Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and one from an 87 shelby z is the same bar as in the turbo z cs

-so the cs bar really isn't hard to find if you want to upgrade the base turbo z bar
Glad you posted this before I ordered my sway bar bushings. I have a donor 88 CS in back yard. Would that still be an 1 1/4 ?

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might even install rear axle and go four wheel disk. But that's at a latter date and for the thread Im going to start freshening the new to me 86.

·
Super Moderator
11,642 Posts
86 cs , 87/8 shelby z & cs and 89 daytona shelby and 89 cs should all have the 1 1/4 bar in em

87 shelby only has the hardest rear trailing axle bushings

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some of the 1 1/4 sway bars neck down to 1 1/8 in the area were the bushing is. This was to keep the sway bar from moving side to side.

The car's that got the the 1 1/4 sway bar also got a bigger rear bar also. By just putting on a bigger front sway bar will make the car understeer more.

·
Legendary Driver
10,887 Posts
All of the 86-90 1 1/4" sway bars neck down at the ends.

87 and 88 ShelbyZ and possibly CS solid rear axles got the solid HARD rubber bushings. If they're solid and round then they should be the hard ones. Do not burn these out to replace with poly bushings. You'll be sorry.

89TonaVA if you go 4 wheel disc find a 89-90 Shelby or Lebaron GTC to grab the setup and Kmember and arms from. The 87-88 stuff sucks.

·
Premium Member
7,665 Posts
Older thread...

But I have both an 86 CS and 87 Shelby Z off the car and they seem to be identical. The middle of the bar measures 1.25" so the two round center sway bar bushings that go under the sub-frame straps should have a 1.25" inner diameter, the end of the sway bar is reduced to 1" so the rectangular bushings that go on the end of the sway bar and are inserted into the lower control arm are a 1" inner diameter rectangular bushing. It's a good idea to clean the bar to shiney metal before the installation and then apply a silicone grease to the inner diameter of the bushing during installation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts