Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy people,

I have an 87 daytona shelby Z with a crap interior but decently intact exterior.

I am looking at an 86 shelby Z with a good interior but the exterior front and back are in poor shape.

My question is this: can I take my 87 style front bumper (with popup lights and everything) and put it on the 86 body relative ease? What about the rear lights and bumper? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
May want to verify your years/models there
Shelby Z was only offered in 87-88, so the 86 isn't a Shelby Z or isn't an 86...

if it's 87 and 88 - they LOOK the same. I think the computer changed in 88 and am not sure about the light hookups.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May want to verify your years/models there
Shelby Z was only offered in 87-88, so the 86 isn't a Shelby Z or isn't an 86...

if it's 87 and 88 - they LOOK the same. I think the computer changed in 88 and am not sure about the light hookups.
Thanks for the reply!

Here are some photos of the vehicle I am looking at, I am fairly certain it is one of the older body 84-86 types, so it is not a Shelby Z.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
"...with a good interior but the exterior front and back are in poor shape..."
heh, I wish my front and back were in that good of shape!! If it's mainly the airdam in the front, I think you might get by with using some clips to attach it (saw someone else on here do that). I always liked the 1st gen look. I'd repair it if it were mine, but that's just my 2cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3rd photo shows the rear spoiler brake lamp,used only in 1986. It was the 1st year of the CHMSL.
Nice, at least its only a year away from mine. I did a little poking around on the body forums and it appears there are differences in the tail light/front bumper hookups. Does anyone know how significant they are?

I suppose I could always buy this body and use the better interior only, but I would really like the T-tops and to save myself the time of swapping everything to begin with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"...with a good interior but the exterior front and back are in poor shape..."
heh, I wish my front and back were in that good of shape!! If it's mainly the airdam in the front, I think you might get by with using some clips to attach it (saw someone else on here do that). I always liked the 1st gen look. I'd repair it if it were mine, but that's just my 2cents.
That is definitely an option as well, and if you guys think refub is easier than swapping I may just do that. I'm not particularly interested in messing about with the popups, and my front end needs new paint anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, but two simple questions. Was there any type of third brake light or CHMSL offered on the post 86' Daytona? Can that center section to 86' spoiler be used with an 87'-88' to get the third brake light?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
As far as I can tell, the hood is longer on the 86, and the entire rear end including the rear quarter panels around the tail lights is different. it would be way more work than its worth to swap the front and rear ends over. The interior between the two should swap over no problem. If the 86 interior is nice, swap that to your 87. Personally I would repair the 86, but I prefer the 84-86 over the 87+

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you guys are on the money here. I will just drop my engine and tranny into the 86 and call it good, less hassle all around and no smell of rats to deal with. Thank you all for the responses and opinions, and I will post a few pics when I get it going.

·
Registered
259 Posts

See, rear bumper cover not so bad. I have 3-4 rips to weld up.

Keep us updated and good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It is possible to update the front of a 1st gen to a 2nd gen fairly easily. The fenders should match up. The side molding will not match. The hood is different, but as far as I know the hood latch is in the same place up until '89. The wiring will be different. You will either have to swap to '87-'89 wiring or graft in the headlight motor controller and wiring as well as sort out the headlight wiring (going from a 4 bulb to a 2 bulb system...not really that hard).

As has been said, the rear is not interchangeable at all. It would require a ton of work....just not really worth it.

The CHMSL started in '86 and was on the rear wing. From '87 on it was integrated into the rear taillights.

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
The front will swap, but wont look right.

You will need to swap both fenders, hood, and front clip. The side mouldings are different as well so they will not look right. The rear end will not swap whatsoever without body work. The rear quarter panels are shaped differently so you would need to do bodywork to make the rear tailights work. Also, the 84-86 wrap around spiler is different, it slopes back instead of a wide flat spoiler top.

The interior should all swap no problem except for the front seat. The workaround is to take the front seat brackets from either car and swap them.

Ask if the 86 is a C/S. Not many T-Top 86 cars were "standard" turbo z's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts