Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 86 Le Baron Mark Cross Special Convertable is torn down to rebuild the 2.2L Turbo motor. After talking with Cindy at FWD I now have a polished-ported exhaust manifold, a stage II computer, new larger 803 injectors and the stronger TII rods. There will be all new internal engine parts including TRW pistons. The motor will be balanced and the valves polished and 'Powerz Grooved'.

Other modifications will be:
- FWD motor mounts
- 180 thermostat
- 2.5" max flow mandrel bent exhaust, converter, muffler
- Turbonetics 2.5" Swingvalve
- Aircraft fitting turbo oil line

I really don't want to go through the TI - TII w/intercooler conversion process. :eek: Are there any other modifications that should/can be done without installation of an intercooler?? How about adding a Turbonetics Wastegate actuator? What is the max I can do without intercooling?? :party2:

Any comments or reccomendations will be very much appreciated because we are putting this 2.2 back together right now!

I'm not trying to build a radical street racer, just a fast fun daily driver.

Thanks for all the information contributed to this great TurboDodge forum!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been finding and reading everything that I can about the TI - TII intercool modification, and of course you are right ... Two considerations are that this Le Baron Convertable is a Mark Cross Special [they only made 500] and is in nice origonal condition - and I'm reluctant to change it too much from stock. Also the intercooling conversion is not something that I want to do on my own... Any idea +/- what it might cost to have the intercooling conversion done professionally?

Again, I'm not really trying to make this car a wicked street machine and don't really want to be installing and monitoring boost, fuel/air, exhaust temp. guages, etc.

What, if any is the "middle ground" here? I would probably be happy just to keep the TI turbo [or maybe upgrade the turbo if possible] with these other mods if I could eliminate or at least do whatever can be done to decrease the turbo lag... What I really want is a reliable fun sleeper of a daily driver - and to get this great car back on the road!

Then again for all this work and expense, intercooling would make all these other modifications really pay off in performance, the boost could be set up to maybe 20 lbs and make for one fun sleeper of a quick Convertable !! And after all, the license plate on this car is FUNATIC. ;)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts