Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I don't know if this has been covered before but what does it take to put a 87 GHLS engine in a 86 TI daytona C/S? Trying to get but a cheap as possible. Still need to buy a new windshield and possibly tires for the thing.

Background. Buying an 86 Daytona Turbo C/S with seized engine. Body is in great shape except for some very minor rust in the spare tire area. Another member has a complete 87 GLHS engine with only 15K on her that I was thinking of buying.

What is the most cost effective method to get this engine to fit in the 86 Daytona? Change out the 87 intake and exhaust with the 86s and can I keep the 87 turbo or do I need to use the 86s?

Any help please.

jj86gn

·
Banned
1,679 Posts
Keep the glhs its worth more and is a better overall car, go to a jy and find all the parts for a swap, dont let a numbered car get destroyed for a everday g body thats nothing special over a one of a 1000 with low miles.

1600 posts :woot:

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
From the way it sounds is that he is just getting an engine. So to get the T2 setup to work with the style of wiring you have, you would need to modify the wiring harness slightly to get it to work. The main difference is the TPS or AIS sensors, one of them is the same but one has to have 2 wires added to get the new TB to work. In terms of a computer, any GLHS style computer would work. I say GLHS style because that was the only group of logic module that had the MAP sensor on the logic module. But if you have an engine bay MAP sensor, you can use an 87 Turbo Z logic module since it is setup like the GLHS logic module but the MAP sensor location is different. Your swap would be the same as getting a T1 L-Body to be a T2 L-Body.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f62/93395-how-convert-85-86-87-t1.html

Here would be the best way to figure out what all you would need. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
But if he is wanting to keep the intake/exhaust off of the 87, he will need to modify a few wires to get the new throttle body to work. But other then that, it will work fine. But the engines are just about the same so all you would really need to do is just use the intake and exhaust off of the 87 and put them on the 86 and modify the wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts