Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have bought a glhs for a project! it sat for almost 10 years is what I was told I started it it ran so I replaced all gaskets from head gasket up. No it runs but runs rough it has a full take of 91 octane gas with sum sea foam. While its running I put a timing light on it and t
he timming marks jumps around I am stumped any help would be great

Also it is borred .30 over , stage 5 ecu from fwd performance,ported head, Idk if that makes a difference or not

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look at that. Also sum more info if it helps any but it idels a lil rough but when u drive it it runs good.untill u floor it it will studder then just snap out of it and boost really hard!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would start with the timing and make sure everything is in alignment.
Then check or replace the plugs.
After that take it out for a drive and see if the problem is cured.

Law

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
and dont forget ignition wires,cap and rotor. the basics being off will create havoc at all different times boost/cruising etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have done the timing like 10 times it still runs the same way and has brand new plugs, wires ,cap ,rotor, oil all that! I was told the valve seats (I think) get old and makes a noise so the knock senser is what makes the timing go crazy and jump all over? Anyone heard that before?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just confirm that you have warmed up the engine, then unplugged the CTS to set the timing. Then reconnected the .
If the Coolant Temp Sensor is not disconnected you will not be able to set the timing correctly as the computer will be adjusting at the same time.
Also, is the distributor close to perpendicular with the block? It can be out as much as 45 degrees band the engine will still run, but the computer has to fight to keep it running.

Law

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I tried that a couple times and there is a narrow band air/fuel gauge in the car and it stays in the red I am not sure but I beleave its running super rich it smokes black smoke the time it runs and blows it out pretty good when u push the gas Idk if that means anything but just putting everything out there to get the most help I can

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
I have done the timing like 10 times it still runs the same way and has brand new plugs, wires ,cap ,rotor, oil all that! I was told the valve seats (I think) get old and makes a noise so the knock senser is what makes the timing go crazy and jump all over? Anyone heard that before?
you didn't mention that you replaced all that stuff, if you did it wouldn't have gotten recommended to do them. with that being said, any codes???

·
Registered
171 Posts
Also check your grounds and wiring harness connections.
And yes... any codes!?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Turn the key on and off three times then count how many times the check engine light flashes. All code are two digits. light will flash thats your first number then it will pause briefly then light will flash again that is your second digit. 55 means codes are done.

DDG- Turbo fault codes, 1984-1988

·
Administrator
24,983 Posts
You have a vehicle that was modded, sat for 10 years and you are having problems....
You need to know exactly what you have or it is all a guess especially without a Wideband.

Does this vehicle have...???
1)3 bar map?
2)+ 20/+ 40 injectors?
3)AFPR

All basics have been verified correct?

1)Cam/Ignition Timing
2)Fuel Pressure
3)Engine Vacuum and Vacuum System

You may have to start over with a Stock LM, Stock Map and Injectors just to get the car running properly with the base being correct and then re-install your mods.

Here are links to get you started...

CHECKING FOR FAULT CODES
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/362173-obd1-codes-retrieval-chrysler-1983-1995-a.html

CAM TIMING
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/359212-cam-timing-belt-tension-84-95-a.html

FUEL PRESSURE
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/359212-cam-timing-belt-tension-84-95-a.html

MAP SENSOR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it has a 3 bar map. And I know it has bigger injetcors but not sure what size! what's APFR mean?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I found out today I don't have a check engine light today so dident get to check the codes I will be.redoing the timing this cuming weekend so will have more info then

1 - 18 of 18 Posts