Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got glhs 116 runnin after 20 years of sitting. It runs pretty decent at that. The issue I'm having is while sitting at idle the power loss light flickers. If the radiator fan kicks on it stays constant till the fan cycles off. With the lights on or the hvac blower on it will also stay on constantly. With lights and the hvac blower on high the voltage drops to 12.5 or so. The voltage hangs out there and will not recover. The voltage at the field terminals under load is 10 volts. At Wot it will also throw the power loss light then go away once you let off. Had the alternator tested at an auto parts store and they say it's good for what it's worth. The battery is new. I don't have much information on the car as the po died. I'm thinking the stock alternator just isn't cutting the mustard anymore but would like to know if I should check anything else. Rather not throw parts at it. Thanks brandon

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Got glhs 116 runnin after 20 years of sitting. It runs pretty decent at that. The issue I'm having is while sitting at idle the power loss light flickers. If the radiator fan kicks on it stays constant till the fan cycles off. With the lights on or the hvac blower on it will also stay on constantly. With lights and the hvac blower on high the voltage drops to 12.5 or so. The voltage hangs out there and will not recover. The voltage at the field terminals under load is 10 volts. At Wot it will also throw the power loss light then go away once you let off. Had the alternator tested at an auto parts store and they say it's good for what it's worth. The battery is new. I don't have much information on the car as the po died. I'm thinking the stock alternator just isn't cutting the mustard anymore but would like to know if I should check anything else. Rather not throw parts at it. Thanks brandon
You might want to check all the ground connections at the block, the negative batt. terminal and also the connections at the power loss light itself.
You can buy a brush kit for the alternator and replace them.
They wear out over time and cause low voltage.
The stock Alt. is only 78 amps and is the minimum.

Try this:
With the car running, turn on the A/C.
If the engine dies suddenly, you have a ground problem.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to check all the ground connections at the block, the negative batt. terminal and also the connections at the power loss light itself.
You can buy a brush kit for the alternator and replace them.
They wear out over time and cause low voltage.
The stock Alt. is only 78 amps and is the minimum.

Try this:
With the car running, turn on the A/C.
If the engine dies suddenly, you have a ground problem.
Ac compressor was removed so that isn't an option unfortunately

·
Administrator
24,883 Posts
At 12.5 volts there is obviously a charging system issue, the question however would be...
Are the charging system issue and the power loss lamp flickering/illuminating related and if so which is creating the issue.

1)As already stated check all grounds including the main controller ground at the fuel rail and the - battery cable to block.
ELECTRICAL- Main Controller Ground 84-89.jpg

2)Verify ALL fuses have power in and power out, a blown fuse may cause a condition of stray voltage where the currents normal path to ground is impeded so it looks for an alternate path, if it finds one components/lights that should not be on will be.

3)Will the system allow you to retrieve fault codes and if so are there any stored in memory?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 12.5 volts there is obviously a charging system issue, the question however would be...
Are the charging system issue and the power loss lamp flickering/illuminating related and if so which is creating the issue.

1)As already stated check all grounds including the main controller ground at the fuel rail and the - battery cable to block.
View attachment 272666

2)Verify ALL fuses have power in and power out, a blown fuse may cause a condition of stray voltage where the currents normal path to ground is impeded so it looks for an alternate path, if it finds one components/lights that should not be on will be.

3)Will the system allow you to retrieve fault codes and if so are there any stored in memory?
System has not thrown a code. Had a dead battery for 20 years and not sure if I just need to drive it more or not. It says 55 and that’s it. As far as the power loss light and the alternator issue bein related that’s just an assumption at this point. When Accesories are turned on the light is steady with them off it flickers at idle and goes away with some throttle till wot where it will come on again. I will dig into the grounds and such. And check all fuses.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing to update yet but plan on getting in the garage this weekend. Did order a nipedenso alternator to do an upgrade and an 89 turbo mini wiring harness to make work with it as well. Ill report back when i get a chance to get into the garage hopefully this weekend

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Nothing to update yet but plan on getting in the garage this weekend. Did order a nipedenso alternator to do an upgrade and an 89 turbo mini wiring harness to make work with it as well. Ill report back when i get a chance to get into the garage hopefully this weekend
I did the same with '87 GLHS 0956.
I had the harness, and bracket changed and added the 90 amp 'Denso alternator.
Never a fluctuation or drain on the system again,
and the headlights were a lot brighter.

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
21 Posts
What does the power lose light look like? I am just curious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts