Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my Omni 86 GLH turbo into the 12's but keep it a daily driver at the same time. I nee any and all suggestions on how i can get my baby there. Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well, the simple formula would be get an intercooler, add boost around 20 lbs (+ supporting mods:) ie injectors and proper elcetronics,map sensor, computer) big slicks (around 23.5 x 8 x15) , 3 inch exhaust all the way from the turbo, and hope your 525 holds up. That should still be easily streetable. Marcusglhs has done 12s in his glhs with very minimal mods.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Well, marcus86glhs did it with 3" swingvalve and 3 inch exhaust. hybrid 555/525 trans from cliff, two piece intake, stock intercooler, a really good cal from TU, and slicks.

I would recomend for an omni DD get a super 60 turbo, Full 3" exhaust, big intercooler, ported manifolds, +40 injectors, a custom 3 bar cal, and maybe even some headwork. It will be more efficient with some good porting meaning you can run less boost to make it too your goal.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I am trying to get my Omni 86 GLH turbo into the 12's but keep it a daily driver at the same time. I nee any and all suggestions on how i can get my baby there. Thanks
Most ET comes from the car, MPH comes from the engine for the most part. Get a ported head from Tyler with a FWD F2 cam and PT lifters. Then a T2 turbo and a 2 piece intake. Convert the car to T2 with FWDs wire overlay. Then go to the 87 computer and a MSD 3 bar map. Run +40s and a FWD stage 5. Add a good Ebay intercooler. Nothing that tough. Consider when the head is pulling the pistons and rods (marking them) and take them to the machine shop. Have them press on 85 and older rods and buy new rod bearings. Engine done.

get a 523 and a OBX posi, then a Neon short shifter. Spec stage 3 clutch.

slicks on 15" 7" wide wheels. Run all poly suspension and engine mounts. Run a good alignment, 1-1.5 negitive camber and 0 toe. Add FWDs LRE front autocross front springs. Get new struts and shocks. If you can afford it buy the konis and coil overs. Raked off and stiff with posi. FWDs need this to hook. Should run 12s with poor driving, a little weight removed and turn up the boost and should get into the 11s. There is a guy running around here with a T1 log 12 second L body, I've known of a couple lol. Fools normally just build power for the ET and it doesn't work. Power is nothing without control, don't build a 25 PSI engine and run 15s like I've seen :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot for all the info and upgrades but im kinda new to this and trying to learn as much as possible and i dont know all the acronyms yet so if you guys could put this into lamence terms for me that would be great Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
DJ i like your goal, 12's in a daily driver omni, thats great. not sure how much $$ you got to spend, here's a prooven, short list of work and parts, you will need all of this together, this is a list of "minimum equipment", in my experience:

1. a used 86/87GLHS radiator and intercooler combo, this bolts right into any omni. you will need the associated GLHS airbox and intercooler hoses as well, keep your eyes open we see these items come up for sale often here and ebay. your stock turbo should be fine for 12's in an omni.

2. a new, or used, Turbos Unleashed 3" swingvalve assembly, along with the large wastegate actuator (can).

3. a full 3" exhaust system, including the 3" downpipe, 3" catback, and 3" high flow muffler, all this hardware you can get from FWD Perf or TU.

4. calibration (logic module). you should contact one of the mentioned vendors and discuss with them your goals, and have them create a calibration for your car, dont skip over this important part of your build-up. you are going to need about 220 hp to the tires for 12's in a stock-weight omni, thats going to require around 17-20 psi of boost.

5. higher flow injectors, +20's or +40's, along with a high flow fuel pump to replace your stock in-tank unit, you can get these from TU and/or FWD Perf.

6. sticky tires, slicks or drag radial, you can run the stock size that fits on your regular GLH wheels no need to get larger wheels for 12's.

7. a boost gauge and an air/fuel gauge (wideband is best, but a cheezo narrow band unit is better than nothing).

thats the start right there. you may find other issues crop up once that boost is cranked up, like weak head gasket, weak rings, weak vacuum lines, you wont know until you try. dont worry, theres lots of 12 second omnis out there we all had to go thru some nuisance stuff while tweaking.

lastly is the trany. A525's are so weak for this level of power, you may get a couple passes at say 220 hp but your car is eventually going to require either a trany swap to a better A-555 or similar heavy duty unit, or, you can have your A-525 beefed up to handle 300 hp, either way is fine for 12's....of course a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate wil be needed as well (again same vendors have great parts for you).

got pix of your omni? good luck.

·
Registered
898 Posts
^id say marcus has come up with a good combo for you, follow those guidelines and you should see 12's, and like he said, tranny, they are weak, i built up my motor, didnt even bother with the 525, took it to the junkyard, got like 10 bucks. went with a413 automatic.

yeah id like to see some pics of your car as well.

i just recently installed a TU S70 turbo (.63 ex housing) 3in SV, and full 3in exhaust.

WOW!!!! compare that to a T2 turbo (.48) 2.25 SV, and 2.25 exhaust.

needless to say, my car is louder (sounds like a V8!!!) and it pulls harder @18psi vs. 23psi on the stock turbo.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
my econo 12 second setup was in some ways cheaper, but I can port well. I ported my head and intake and the exhaust manifold. Then I ran a TBI cam and a 89 T2 Garret. 3" DP with no cat and a storty side exhaust exhaust. 555 trans with a T2/T3 clutch. MP stage 2 cal with +20 injectors. 28 MPG around town and G valved to high 12s at 17 PSI. Everything ported and larger plus 3" exhaust ment detonation for me at 4 PSI with stock injectors. Added the +20s and it ran perfect. If you can do the work, a $60 engine can do the job lol. 12 seconds though in an L body is easy and cheap. 11s? well my wallet is bleeding and may not make it lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im really trying to do the work but im new to the car world and im trying to learn as much as possible to make this car run first of all then run fast! Being new at this stuff i have no idea how to "port" anything or what it even is...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
you might want to set a slightly easier goal maybe? 12's in a street legal omni is "easy" only if you have good help, or good knowledge and skills. one thing you will not need is a suitcase of cash.

your 1st purchase should be the 3-volume set of 1986 Dodge Service Manuals for your car, check ebay or FWD Performance cost like $40-$80. you will need these manuals for certain. and check back w/ us folks for our 2-cents worth of advise.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i have the manuals in the mail so hopefully soon enough i'll understand what you guys are talking about and how to do it all myself. but please any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Wow a new person and nobody has mentioned the dodgegarage??? Well here is a site that will help you get aquainted with your car. Donovan's Dodge Garage
Read the site and you have a better understanding of what we are talking about as well as some of the acronyms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts