Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Shelby charger sitting in the garage I plan to start working on soon. My mother bought it brand new in 86 and passed it down to me . All original parts as far as I know. She stopped driving it in the early 2000s and it's been sitting ever since. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but definitely not a mechanic. I could use some tips and information on what steps I should take first. The car has been sitting a long time and my mother was having issues with the fuel system when she stopped driving it. Also of any of you know a place where I can get the parts specific for this vehicle that would be really helpful. I plan to pull it out this weekend and I will know more then . Thank you!

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

If the car has been sitting and has not been run in all of this time the first thing you will need to do is get fresh fuel in there, the old fuel is probably stale.
You will also need to be sure the battery is good and fully charged and change the oil/filter.

After completing the above if the car will not start or starts and runs poorly you will have to determine what the issues are, I will walk you through step by step if you are willing to attempt the diagnostics.
Depending on what problems you encounter most common parts are available in the aftermarket.

We are here for you if/when you need us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Im going to get a brand new battery tomorrow and change the oil. Should I go as far as dropping the gas tank and emptying the old gas out before I attempt to start it up? I'll post more updates tomorrow once I have her out . I appreciate your help !

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
There is a siphon port at the tank on the fuel pump hanger( where the lines attach at the tank) or you can remove the fuel inlet line (either underneath or at the fuel rail), place the hose in an approved fuel container and manually actuated the ASD Relay which will power the fuel pump and empty the tank.
Not sure about 86 but the L Body cars (Omni/ Charger) used two separate fuel pumps, an intank pump and an external pump.
I can give you more detailed info on Monday when I return home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a siphon port at the tank on the fuel pump hanger( where the lines attach at the tank) or you can remove the fuel inlet line (either underneath or at the fuel rail), place the hose in an approved fuel container and manually actuated the ASD Relay which will power the fuel pump and empty the tank.
Not sure about 86 but the L Body cars (Omni/ Charger) used two separate fuel pumps, an intank pump and an external pump.
I can give you more detailed info on Monday when I return home.
Where exactly is the asd relay located

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
On your vehicle the ASD Relay is integral to the power module.
To manually actuate the ASD Relay you need to locate the under hood diagnostic connector which IIRC is located by the right side(passenger)strut tower on your vehicle.
Once you locate the connector you need to use a jumper wire to ground the DB/YL (dark blue/yellow) wire in the connector, then turn the key to the "on" position.
You will/should hear the fuel pump running.
When done turn the key off and remove your jumper wire.
I can post pics/illustrations on Monday when I get home which will make it clearer.
If you have any other questions/concerns Please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very helpful I'm attaching a few pictures . The liquid in the plastic bottle is a sample of the gas that came out of the tank. I didn't even attempt to start it once I saw the color. I didn't drop the tank yet but I'm thinking that may be next. I haven't cleaned up yet but I attached a couple extra pictures anyway.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
Most folks install one good pump in the tank and eliminate the external pump.
You can get a Walbro 190 from FWD Performance.

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
The difference is 65 PPH of fuel flow.
I have a 255 in my car and it is overkill but has been extremely reliable for well over 10 years with no issues.(Stock - 12 lbs of boost)
Both the 190 and 255 are going to flow much more fuel than a stock pump.
Are you planning on increasing boost in the future?
Be sure all of your rubber fuel lines are in Good shape and if you replace them be sure to use Fuel Injection Hose and Fuel Injection Hose Clamps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The difference is 65 PPH of fuel flow.
I have a 255 in my car and it is overkill but has been extremely reliable for well over 10 years with no issues.(Stock - 12 lbs of boost)
Both the 190 and 255 are going to flow much more fuel than a stock pump.
Are you planning on increasing boost in the future?
Be sure all of your rubber fuel lines are in Good shape and if you replace them be sure to use Fuel Injection Hose and Fuel Injection Hose Clamps.
I dont plan on increasing boost but that doesn't mean I won't decide to in the future. I will replace all the rubber hoses as I go through and check them. I attached a picture it looks like there are some missing hoses there or maybe it's an emissions thing maybe you have a better idea

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
That is the Quad Solenoid for Purge/EGR/Wastegate/Baro.
You are going to have to run/route all new vacuum lines.

86 Turbo Vacuum.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I'll see if I can figure it out.. My stepfather used to drive this car alot and told me there were never any hoses hooked up to that solenoid, that it was just for emissions but I wasn't sure if he knew what he was talking about

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
Two of the solenoids are for emissions, the Purge and EGR solenoids.
EGR lowers NOx emissions by lowering combustion chamber temps.
If the EGR if not connected/working properly you can possibly experience Detonation issues which under boost can blow holes in pistons.
The other two solenoids are the Wastegate which controls boost and the Baro which allows the controller to update barometric pressure info while driving for proper fuel/spark advance and boost control.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I pulled the gas tank off, and it's bad. I attached pictures of the inside of the tank and the sending assembly. I ordered a tank and also a walbro 255. Now I need the assembly? Which one would be a best fit for the tank/walbro pump? And will I also need to replace the main fuel lines coming from the pump? They aren't clogged or anything I hooked the air compressor up to them and it went right through.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,435 Posts
I am not sure on which hanger to use so I reached out to another member who knows much more about L-Body cars than I do.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Ok so I pulled the gas tank off, and it's bad. I attached pictures of the inside of the tank and the sending assembly. I ordered a tank and also a walbro 255. Now I need the assembly? Which one would be a best fit for the tank/walbro pump? And will I also need to replace the main fuel lines coming from the pump? They aren't clogged or anything I hooked the air compressor up to them and it went right through.
Well your obviously not going to re-use either assembly. This goes to show you the importance of storing your car with the fuel tank full not near empty. That is rust from condensation over a long period of time. Could also have been from contaminated fuel I guess.
Since you bought a Walbro, we can only hope you bought from a trusted source and not from whoever had the cheapest one available. Lots of Chinese knockoffs of these pumps. That is why I like the Deatschwerks pumps. They're quieter than the Walbro pumps and ethanol compatible.
It is very unlikely you will find a new turbo L-body single pump internal assembly directly from Chrysler at this point, although I did see one on Ebay a year or two ago. Next best solution is an assembly from a 88-90 TBI Omni. This is basically the same hanger assembly as the single pump L-body, but with a slightly physically smaller and weaker fuel pump installed for the TBI (not MPFI) Omni's. You will then take out the EFI pump, do some small modifications to make it fit, and reinstall your larger MPFI Walbro pump. If you do some searching on this forum, it has been covered many times. Attached below is a couple photos of a Deatschwerks pump being installed. It is very similar to the Walbro.
The second photo is one of the Chrysler single pump assemblies that is no longer available. Notice the tank filter failed and the inlet of the pump has a piece of rubber that the pump tried to ingest! This was a friends autocross GLH. Fortunately he put the car on a trailer rather than lose an engine.
The lines and fuel sender on the outside of the hanger are the same. Some assemblies have a third capped plug that is used for mechanics to siphon the fuel out of the tank when servicing. Strangely both Chrysler and the aftermarket made them with and without this siphon. I've never yet once used this siphon line, and I've been wrenching on these cars since new. Make sure you install new rubber MPFI rubber lines and new filter. Also some new tanks don't come with ring used to install new assembly with. Make sure you replace that too along with new rubber seal.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts