Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my car on the road this year but keep running into problems. My latest problem is gas in the oil and a poor running car. It seems to run fine cold but as soon as it warms up it will run poorly at idle and most like stall out. I do not know much of the history on the car as it was brought to Canada over a decade ago and wasn't running when I got it . I do know that the injectors are +20. The compression was tested last year and was good and the comp cam in it was replaced with the same model due to wear. I don't want to wash out my bearings so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Need much more info. Any CEL and or fault codes? Did problem surface after installing replacement camshaft? Modifications to cylinder head, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, turbo, calibration, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, etc.? For example, you can't just install 20% larger injectors without having a proper calibration. Well you can, but the engine will drown in fuel (like yours is doing). Most people end up running fuel pressure around 36-42 PSI (static) instead of stock 55 PSI if using stock or MP logic module with those injectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 20% injectors were already installed so I don't know what else has been done. I'm going to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and hopefully it might help. I believe the poor running also happened before the cam install. I just put the same model cam back in it. I still have the original injectors as they came with the car. Should I install the original injectors?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Any fault codes? Do you know how to check for them? Since they started putting ethanol in our fuels, on occasion injectors that were working fine when removed, sometimes develop external leaks when put back into use. This can be observed and typically smelled. This was very rare in the distant past, but is getting much more prevalent the last 10 years or so.
Putting the original injectors back in may very well help the overly rich condition, but so will lowering the fuel pressure with an adjustable pressure regulator. 32-34 PSI (static) will equal the flow rate of your original injectors. If you put them in, just visually check to make sure they're not leaking externally. Don't want your 86 "S" to burn up!
Do you have access to a vacuum gauge? If so what are the readings in HG at idle?
There are many conditions that could cause an over rich and poor running engine. Best to check for codes first, and get back to basics.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I believe the fault code is 23 by reading the flashes. Would this be the temperature sensor?
No, code 23 is the charge temp sensor. Code 22 is the coolant temp sensor. That measures the intake manifold charge temp. That is sort of a minor sensor, but can cause some smaller driveability issues. This may not completely fix your driveability issue. If it was the coolant temp sensor that was at fault (code 22), that is a much more critical sensor.
The Charge temp sensor is located on the back side of the intake manifold, It is a plastic sensor. Should be easy to identify and change out. See attachment.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Gas Automotive design

1 - 8 of 8 Posts