Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 86 newyorker and the dome lights will not turn off unless I take out the fuse . I've checked the headlight switch, the door switches but all seem to be ok ,is there something else that I could be over looking that could be the problem ?

·
Administrator
24,337 Posts
If you are 100% positive that all doors are closed and that the dimmer is turned down on the headlamp switch your next step is to remove the door jamb switches one at a time and unplug them to see if the light goes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are 100% positive that all doors are closed and that the dimmer is turned down on the headlamp switch your next step is to remove the door jamb switches one at a time and unplug them to see if the light goes out.
I tried that this morning ,but still no luck with it . It has really got me baffled as to what it could be

·
Administrator
24,337 Posts
Is this vehicle equipped with Illuminated Entry?
If so your issue could be in one of the front doors with the Key Cylinder, Wiring or Illumination Switch.
It also uses an Illuminated Entry Relay and a Time Delay Relay, you will need to locate the Illuminated Entry Relay to check power/ground at the relay, not sure where it is located.

I can send you the wiring if you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the key locks and stuff there doesn't appear to be any illumination ring or light except for a light on the column by the ignition, I found a relay in side that said t delay so I pulled it out to see if they'd go off but they did not . Is it possible that the headlight switch could be stuck to wear it still makes contact even if its turned all the way down?

·
Administrator
24,337 Posts
Assuming the car is not equipped with Illuminated Entry...
Yes, it is possible for the dimmer (Rheostat) to be shorted in the headlamp switch keeping the Dome/Courtesy Lamps on.
The YL (Yellow) Wire is the output to the Dome/Courtesy lights from the headlamp switch.
The wiring is showing two YL wires, one is for the dimmer for the Cluster/HVAC/Overhead Console Illumination, the other is for the Dome/Courtesy Lamps.
Remove the headlamp switch and with the switch still plugged in check for power on the YL wire(s).
The YL wire for the dimmer will have power all the time but the voltage will lower as the dimmer is turned down.
The YL wire for the Dome/Courtesy Lamps should only have power with the Dimmer turned all the way up.
Be sure there is not an issue with the connector, no physical damage/melted wires, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Assuming the car is not equipped with Illuminated Entry...
Yes, it is possible for the dimmer (Rheostat) to be shorted in the headlamp switch keeping the Dome/Courtesy Lamps on.
The YL (Yellow) Wire is the output to the Dome/Courtesy lights from the headlamp switch.
The wiring is showing two YL wires, one is for the dimmer for the Cluster/HVAC/Overhead Console Illumination, the other is for the Dome/Courtesy Lamps.
Remove the headlamp switch and with the switch still plugged in check for power on the YL wire(s).
The YL wire for the dimmer will have power all the time but the voltage will lower as the dimmer is turned down.
The YL wire for the Dome/Courtesy Lamps should only have power with the Dimmer turned all the way up.
Be sure there is not an issue with the connector, no physical damage/melted wires, etc.
That was it , got it changed out last night when I got home and so far so good dome lights come on and go off like they should. Thanks so much for all the help !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts