Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my dad are working on my 86 Plymouth and I am so looking forward to seeing it restored as a fake GLH. Been waiting 3 years for this but almost there.

During Christmas break he and I managed to get one of the steering hubs off, he installed steering hubs from an 89 Dodge Aries but turns out that they were too big and when spring break comes, he and I are gonna install factory hubs he bought from a junkyard in Iowa. My car now has a fuel injected 2.5 engine from the 89 Aries and she gets way better fuel economy (25/33ish).

Some mods he and I are gonna do are:

Neon SXT rims (7 spokes)

Shelby GLHS silver stripe

Repaint of paint code PR6 (dark metallic garnet red)

LED red panel lights

GLH side skirts

BOSCH headlights on lower front bumper

Gloss black trim

This is my ride as is right now:

I got a photo of what she'll look like after restoration, if anybody wants to see it give me a shout and I''ll post it.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool. I look forward to seeing more on the build as it comes together! Keep on it.
Thanks dude! Really appreciate it! The photos at the bottom are to give an idea of what the real thing will be like, wait until you see the real thing completely redone it'll be 50 times better.

I won't make any more headway until spring break when I get a break in the semester, during winter break my dad and I managed to get one of the steering hubs off and hopefully it'll get done during spring break. You see the rims it's got on right now?, those are too big for it (especially the rear tires) and we are gonna stick the 7 spoke SXT rims on cause they're skinnier and look better.

I'm not gonna reveal everything right now but I will say that the painting will get done over summer when it's finally hot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did see your renderings in another poste and i am impressed with how well done they are. How did you put them together? Do you have some sort of graphic arts background or something? You are certainly bringing something new to the TD community with the renderings. More than likely, our best attempt would have been using an old school Tirerack.com rim swap image LOL.

Some of you know what im talking about out there ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see your renderings in another poste and i am impressed with how well done they are. How did you put them together? Do you have some sort of graphic arts background or something? You are certainly bringing something new to the TD community with the renderings. More than likely, our best attempt would have been using an old school Tirerack.com rim swap image LOL.

The photo you saw of the tricked out Omni is from a website called 3Dtuning.com. They didn't have all the mods I wanted so I had to improvise and get as close as I could to the real thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The photo you saw is not what my car is really gonna look like that's just a rough idea of what it'll look like. My car is pretty much gonna be like that only that the rims will be the 7 spoke neon SXT rims and the silver stripe from the Shelby GLHS. Don't pay any attention to the white moldings in the photo, the website apparently had a minor glitch.

I don't have a graphic arts background, I did this for the fun of it. I wanna give my first car some attitude and make her stand out from the crowd. Think of this as the red and silver stripe paint scheme from the GLHS charger only on a Horizon, that repainted dark red metallic, silver stripe and black trim are really gonna make it pop I promise you that.

As soon as my car is completely restored, I'll make a new post about that but it'll be several months before it finally gets done because of the cold weather.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ah! Now i follow you. You are talking the Shelby Charger graphics from '83-'87. I had an '87 black and silver SC as my first car.

The GLHS's were limited run cars from Shelby. They were all black, no graphics for the most part and very limited production. In 1986 he bought 500 Omni's to modify with a pseudo T2 setup. And in 1987 he bought 1000 of the Shelby Chargers for the same ~T2 setup. They werent as muscular as the real T2 cars because of the puny transmissions, but they were light and rare!

~Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah! Now i follow you. You are talking the Shelby Charger graphics from '83-'87. I had an '87 black and silver SC as my first car.

The GLHS's were limited run cars from Shelby. They were all black, no graphics for the most part and very limited production. In 1986 he bought 500 Omni's to modify with a pseudo T2 setup. And in 1987 he bought 1000 of the Shelby Chargers for the same ~T2 setup. They werent as muscular as the real T2 cars because of the puny transmissions, but they were light and rare!

~Mark
Yeah man. Seriously you had an 87 SC? That's so cool dude! How old were you when you had it and do you still have it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heads up, there is an update on my car.

The L-body steering knuckles on my car that me and my dad got in from the junkyard in Iowa are not right for making a GLH because they are too thin. The K-car bearings that my dad slapped on are right but too wide, it goes in OK but sticks out too far. My dad is looking for K-car bearings from 1985 or older, for now what we have will work until he can find 85 or older K-car bearings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fascinating. What is too thin about the knuckles. I know that L-body knuckle have a thinner upper stem where the strut bolts to. I had no idea about the bearings. I thought that all knuckles outside of L-bodies and mini vans were the same, but i again could be wrong lol.

Not able to source L-body bearings? I was just looking at PartsGeeks and they had Timken available.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fascinating. What is too thin about the knuckles. I know that L-body knuckle have a thinner upper stem where the strut bolts to. I had no idea about the bearings. I thought that all knuckles outside of L-bodies and mini vans were the same, but i again could be wrong lol.

Not able to source L-body bearings? I was just looking at PartsGeeks and they had Timken available.

I was wrong, the bearings are fine. The steering knuckles are what's up, my dad wants steering knuckles from a K-body pre-1986. My car has heavy duty hubs GLH style (5 bolt pattern) thus the L-body knuckles are not strong enough for heavy duty brakes.

My car currently has 89 Aries knuckles but they are too wide and stretch too far even though they fit OK.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see. Keep me posted, i am interested in some beefier knuckles as well if you find a good fit. My car came with the minivan brakes up front with braided lines so some more beef would be welcome. let me know if you need any pics of that setup.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see. Keep me posted, i am interested in some beefier knuckles as well if you find a good fit. My car came with the minivan brakes up front with braided lines so some more beef would be welcome. let me know if you need any pics of that setup.
OK thanks! I sure will keep you updated of any new developments.

He wanted to make my car better than it was originally and he sure did, the part that I so can't wait to do is the painting. It's what my dad trained me to do when I worked on his 84 Aries. I think that the painting will be the frost on this cake.

Let me know how that GLHT goes, looking forward to seeing her done! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually yes I am interested in those pics of the brake setup in your GLHT, maybe I can get some ideas that I can pass on to my dad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts