Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out of all the 1986 C/S Daytonas built I have shopped around for and found a various amount of options so I'd like to know from other 86 C/S owners here
How many have (factory original).....

Analog guages
Digital guages
Cruise
A/C
Power windows
Power drivers seat
How many have the ultarare full power (driver) enthusists seat ( with the power movement upper and lower wings )
Electronic voice alert ( 10 Function )
Auto or standard transmission
T-tops
Sunroof

I'll start with mine

(According to a friend at Chrysler Corp I have a rare version)

I Have in mine.

Digital Gauge Pkg.
A/C
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Rear Wash Wiper
Rear Defogger
Cruise Control
Tilt Steering
Illuminated entry ( Interior and key holes lighting )
Chrysler Ultimate AM/FM Cassette w/ 5 band grahic EQ
Ultra rare full power enthusist seat ( leather )
Electronic Voice alert
Auto transmission W/ T handle shifter
T-top
AND
Different type of Taillamp lens I noticed then regular Daytonas
86 G24 Z Side view.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Black & Gold
Digital gauges
A/C
Power Windows
Power locks
Power leather w/ pump up lumbar
5 spd
t-top
10 Button Navigator
no cruise
no rear wiper

I have only seen 3 or 4 cars with the power lumbar like the 87 seats. Still don't know how these came to be.

By contrast I scrapped an extrembly rusty black and gold hardtop with no power options just a/c, analog gauges, 5 spd.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
16 way seat was an option for 86 - BUT the seat is stuffed and sticked diff from newer ones

the 2 , 86 & 87-9 are not the same seat

off topic a little , my black leather 86 16 way seat came from a lazer - only one I've seen with it (t top too -red car)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I know it's not the same seat as the 87 but the controls look similar. I have the dealer brochure for the US Daytona, US Laser, and Canadian Daytona & Laser. There is no mention of electric controls for the lumbar and thigh support. All the literature and pictures show the pump bulb as the top of the line seat. I though maybe it was a late model change getting ready for the 87's. But I talked to an owner that the car was in his family since new insisted that his was early production car and had the electric controls. I've been pondering this one for several years.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
ya it's an 86 option
you know what the brochures say , some info may be subject to change

I have has 2 86's with the pump ball too (cloth) and a set of black leather with the ball also

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure mine is a C/S but i think it is. How do i tell for sure?

Black & Gold with Gold crabs
Digital gauges
Power Windows
Power locks
5 spd
10 Button Navigator
cruise
rear wiper

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had 2 1986 C/S's now and this was the first fully powered seat that I had with the C/S line.
I have worked with Chrysler in the past ( and still have friends that work with Chrysler ) During that time when I worked for them I had seen only one that had the full power seat in it.That was back in 1986 it was in the showroom for about a week before it was sold.It was Black on Black with T-tops and with gold pinstripes and wheels with gold C/S fender tags and gold nameplates on the rear hatch.
I knew it wouldn't last long in the showroom,And I was right.

So the big question is how many are left and how many are still on the road?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure mine is a C/S but i think it is. How do i tell for sure?

Digital gauges
Power Windows
Power locks
5 spd
10 Button Navigator
cruise
rear wiper

Look at the last line on your body tag left side Spaced with 5 parts to it
If you have a C/S it should say GVS24

·
Registered
41 Posts
Red on Black C/S
Digital Gauge Pkg.
A/C
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Rear Wash Wiper
Rear Defogger
Cruise Control
Tilt Steering
All Power Leather Seat with Lumbar
Electronic Voice alert
10 Button Navi
5 Speed Manual
T-top
Crab Wheels

Whats a mystery is in my center dash trim where it meets my floor console, next to the ash tray there is almost factory looking square hole cut in the flat blank space. I seen one 84 & 85 online that looked like they had some type of maybe 12VDC power supply there. Or are you guys just putting in mods in there, like gauges?

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
Red on Black C/S
Digital Gauge Pkg.
A/C
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Rear Wash Wiper
Rear Defogger
Cruise Control
Tilt Steering
Electronic Voice alert
10 Button Navi
5 Speed Manual
T-top
Crab Wheels

Whats a mystery is in my center dash trim where it meets my floor console, next to the ash tray there is almost factory looking square hole cut in the flat blank space. I seen one 84 & 85 online that looked like they had some type of maybe 12VDC power supply there. Or are you guys just putting in mods in there, like gauges?
if that trim face plate is orig to the car there would have been a VERY VERY rare black plastic switch for a rear amp option (K cars got a chrome switch - not rare)

the amp should be in the center dash top speaker position I think - it would be a metal box

if the trim piece was swaped into the car that hole would be for the foglamp switch on an '89

that is if it's not somthing someone carved out for whatever

·
Registered
41 Posts
if that trim face plate is orig to the car there would have been a VERY VERY rare black plastic switch for a rear amp option (K cars got a chrome switch - not rare)

the amp should be in the center dash top speaker position I think - it would be a metal box

if the trim piece was swaped into the car that hole would be for the foglamp switch on an '89

that is if it's not somthing someone carved out for whatever

Thanks! Thats alot of help. I don't see no wiring behind it. I bought a center dash piece with no hole to replace it, since that one has cracked bottom mounting holes. The car is all original but someone may have switched that out since there is now an Alpine deck in there with infinity door speakers and something like renaissance? speakers in rear. Has 75,000 supposably original miles, but the Digital dash has been switced I don't think they hold the milage? Didnt see a discrepancy on the carfax, but as far as a daytona its a 9/10.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
86 part book shows both the bulb-type manual lumbar and the electric lumbar seat as options. The 84-86 had a hole for the rear amp switch cut out in it if so equipped.The rear amp switch was used from 1984 to 1988.Fog lamp switch from 1989-90 was in that bezel also.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red on Black C/S
Digital Gauge Pkg.
A/C
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Rear Wash Wiper
Rear Defogger
Cruise Control
Tilt Steering
Electronic Voice alert
10 Button Navi
5 Speed Manual
T-top
Crab Wheels

The rectanglular hole that you have in the radio panel bezel was used in two model years only,
In 1984 the hole was used to house a rear amp switch ( Amp was located where center AM radio speaker hole in center part of dash ) These were a optional equipment add on, They were some what popular with the Daytona line most often found in the Turbo Z's And fairly popular with the Laser car line mostly on the XE models.

In 1989 the hole was found in the Daytonas that had the ground effects package and it was used for the fog lamp switch, Found on every ES,ES Turbo and Shelby models.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far the most common option found in the C/S was the Digital dash gauge pkg w/navigator, yet I have seen a few with analog gauges and navigator,
Very few I have seen came equipped with the full digital dash pkg- Gauges,Navigator and digital full readout message center < replacing the turbo guage and message center combo. There also seems to be alot of automatic transmissions in them as well.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! Thats alot of help. I don't see no wiring behind it. I bought a center dash piece with no hole to replace it, since that one has cracked bottom mounting holes. The car is all original but someone may have switched that out since there is now an Alpine deck in there with infinity door speakers and something like renaissance? speakers in rear. Has 75,000 supposably original miles, but the Digital dash has been switced I don't think they hold the milage? Didnt see a discrepancy on the carfax, but as far as a daytona its a 9/10.
In answer to your question, "Has 75,000 supposably original miles, but the Digital dash has been switced I don't think they hold the milage? Didnt see a discrepancy on the carfax"

If the dash unit has been changed by the dealer one of two options were done.
The mileage chip was swapped from old unit to new replacement unit and the mileage would be the same.

The replacement unit was programed to the correct mileage and installed.

( you would see a sticker somewhere on the drivers side, where the hinges are either on the car or door areas of location, Sometimes found in the dash where the gauges are )

If you see this symbol ( * ) where your mileage is displayed on the dash your gauges were changed, The symbol is used to notify the the guage package is not original and the same for the mileage being not original.

The chips are not interchangable with other models dash units, Example, You cannot take a chip from a Chrysler New Yorker and put it in the Daytona/Laser's type of display unit.
The only chips that work in that unit must come from the same style of unit any year from 1984 to 1986 from a Laser or Daytona.

The chips never lose the mileage that is put on them there is no way to reverse or erase the mileage from it. And replacement chips or dash units themselves are not available through dealerships parts department or repair shops.

So if you find one at a wrecker or online and it's working grab it when you can
otherwise you may have to swap the unit for a newer one and rewire the connectors into the wiring to make it work.

( I myself have stocked up on the electronic parts that are hard to find )

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have an 86 Daytona C/S with the following options (from the original window sticker) sold new in Califorina in 1986.

Silver crab wheels
Exterior color is Hyper silver
Digital Gauge
12 button navigator
Power windows
Power locks
A/C
Rear defroster
Cruise control
Tilt steering
Chrysler Ultimate AM/FM Cassette w/ 5 band grahic EQ (Radio since removed, but I have it, and it has been replaced by Chrysler Infinity 2 stereo from late 80's model car)
Black leather interior
Full power enthusist seat for driver
Automatic transmission
T-Tops

For the tail light it looks the same as other 86 C/S pictures I have seen, as well as the dealership folders on them, as I have an original dealership folder that showed all the options and styles for 1986. Mine has Daytona under one rear light and Turbo Z on under the other light.

According to the car fax my digital dash was replaced twice by chrysler in the early 90's and the mileage was corrected each time. I currently have 9X,XXX miles on mine.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
86 part book shows both the bulb-type manual lumbar and the electric lumbar seat as options.
Thanks for clearing up this for me guys. I wonder why they didn't premote it though? I want a set of electric lumbar seats, in black leather, in near perfect condition. Yeah, I know. Good luck ... hen's teeth. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So far the most common option found in the C/S was the Digital dash gauge pkg w/navigator, yet I have seen a few with analog gauges and navigator,
Very few I have seen came equipped with the full digital dash pkg- Gauges,Navigator and digital full readout message center < replacing the turbo guage and message center combo. There also seems to be alot of automatic transmissions in them as well.
I have had about 6-7 86 TurboZ's over the years with the C/S package. My current one is the only one that had the digital dash and none had the digital readout center instead of the boost gauge. I can remember the options on a few of the older ones.

Analog gauges
Power Windows
Power locks
Power tan leather w/ pump up lumbar
5 spd
10 Button Navigator
cruise
A/C
rear wiper

Analog gauges
Power Windows
Power locks
t-tops
Cloth w/ pump up lumbar
5 spd
A/C
rear wiper

White with silver crabs
Analog gauges
Power Windows
Power locks
Black leather w/ pump up lumbar
5 spd
A/C
rear wiper

Analog gauges
Manual Windows
Manual locks
Cloth w/ pump up lumbar
5 spd
A/C
rear wiper

I had a couple red ones too and a black one with an automatic but don't remember the options. The car I listed at the start of the thread and the white one were US cars and the rest were Canadian cars.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts