bends will be ridged & neck down the ID of the pipe,
both of which hurt flow

our vendors sell "mandrel" bend 2.5" and 3" pre-bent pipe to fit our TDs;
the bends are neither ridged nor necked down = Great flow

price (with shipping) is often close to what a muffler shop will charge;
of course then you have to install it ;)

but AT MINIMUM get a local exhaust shop to bend you a 'cat-back' with 2.5" and ditch the muffler (should cost $100-150);
that will really wake up the engine ..
(probably not legal where you're at to eliminate the cat... if it was, I would,
but then you prolly need to add a muffler for noise control, or replace OE cat with a 'hi-flow' cat)

oh yeah install a boost gauge too :)
aha! boost gauge deffinatly. and no i cant remove the cat we have i/m here i really wanna make a sleeper so i was thinking between manifold and cat id run a cut out to a cherry bomb that will come out right behind the front tire because it sounds pretty good already and i still want it to be quiet.but when i need it or when i wanna make some honda quiver in its cheap body kit i can hit the cut out

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1) I would like to buy your Wastegate and Purge Solenoid Assy!

2) I would like to by all your orifice's out of you vacuum systems!

....here is what one looks like Dorman Products - 47311
im srry i cannot do that.... buttttttttttt i know where a few tds are that are being parted out i might be able to get ahold of that stuff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i got some pics up of the car if anyone is interested. its a work in progress but it should be in paint in a few days

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
I'd love to see your ride. My LeBaron cost me $200.00 and I had to have it toed home. Start a build up thread!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well its not going to be anything special. ive put about 2 gallons of bondo on it so far and about $10 in parts. so im probably not going to do a build thread but i will put pics in my album as i tinker with it.

oh and i got the turbo lag to go away somewhat i got a chance to use a timing light on it when it was actually dark outside. and found the timing to be off. its now correct but its still slow less turbo lag tho.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
I would like to see pics as you progress~!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i got it painted and im not veryy happy with it. im never using 97 cent spray paint again. gettin better paint tomorrow will post pics if it turns out better i got alot of sanding ahead of me..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts