Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I've been lurking and reading for a while here at the turbododge board, and I am pleased with the community. Good job on the site! Now, to the question(s)..

My buddy drives an 87 Lancer turbo. It's an auto and the overdrive is burned out (his description). He had a problem with leaking tranny fluid; thought it was fixed; it wasn't..blah, blah, blah. Now, the car will go through 1st, 2nd, and then not shift higher. I searched and read for about 2 hours, and all of the info is a bit confusing to me. I don't have any idea what kind of tranny is in his car. I don't know how to tell either. That's my first question..what kind of trans does he have? (I'm thinking the A413 since most of the info points to it) Next question, what transmissions from what model vehicles from what years are compatible with his for a transplant? I couldn't find a faq here with this info in it, so please forgive my ignorance if I overlooked it. Also, I read quite a bit about the 5spd conversion, and this would be an interesting project that we could definitely get into, but I can't find a "how to" and "what pieces you need" thread on this particular application. We are not looking at doing a RWD conversion either.
Once we get the tranny lined out, I'm gonna talk him into an intercooler, boost valve, and exhaust to really wake up his little beast. I've driven a turbo tbird for about 10 years now, and I'm trying to get the "go fast" bug to bite him too. Thanks for any help, fellas.

Kev

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
Yes you have an a413 automatic. The car only has 3 speeds so there is no *overdrive* its just not shifting into third gear. First thing I would check is if your trans filter is clogged. And I would suggest you fix the leak.
I think the 88 and up trans are the best to find. Any turbo automatic car will have the same trans.
A 5 speed swap is relatively simple.
You will need the shifter, shifter cables, pedal assembly, clutch cable, trans, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and if you wanna do it right a manual transmission computer.
The automatic computer will suffice but may act funny sometimes. You can probably mod the auto console in the car to use the 5 speed.
You can make a beastly automatic. You can rebuild it and make it shift hard with a shift kit and add a reverse manual valve body (manually shifting the automatic 1st through 3rd gear).
I have always liked the 5 speed and it really lets the 2.2 turbo loose forsure.
Have you read the beginners site?
Donovan's Dodge Garage
Good luck and WELCOME TO THE FORUM :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so any trans out of an auto turbo powered car from 88 up. What are these cars? I have no idea.

Thanks for the link...
I like the section on easy and free power, but I need to get this tranny business sorted out first.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Turbo cars would be.... Shadow/Sundance ES, LeBaron, Daytona, Spirit, Caravan...pretty much all the FWD Chrysler cars could be ordered with a Turbo engine of one sort or another.

Regards, TheCanadian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the list! I actually used to own an 89 caravan turbo, but that seems like an eternity ago.
Will the tranny from a 2.5 also work with the 2.2? How about NA cars? It seems that the transmissions from NA cars would be built weaker and not work, but I should ask just so I know. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts