Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this 87 GLHS and needed some help with part numbers.
She used to be drag raced back in the day and has some sweet date 2 parts on it like a new computer, throttle body, performance intake, etc.
The turbo spun a bearing and I was curious what the part number for the turbo is?
Also might possibly need a head gasket if anyone has had experience with that.

I would love to go through the parts myself but I had to stash the car in a secret garage so my parents don’t find out about it lol.
Any advice is welcome thank you.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Welcome !!

It's unlikely the Turbo spun a bearing as they are a floating design.

We're here to help as we love Turbo L-bodys, some even like the other styles.

Post up some Engine and assorted parts pics. when you can.

Might as well see what you've got in order to begin the diagnosis.

We've all had head gasket experience and vary on procedure.

Thanks
Randy

Reactions: Brozak

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome !!

It's unlikely the Turbo spun a bearing as they are a floating design.

We're here to help as we love Turbo L-bodys, some even like the other styles.

Post up some Engine and assorted parts pics. when you can.

Might as well see what you've got in order to begin the diagnosis.

We've all had head gasket experience and vary on procedure.

Thanks
Randy
Only reason for that thought is that the former owner claimed it would dump oil out of the turbo, once I get the time to tear it apart I will include pictures. Thank you for the help!

·
Legendary Driver
11,015 Posts
Get it cleaned up first. Then check the oil lines to the turbo. There are rubber sections that might need to be replaced.

If change the oil, coolant, replace the timing belt and while that's off and the new oil and coolant is in I'd soon the intermediate shaft with a drill to pump oil through everything, get the timing belt on and everything timed right then turn it over with the spark plugs removed till you see oil pressure on the gauge. Then put the plugs back in and see if she'll fire up. Also might want to check the fuel hoses and make sure they have the right clamps on them.

Looks fun. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow, great find. These FWD cars are fun. But, getting difficult to find parts for. WANTED 4295477 Clutch release lever. Do you happen to have one in your parts bin. Mine cracked, car down. Ken. 860-836-8606. Anyone? I need some help here…

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Welcome!
Hey, is that a Transitowne Dodge dealer sticker?

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Only reason for that thought is that the former owner claimed it would dump oil out of the turbo, once I get the time to tear it apart I will include pictures. Thank you for the help!
I believe that the stock turbo had a bearing on one side only, so it is possible there's a leak there.
One of the turbo problems was that original owners weren't changing the oil and filter within the specified time/mileage,
Not letting the engine idle for a cool down period after spirited driving caused a lot of turbo failures also.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Which plaque # is it?
Yours should be one of 4 shipped to Transitowne Dodge on 10/28/86
#321 through 324

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I believe that the stock turbo had a bearing on one side only, so it is possible there's a leak there....
Journal bearing turbos have two journal bearings and one thrust bearing (see attachment). These are the basic rebuild parts for journal bearing turbos. This is dynamic style compressor seal, and OP turbo had 4 piece carbon seal. Otherwise parts are identical except this kit has upgrades. The large 0-ring isn't used in TBO3 turbos. Upgrades pictured on this kit are 360 thrust bearing and staggered turbine seal.
OP, turbo type is Garrett TBO3XX. Last two digits doesn't matter for kit. Should be either TBO371 or TBO378

Corded phone Telephone Font Circle Rim

·
Super Moderator
12,198 Posts
3 things I would recomend

buy and install a brand new fan relay
take a good close look at the condition of your radiator
and third
unless the little corner of head gasket at the corner above the alternator is brand new..or brown (o-e)

change the head gasket

ESPECIALLY if it has a chrysler pentastar on it

they usually rotted around the coolant passage by 4-5 years old and when overheated , even slightly ,they can blow out

it's better to do it before you have to do it and possible mess up the engine when it didn't need to happen

I have a 87 shelby charger..last year I tried to change the t-stat
I broke a bolt in the housing
I figure
it's the car telling me to change the gasket "cause it's been soaking in coolant for 6-7 years I personally know of .....and a lot more

it's also a good idea to keep a screwdriver with a heavy handle handy in the glovebox

it's usefull for bumping the fan relay when they get old n sticky & fail to turn the fan on

this is why they all needed head gaskets as they became "used cars" cheap crappy factory gaskets
no worries though we have some better options, now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which plaque # is it?
Yours should be one of 4 shipped to Transitowne Dodge on 10/28/86
#321 through 324
It is #839, was sold at transitowne dodge though, because I have all the original paperwork from the dealership, ie: bill of sale, odometer disclosure, as well as the complete history of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
It is #839, was sold at transitowne dodge though, because I have all the original paperwork from the dealership, ie: bill of sale, odometer disclosure, as well as the complete history of the car.
My invoice sheet documents the first group of cars that were invoiced.
So Transitowne Dodge must have ordered more cars from the 2nd. group of 500 cars.
Shelby Automobiles could only fit 500 cars at a time in their lot.
Dealers ordered different amounts of cars, and Transitowne Doge initially ordered (4) 1987 GLHS cars, and they must have ordered more later on.
It's great that you have all that documentation for #0839.
I was lucky that my brother bought #0325 new and kept all documentation.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
My invoice sheet documents the first group of cars that were invoiced.
So Transitowne Dodge must have ordered more cars from the 2nd. group of 500 cars.
Shelby Automobiles could only fit 500 cars at a time in their lot.
Dealers ordered different amounts of cars, and Transitowne Doge initially ordered (4) 1987 GLHS cars, and they must have ordered more later on.
It's great that you have all that documentation for #0839.
I was lucky that my brother bought #0325 new and kept all documentation.
Trail Dodge, in suburb of MPLS, MN did this multiple times. They actually bought cars from other dealerships that were having trouble moving their allotment. Did this with both 4 dr. and 2 dr. GLHS On the 4 doors, instead of sending an auto transport, they drove out to SD in a van with a full load of drivers and drove the cars home! So several of the "new" 86 GLHS' had several hundred miles on them before they were sold as new cars. I ended up with one of these cars. I always thought that was a pretty lame thing to do. Anything to save a buck I guess...
Trail ended up buying the last available new 86 GLHS out of El Paso, TX. The Trail Dodge owner sold all of his cars and regretted not keeping one of them. I walked into the dealership and I knew the owner well. I handed him an Autoweek magazine. In the back of the magazine, dealerships would advertise special interest cars. The El Paso dealership advertised the 86 GLHS. The owner called the dealership while I was still in his office and bought the car. Owner thanked me repeatedly for informing him about the car, but he was pissed that he had to pay MSRP and not dealer cost! The El Paso dealer was playing hard ball with the owner of Trail Dodge (lol). As most of you know EVERY dealer had a minimum of a couple thousand dollar ADM (additional dealer markup). I told the owner, at least you didn't have to pay that! I said now you got a small taste of what everyone that bought a #'ed Shelby from you went through.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Trail Dodge, in suburb of MPLS, MN did this multiple times. They actually bought cars from other dealerships that were having trouble moving their allotment. Did this with both 4 dr. and 2 dr. GLHS On the 4 doors, instead of sending an auto transport, they drove out to SD in a van with a full load of drivers and drove the cars home! So several of the "new" 86 GLHS' had several hundred miles on them before they were sold as new cars. I ended up with one of these cars. I always thought that was a pretty lame thing to do. Anything to save a buck I guess...
Trail ended up buying the last available new 86 GLHS out of El Paso, TX. The Trail Dodge owner sold all of his cars and regretted not keeping one of them. I walked into the dealership and I knew the owner well. I handed him an Autoweek magazine. In the back of the magazine, dealerships would advertise special interest cars. The El Paso dealership advertised the 86 GLHS. The owner called the dealership while I was still in his office and bought the car. Owner thanked me repeatedly for informing him about the car, but he was pissed that he had to pay MSRP and not dealer cost! The El Paso dealer was playing hard ball with the owner of Trail Dodge (lol). As most of you know EVERY dealer had a minimum of a couple thousand dollar ADM (additional dealer markup). I told the owner, at least you didn't have to pay that! I said now you got a small taste of what everyone that bought a #'ed Shelby from you went through.
That's a very good point.
I heard that too.
I know that Fitzgerald Dodge and Silver City Dodge ordered (8) '87 GLHS cars in the first run of 500.
And when my brother bought his new in 1986, he had to pay $1000 over MSRP.
Six months later, they still had at least one in stock and they were selling it for $1000 under MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
12,198 Posts
in retrospect,those few hundred miles might not be a bad thing as I'd have to presume every "glhs" has likely had it's head ripped off and stuck back on .. so a few miles to make sure it's right..not so bad ,really

though the "one time reuse" :eek:n the head bolts might be ..over

...1000 sets of 10 head bolts (spendy) vs buy a dozen sets..in case we need 'em...

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
3 things I would recomend

buy and install a brand new fan relay
take a good close look at the condition of your radiator
and third
unless the little corner of head gasket at the corner above the alternator is brand new..or brown (o-e)

change the head gasket

ESPECIALLY if it has a chrysler pentastar on it

they usually rotted around the coolant passage by 4-5 years old and when overheated , even slightly ,they can blow out

it's better to do it before you have to do it and possible mess up the engine when it didn't need to happen

I have a 87 shelby charger..last year I tried to change the t-stat
I broke a bolt in the housing
I figure
it's the car telling me to change the gasket "cause it's been soaking in coolant for 6-7 years I personally know of .....and a lot more

it's also a good idea to keep a screwdriver with a heavy handle handy in the glovebox

it's usefull for bumping the fan relay when they get old n sticky & fail to turn the fan on

this is why they all needed head gaskets as they became "used cars" cheap crappy factory gaskets
no worries though we have some better options, now
Regarding the fan relay:
If you can't find a new one, you can repair them if they stick.
Prying off the case you will usually find corrosion on the spring metal contacts.
Caig or other brands of contact cleaner and a non-abrasive pad will work to clean them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts