Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the group and you may have all ready covered this problem but I've not found the answer to this problem as yet.

Here goes - I have no tail, dash or parking lights. Fuses are good and all light bulbs are good because all outside lights work with the 4-ways and turn signals. I got the lights working by fiddling with the original headlight switch in the parking light position, but when pulled switch to headlight, they go off. Now I can't even get the lights to come on even after fiddling.

I changed switch 3 times with units from junk yard and 1 new aftermarket from AutoZone. Lights still don't work.
I read somewhere that there are a few relays up under the dash that could cause the problem, but I can't find any on this car. I did find what I think is a headlight module ( it clicks when head lights go on and off ) but I don't know if this is linked to the lights that will not work.

Any help sure would be appreciated, I'm about out of ideas any there is much else to take apart in the dash.

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
The BK/YL wire is the main feed out of the headlamp switch for the lights, be sure that there is actually power at that terminal( backprobe with the switch connected), the terminal may be broken/damaged in the connector.
If it is good at the switch test at the park lamps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NAJ,
I got to check out the BK/YL wire in the plug of the headlight switch. There is no power coming out of the BK/YL wire pole of the switch. There is power going into the switch and when I jumper the hot pole to the BK/YL wire and bypass the switch and p[lug, the lights work. Now I don't know what this means? As I said before, I've had 3 used switches and 1 new after market form AutoZone, none work. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get some info from my local Dodge dealer, if he is still in business. I think it stinks that Chrysler in closing all the small dealers.

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
I work at a dealership so Dealer connect will not help, it only goes back to 96 for service info so hopefully they have an old manual laying around, that is why I am using Alldata for your vehicle, all of our old books are stored away, long lost, thrown out or......etc.
I can send you the wiring for the headlamp switch from Alldata if you need it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NAJ
Thanks for the wiring info. I'll try and decifer with what I have. Went to Dodge dealer today, didn't have a new switch but thinks it the switch is bad and advised me to take switch back to AZ and ask for a new one. He is aware of new switches being bad. I'll keep you posted.
Dan D.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not doing to good???????? I got a replacement NAPA headlight switch today, tried it and it doesn't work either. I'm looking at the electrical wiring circuit you sent and can't see were the problem could be. I actually have a manual from my 84 Turbo Z and it looks the same. But I'm still at a loss, guess I'll try to forget about it for awhile.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
its not hard get a test light pop the switch out to where you can see the plug use the little diagram in the corner of the page NAJ posted. B2 is power in for the parking lights. It should have power on it all the time and in any position the headlight switch is in. Now check terminal R it should have power when ever the parking lights should be on.
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chargerR/T
I have previously tested the switch and get different results then should be getting. Here's the story - terminals B1 & P are HOT with swich off - w/switch in Park light position B1 & P are HOT nothing on the R terminal - Pull switch to Headlight position & B1 & H are HOT no other terminals are HOT
If I take power from B1 and jumper to R the parking lights will come on along w/ tail and dash lights just the way then should. The dimmer on the dash lights even works. So Im just thinking about running a fused/switched line between the B1 wire and R wire. Don't know what slse to do.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
chargerR/T
I have previously tested the switch and get different results then should be getting. Here's the story - terminals B1 & P are HOT with swich off - w/switch in Park light position B1 & P are HOT nothing on the R terminal - Pull switch to Headlight position & B1 & H are HOT no other terminals are HOT
If I take power from B1 and jumper to R the parking lights will come on along w/ tail and dash lights just the way then should. The dimmer on the dash lights even works. So Im just thinking about running a fused/switched line between the B1 wire and R wire. Don't know what slse to do.
If your pulling the switch out and R does not get hot its a switch. Take the new one or ones back and get another. I just replaced a 2 month old switch in my brother in-laws dakota.
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the switch with a new one, and no lights. So, that's 3 used and 3 new and a new plug, no lights. I pulled the head light module and noticed that the blk/yellow wire for the park lights is connected to this module. So, I went to the yard and got another module and nothing happened, so drove the car out in the yard and let it idle for about 20 mins, to charge the battery and shout it off. When I started it up and brought it back in my shop, I tried the head lights and noticed that I had dash lights. Looked at the parking and tail lights, they also work. Switch on and off several times, tried the 4 ways and turn signals. Everything works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope this was the real problem.
ValleBoy

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I doubt the module was the problem but yes by the diagrams that wire does go to it. but it shows it should be hot only when the headlights are on. It should have no power on it while just the parking lights are on and when all the lights are off. It also has one more wire going to the module a (hard to read diagram) but looks like a LG. That one gets power when all the lights are off and when just the parking lights are on.

Which switch of all the ones you have is working?
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The last NAPA switch is the one that is currently installed. I really didn't do any more testing at the switch or module once i got lights. I'll do some tomorrow.
Dan d.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I'm glad one started to work for you. Hope it stays that way.
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You were right, the module was not the problem, no component that I replaced caused the problem. It is the fuse block!!!!!!!!!!!! I put everything back together tonight, and after I was all done, the lights didn't work. In retracing my steps, I realized that I moved the fuse block. So, I fiddled with the fuse block again and the lights worked. Moving block makes lights go on and off. So, I'll try to isolate the problem and repair. Problem is there is little room behind there that I guess I'll have to work with a mirror.
Thanks for your help!
Dan D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts