Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Me and my dad are working on an 86 Plymouth Horizon and we are modifying it to look like a GLH.

He was working on it when he hit a roadblock, he installed K-car steering knuckles from an 89 Dodge Aries but they are too wide and stick out too far even though they fit OK. He and I went to a junkyard in Iowa to get original L-body steering knuckles but they were too thin for my ride to be a GLH.

My dad is looking for pre-1986 K-car front suspension knuckles for both the left and right front wheels. What he specifically needs are older knuckles that can hold heavy duty hubs and wheel bearings from a bigger car (K-body more specifically) but with the newer 5 bolt hubs. Does anybody have these available in their garage or know where to get them?

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Hello,
I contacted a member who should be able to help you.

You may also want to check the Chrysler Parts Catalogs to see what parts fit what vehicles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not use Turbo L body knuckles? Or are you using non L body front shocks?
My car has a GLH 5 bolt pattern style and consequently it has heavy duty hubs, the original steering knuckles are not strong enough to work with the heavy dutys and because of that we need K-car steering knuckles pre-1986 because they are strong enough to support the heavy duty hubs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
I contacted a member who should be able to help you.

You may also want to check the Chrysler Parts Catalogs to see what parts fit what vehicles.
Hey it's good to hear from you. Thanks for your help, I look forward to hearing from him. How's life man?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 'k-car' knuckles will have the wrong size gap for the L-body strut,
so some mods need to be made to use them.
Thanks dude! I'll pass that along to my dad.

I worked on my car with my dad and we got one of the knuckles off, he found the problem while he was working on it. Hopefully we won't hit anymore roadblocks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is another semi-solution:
5-bolt 'light duty' hubs would press into the base L knuckle, from e.g. an '85-6 base lancer or lebaron gts
Thanks again bro!!! I'll pass that along.

What do you mean on your second comment? Are you asking me if I know how to use EEK struts with the L-strut mount? I don't understand your second comment.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
there is another semi-solution:
5-bolt 'light duty' hubs would press into the base L knuckle, from e.g. an '85-6 base lancer or lebaron gts
That is what I think was done. No reason why anyone would think turbo L-body knuckles wouldn't be strong enough. IIRC, they are pretty much the same casting, just machined different. The turbo L-body knuckles used a minivan wheel bearing. Learned that WAY back in about 1986 when I first lost a wheel bearing in my 85 GLHT.
Only reason people change them out to 89 G/H/J Kelsey Hayes knuckles or Spirit R/T knuckles is to go to 11" rotors with 60mm calipers. Even then you have to machine them for strut fitment, and deal with the mismatch of strut mounting holes that the larger cars used. Also need to modify them to get enough negative camber.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is what I think was done. No reason why anyone would think turbo L-body knuckles wouldn't be strong enough. IIRC, they are pretty much the same casting, just machined different. The turbo L-body knuckles used a minivan wheel bearing. Learned that WAY back in about 1986 when I first lost a wheel bearing in my 85 GLHT.
Only reason people change them out to 89 G/H/J Kelsey Hayes knuckles or Spirit R/T knuckles is to go to 11" rotors with 60mm calipers. Even then you have to machine them for strut fitment, and deal with the mismatch of strut mounting holes that the larger cars used. Also need to modify them to get enough negative camber.
Don't suppose you got any K-body knuckles laying around somewhere?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Don't suppose you got any K-body knuckles laying around somewhere?
No sorry. Have nothing but L-bodies now in TD's. Keep your eyes peeled for someone parting out a Shelby Charger or GLH would be my suggestion. Then buy new good quality wheel bearings for them. Make sure you install the dust shields so bearings don't get contaminated. Then your done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No sorry. Have nothing but L-bodies now in TD's. Keep your eyes peeled for someone parting out a Shelby Charger or GLH would be my suggestion. Then buy new good quality wheel bearings for them. Make sure you install the dust shields so bearings don't get contaminated. Then your done.
I was wrong, the steering knuckles are what's up with my car not the bearings. The knuckles my car has right now are from an 89 Dodge Aries but they are too wide and stretch too far even though they fit OK, my dad wants steering knuckles from a K-body pre-1986. My car has the heavy duty hubs setup but the original L-body knuckles aren't strong enough to work with the heavy duty hubs and as a result, he needs older K-body hubs because they fit OK and are strong enough.

I could also try steering knuckles from a 2nd gen Dodge neon, my dad says those would work with an L-body. My car is basically using parts from other vehicles in order to make it a fake hot rod.

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
I think I have a set of those K-knuckles.. ..
you'll haveta either run EEK struts and mod the top to fit yur L
(una aka unaclocker had a 'how-to' on his website but I can't find it; it may exist as a thread here on TD or over on TM.com .. ? you'll haveta search for it)
or mod the knuckle to match the L strut

PM me if yur interested..,
I'll dig em up and get the casting/part numbers so we can verify what I have

1 - 15 of 15 Posts