Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tired to find by searching with no luck. Anyone know what the factory speakers ohm rating is? Unfortunately I threw out the factory speakers before measuring them or seeing if they said on the speaker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Todd, thank you. Now I need to pull up my wiring diagram and see if they are wired in parallel or not. I would have thought they were 4 ohms.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Well FWIW, these were from a 4 door l-body (front speakers only). There is some info on various radios using internal jumper wires for certain applications in FSM. This would be knocking them down to 4 ohms using 4 speakers. I think you'll find most aftermarket auto speakers are 4 ohm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I fried an aftermarket 1.5DIN Pioneer radio installing it in my 90 horizon. It had come to me used out of another Chrysler so it had the adapter harness already installed. It seemed to work great for 10 minutes or so of testing with aftermarket door speakers. Then after sitting overnight would not power up at all not even when attached directly to a battery. This seems to be reinforced by another 1990 Horizon I bought that had an aftermarket radio recently installed. While it appeared to be wired correctly, the lights would flicker in and out and only made noise out of the speakers which i assume to be factory. The FSM for the 1990 L-Body was incorrect in the number of wires shown in the grey (I think) plug. It was the plug that would have went to the internal radio jumper. My plug definitely had fewer wires. If memory serves, the speaker negatives (front L&F) were combined. Only two speakers from the factory. Just to be on the safe side when I installed another Pioneer 1.5DIN unit (I have a few) I ran new wires. This may only apply to 1990 L-Body (since they are kind of a one off) aftermarket stereo installation or I may be overlooking something. Just a head's up to anyone installing in a 1990 Omni or Horizon.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
It is 8 ohms. Measured one of my Omni's just for kicks and it came out as 7.6 ohms.
Did you measure it with an ohmmeter or an impedance meter?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Ohm meter. It also stated 8 ohms on the back of the speaker.
Can't argue with the print on the magnet.
8 ohms it is!
Somewhere (maybe Crutchfield?) I read that all Chrysler speakers were 4 ohm, but I never verified it.
Now we know it's 8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts