Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It should be. It was sitting for a long time but it only has around 60,000 original miles on it. It has been run since 2004 . My parent bought it brand new in 86. I am in Arizona the car was stored about 50% of the time in the garage and the other half outside. I cleaned up the engine bay a bit and it doesn't appear to have any rust anywhere else it was just inside the gas tank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well your obviously not going to re-use either assembly. This goes to show you the importance of storing your car with the fuel tank full not near empty. That is rust from condensation over a long period of time. Could also have been from contaminated fuel I guess.
Since you bought a Walbro, we can only hope you bought from a trusted source and not from whoever had the cheapest one available. Lots of Chinese knockoffs of these pumps. That is why I like the Deatschwerks pumps. They're quieter than the Walbro pumps and ethanol compatible.
It is very unlikely you will find a new turbo L-body single pump internal assembly directly from Chrysler at this point, although I did see one on Ebay a year or two ago. Next best solution is an assembly from a 88-90 TBI Omni. This is basically the same hanger assembly as the single pump L-body, but with a slightly physically smaller and weaker fuel pump installed for the TBI (not MPFI) Omni's. You will then take out the EFI pump, do some small modifications to make it fit, and reinstall your larger MPFI Walbro pump. If you do some searching on this forum, it has been covered many times. Attached below is a couple photos of a Deatschwerks pump being installed. It is very similar to the Walbro.
The second photo is one of the Chrysler single pump assemblies that is no longer available. Notice the tank filter failed and the inlet of the pump has a piece of rubber that the pump tried to ingest! This was a friends autocross GLH. Fortunately he put the car on a trailer rather than lose an engine.
The lines and fuel sender on the outside of the hanger are the same. Some assemblies have a third capped plug that is used for mechanics to siphon the fuel out of the tank when servicing. Strangely both Chrysler and the aftermarket made them with and without this siphon. I've never yet once used this siphon line, and I've been wrenching on these cars since new. Make sure you install new rubber MPFI rubber lines and new filter. Also some new tanks don't come with ring used to install new assembly with. Make sure you replace that too along with new rubber seal.
I appreciate the help I ended up having one ordered at a local auto parts store I should have it in a couple of days. I ordered the pump straight from the walbro website. I will have it all together this weekend ,hopefully. I will keep all of your advice in mind as I am working on it, as this forum seems the be the most trusted source of information I can find, so glad you guys are here!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts