Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 'newbee' to your site and am looking for some help. I am the lucky owner of an '86 GLHS #86. Some of you may have remembered seeing her on Ebay a couple of years ago. She is an original survivor with 7500 miles. Still smells new inside. She has developed a no start condition that at first was very intermittent but has become very frequent. Today is one of those days. I replaced the starter relay but that obviously was not the problem. When I turn the ignition switch the fuel pump primes and I can hear the starter relay click. That is it. The battery has a full charge. The only codes given are a 12 and 55. Any advise on where to begin? Thanks

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Welcome aboard! :thumb:

Sounds like a loose cable/connector, wether the ground or at the starter power feed.
Starter can be tested at a local autozone for free too.
do you have a website with pics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I don't have any pics. Shortly after purchasing the car we sold our home in Fl. and moved back to Il. and bought a fixer upper. Needless to say the Omni hasn't received much attention this year. Could it possibly be the starter selenoid? Is there an easy way to differentiate between the selenoid or a bad ground? Thanks:fingersx:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
the 86S cars were notorious for bad starter positive cable connections right at the starter, the threaded stud at the starter can come loose, causing intermitent probs and then leading to total failure to make a connection. your low mileage car likely has the original starter in it, crawl under the car and inspect the positive cable at the starter for loosness.

i replaced the original starter in my 86S a few years ago for this exact reason, went with a new Mopar unit ($75.00).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marcus-Thanks for your input. I hope to be able to check it out tomorrow. How hard of a job is it to get to the starter? I can answer about any question regarding the 3.3engine but have little time working on the 2.2 I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
getting to the starter isnt too bad, its located behind the head and under the exhaust manifold, you'll need to jack the car up crawl on your back and reach up into that area to inspect the connections.

i am not sure what has to be removed to do a replacement, when i replaced mine it was done at same time as a new head gasket so the head/exhaust manifold/intake manifold assembly was off the car, that makes it super-easy to swap out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
+1 on the starter, have it checked out. Maybe the starter has a flat spot on it. Tap the starter with a hammer and see if she starts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...Today I had some time and attempted to start the Omni. Had the same response. Fuel pump primed and the relay clicked, that was it. I decided to remove the battery and air intake assembly to check the array of electrical connections near the battery. Hoping to find something glaringly wrong, I couldn't. Everything was dry and all connections appeared ok. This car is truly as new as a 21 year old car can be with 7500 miles. The factory ink markings are still present. That is why I am so fustrated. I believe this is why the original owner decided to sell it. Well, I put everything back together and reinstalled the battery. Guess what, IT STARTED:bang head I tried to follow the electrical connections to the starter, but that is nearly impossible. The starter is buried under the intake and turbo assembly. I called our local Dodge dealer and he told me he can no longer order a OEM starter, try Napa. Would the general concensus be a faulty starter or faulty wiring somewhere in the harness? Any other advise?.? Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
wierd, but good.

hard to diagnose. since all your did was remove and re-install the battery perhaps it was just light corrosion on one or both of the battery terminals?

if you do ever disconnect any of the wiring bundles (multi-prong connectors), apply a dab of Permatex electrical grease (get it anywhere) on each pin. it promotes conductivity while reducing corrosion. i went thru my entire underhood wiring and did this since time marches on and i didnt want any future electrical issues.

can you post a pix of your battery area?

·
Registered
823 Posts
It could just be a flaky starter relay. I had one in my 85 glht - drove me nuts! It's a cheap, easy place to start (well after you make sure you check the positive starter wire like Mark pointed out - just crawl under the car with a bright light and you should be able to see the starter wire - don't try tracing it from the top - you'll never see anything from up there).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts