Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solenoids.jpg

I have been looking at my 87 GLHS vacuum solenoids and comparing them to other pictures in here. I have also seen where you can purchase foam filters to add to these solenoids.

So here is my question, when I bought my car last month, in the picture is how the solenoids were configured. I just noticed that all unused solenoid ports have caps on them and I thought why have foam filters if they are capped? Are these unused ports supposed to be uncapped and would this possibly cause my car to only see 7lbs of boost?

The previous owner also had a boost gauge hooked up to a vacuum line off the intake manifold and I cannot tell where it was supposed to go (with gauge removed). I have verified all the vacuum lines are correctly routed off the solenoids and intake, so it leads me to believe it is an unused vacuum line coming off the back of the intake. Hopefully someone can tell me if there is an unused vacuum line and I dont get to play find the missing vacuum connection.

Thank you in advance,
Greg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the line that was going to a boost gauge. Looking at diagrams that someone posted, I have the three lines from the intake to the solenoids and this fourth one is not used and may be used for a boost reference line.

20210113_151553_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
There are 4 lines coming out of the round vacuum block.
The 4th hose gets capped off unless you want to feed a boost gauge.

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Premium Member
975 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 273302

I have been looking at my 87 GLHS vacuum solenoids and comparing them to other pictures in here. I have also seen where you can purchase foam filters to add to these solenoids.

So here is my question, when I bought my car last month, in the picture is how the solenoids were configured. I just noticed that all unused solenoid ports have caps on them and I thought why have foam filters if they are capped? Are these unused ports supposed to be uncapped and would this possibly cause my car to only see 7lbs of boost?

The previous owner also had a boost gauge hooked up to a vacuum line off the intake manifold and I cannot tell where it was supposed to go (with gauge removed). I have verified all the vacuum lines are correctly routed off the solenoids and intake, so it leads me to believe it is an unused vacuum line coming off the back of the intake. Hopefully someone can tell me if there is an unused vacuum line and I dont get to play find the missing vacuum connection.

Thank you in advance,
Greg
Hi Greg
Those solenoids that are capped should be open not capped. The foam filter is there to prevent dirt and dust from entering the open solenoid port
Pete

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
The unused ports on the quad solenoid are not supposed to be capped off.
They need to have the filters installed.
Those ports are bleeds.
Here's the on car routing in pictures"

Notice that my Map Sensor hose broke off from the hard line feeding the solenoid. No wonder I couldn't get it going.

Notice that I also need the filters. They disintegrate with age and are needed to help keep dirt and moisture
out of the solenoid packs.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Thanks, and that is exactly what I used to verify my vacuum connections, but the empty line (gauge line) sure as hell looks like it should be hooked up to something! Why run that line over half way to the solenoid bank from the back of the intake manifold only to cap it off?

It also does not answer my question about my solenoids having caps and could that be affecting boost numbers.
Both my GLHS cars came that way.
It's all because the original production harness was made using a round vacuum port that had the long lines already electronically welded to it.
Remember that some of the future Dodge and Shelby production turbo cars would have a boost gauge, so instead of ordering 2 separate parts, they ordered them with the pre-shaped long lines and capped off the unused 4th line for the GLHS cars.
Now when I ordered two new vacuum ports, they came with only 3 inch long lines.
The complete Shelby harness was no longer produced.

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The unused ports on the quad solenoid are not supposed to be capped off.
They need to have the filters installed.
Those ports are bleeds.
Here's the on car routing in pictures"

View attachment 273311

Notice that my Map Sensor hose broke off from the hard line feeding the solenoid. No wonder I couldn't get it going.

Notice that I also need the filters. They disintegrate with age and are needed to help keep dirt and moisture
out of the solenoid packs.

Thank you for the photos!.

My line that was hooked up the a boost gauge is the same one that you have tape over the end. If you see how it routes almost all the way to the solenoid bank you can see what I mean by it looks like it should have been hooked up to something. Why else run it all that way just to cap it off. But then I thought that maybe that vacuum harness is used on multiple cars and just not used on our model.

BTW I will order those filters to save the solenoids.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Man it's been Too long since I popped the hood and did some work.
It's just so damned cold out though.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
a better replacement for the little foam filters on the vacuum solenoids can be found in an 80-90 Mazda at your local pick a part yard

instead of the exposed (cheap) little exposed foam blocks they had what looked like little rubber mushrooms .. the top half of the mushroom head is removable and the foam filter is inside , and replaceable .. easily

they stand a little tall on on the solenoids when installed but clipping a little off the stem the filter goes on lowers them nicely

JDHXbh.jpg

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
You gave me an idea for a washable, non-disintegrating filter!

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Just make sure it has the same or less airflow restriction.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
the mazda ones work perfectly .. no restriction .. vented from the bottom so car wash safe too

little filter pieces can be washed or replaced easy

we should all be raiding the pick a part yards for 'em

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
also , some jeep trucks in the 80's used somewhat more flexible and definitely more heat resistant plastic tubbing for the vacuum accessories
blue , yellow and green .. which happen to match exactly the same colored boot ends and the paint dobs on the solenoids.... and when salvaged from a jeep it comes in usable lengths for our cars..

I used , used jeep tubbing on one of my projects and even then it stayed flexible
img005.jpg
img008.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts