Turbo Dodge Forums banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
Ok.
But to this point we still have not been able to locate the "official" code 43 diagnostics in any 85 - 87 FSM?

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Jan, I checked my 87 FSM it contained a small amount of testing for the carb engines.
I believe we need the 87 Powertrain diagnostics that contains the troubleshooting documents you are looking for. They rarely appear on ebay as I was interested in obtaining one in the past. I am switching my car to SBEC so I decided not to buy.
search 1987-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-2-2-LITER-TURBO-II-POWERTRAIN-DIAGNOSTIC-SERVICE-MANUAL.
I see one for sale.

I do have an 88 SMEC manual but it requires a DRB-II. Let me know if this could help

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,450 Posts
I also have the 1988 TII manual and the 1991 TIII ones.

Ok, back from up the road picking up wife's birthday cake.

Further testing. PM, ignition power applied, but no ASD trigger, 9.4 megohms to ground. ASD triggered by grounding K19 dark blue/yellow wire, 14.4 VDC at Z1 dark green/black. Measure voltage from there to coil - K15 open, 14.4 VDC across from Z1 to J5, ground K15, voltage goes to 0. This indicates to me that the LM grounding K15 will act the same as opening a set of points, ie, fire the coil. J5 shows a ground at all times with power removed from the PM, the only time it isn't grounded is when K15 is grounded. My next move would be to unplug the LM and with the ignition on and ASD triggered by grounding K19. then see if there is 5 V (I was measuring 3.5 with my Fluke 75 meter) then ground K15 at the LM connector and see if it opens J5. If it does then ground/unground of K15 should produce a nice fat spark from the coil to ground (I have an HEI test plug I use as it has a 1/4" spark gap). If this works, then that portion of the PM can be assumed functional.

This would likely indicate a bad LM. If he wants to pay shipping and a reasonable deposit, I will send the LM and PM I have to him for testing, assuming he doesn't have a TII (LM is from a 1986 Laser TI automatic PN 5227337 with MAP sensor 5227324, PM is 5227766.

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
The only book I was able to locate online was a 1987 Diagnostic Test Procedures which apparently covers No Start Conditions and Fault Code Diagnostics.
Unfortunately my phone will not allow me to paste the link...
eBay search 1987 Chrysler Diagnostic Test Procedures and scroll down to 87 2.2 L Turbo and and Turbo II.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,450 Posts
midnightmopar, did you ever get the wiring portion of your 1986 FSM? The circuit numbers should be in there, but let me be sure they are the correct ones, I was using the source chromguy linked in post #119 as that was one you could look at. What I did was take a known good PM and test it with no power of any kind to it for resistance to ground on the black/yellow wire (Circuit J5), under these conditions it showed essentially an open circuit. I then tested it as it would be installed in a car with the battery connected and key off. Again essentially an open circuit to ground again. I then powered it as if it was in a car, key on, but not running and again I had essentially an open circuit from the coil to ground. When I simulated running condition by grounding the ASD relay control circuit (K19), I then had a solid ground on J5, and battery voltage (I am using a nice regulated DC power supply) on Z1 (dark green/black) which is the coil, injector and fuel pump power source. I then grounded K15 (yellow) to simulate the LM calling for spark, immediately I had an open circuit on J5, which would fire the coil.

My suggestion was to disconnect your LM and turn the key on, jumper the K19 to ground turning on the ASD relay. Under these conditions the coil will be on and connected to ground. Take the yellow wire at pin 6 of the red plug and ground it, the coil should now be ungrounded if the PM is good, if you place the coil wire where you can see it and ground and unground the yellow K15 wire, each time you ground it you should get a nice spark, if not try a different coil. If the PM will not either ground the coil when powered with the ASD relay or will not fire the coil by ungrounding it then your PM is probably shot.

Link to TI Logic Module: http://minimopar.net/ecu/lm-1986-t1.html
Link to TII logic Module: http://minimopar.net/ecu/lm-1986-t2.html

The SC could possibly be a T2, the power modules are the same for all 1985-87 turbos.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,450 Posts
Here are some pictures of the PM and test wiring, hope these help, I didn't put the circuit numbers, just the functions.
DSCN3767a.jpg DSCN3768a.jpg DSCN3770a.jpg

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Oh Midnight...as a reminder. It has been reported that the connectors at the LM are prone to poor connection problems. Many have reported good results using DeOxit5 to clean and remove crap. I have a can in the workshop..

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
Does any of this info relate to what you’re looking for?
Those flow chart pics appear to be for a carburated car with a SCC, not an injected vehicle with an LM/PM.

That book was short Money NAJ I bought it. How about the pictures I posted, would any of that help!
You bought the Chrysler Diagnostic Procedures Manual for 87 Turbo and Turbo II?

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
Let me know when it arrives, checking the coil control circuit should be listed under "no start" (NS) diagnostics but since I have never seen this book I cannot be 100% sure.

The 1990 Powertrain Diagnostics Manual starts with Test NS1 which is "Testing For Spark and Power Feed To Coil".
We already performed that test and at the end when it asks if power was present at the + coil cranking and you answer Yes it says to proceed to Test NS7 which is "Checking For A Defective Coil Or Coil Circuitry" which would be Code 43 diagnostics.
I can only assume the 87 Diagnostic Tests Procedure Manual will be laid out the same as the 90 Powertrain Diagnostics Manual.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,450 Posts
You also have the tests and results for a known good PM which should help in diagnosing the problem. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Thanks 85Lebaron I appreciate all the help, I’m going to have to study your diagrams but it’s nice to have that info. I have a few PM and LM but I have no idea if they are good. I did switch a PM out in the beginning but didn’t get any different result. So I switched it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
What I do t understand is in my 1986 service manual those pages above are from that, why does it not have the same diagnostic information for a fuel injected car?

121 - 140 of 146 Posts