Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped motors, the last one kind of mysteriously started getting massive amounts of blowby and smoked horribly. The old motor was an 87 2.2t, the new block was out of a 90 Daytona turbo. Only used the block and head and used the old intake and turbo off the old block. At one point one of the injectors was shorting out on the old motor making it sputter. That magically stopped, but now does it again with the new motor(not sure if it's the same reason though). But it only seemed to to it when the car shut off and I turned it back on. it sputtered real quick then was fine. But even shifting up it'll stall until I let off the clutch and it starts back up. It runs smooth and sounds great, starts up very easily, but just wants to be a pain.

·
Administrator
24,996 Posts
Are any fault codes set?

Will the car idle normally?

What is engine vacuum reading at idle?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not throwing any codes, the idle is almost perfect, it just has a little pop every like 30 seconds or so. I'm not sure what the engine vacuum is. How do i check that? but if the idle is low and the timing is off would it make it do this. My tach doesnt work so we did it by ear by I'm buying and aftermarket one to get the idle right. My buddy that swapped the motor said when he hit it with the timing gun he had to set it at 8 degrees or it would stall at idle. So it made me think maybe the idle is way off and it's making it stall when i let off the throttle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found that the wire coming from the speeds sensor on the trans was barely hanging on. I touched it and it came completely off. Unfortunately no carries the one that i have on my car. there is no plug on the sensor, the wire just comes straight out of it. the cable for the speedo still works though. I saw in a post that it could cause stalling and wheni went to check it it just fell off. Im guessing this could be my issue. I'm hoping if so i can find a replacement one. I can post a pic of it soon if that will be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
ya , cryco changed the sensors some time back
when you bought a replacement you got a short jumper cable with it that pluged into the end that orig went to your old style sensor and the other end fitted into the newer sensor

if you can't find the jumper cable , I'd try spliceing on the new style plug to fit the new style sensor

worst part would be haveing to reach back behind some gressy old thing to scavenge the plug you'll be needing for the new sensor

just remember to reuse the gear off your old sensor so it's accurate when you put the new sensor in

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya , cryco changed the sensors some time back
when you bought a replacement you got a short jumper cable with it that pluged into the end that orig went to your old style sensor and the other end fitted into the newer sensor

if you can't find the jumper cable , I'd try spliceing on the new style plug to fit the new style sensor

worst part would be haveing to reach back behind some gressy old thing to scavenge the plug you'll be needing for the new sensor

just remember to reuse the gear off your old sensor so it's accurate when you put the new sensor in
so if i buy a new sensor it should work? it looks like it wont even fit down to the gear. the one thats on it is straight down and the new ones have little clip things on them that look like it might be in the way. also there's a bolt next to the sensor but isnt even holding it on. it made me think the ones i saw online would work but i didnt want to get one if it didnt reach down to the gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
weird the first time I click your link I get 3 options but now it only goes to the one I clicked

check todays posts - look for a thread by iphightthphunk - not sure I spelt that right
last or near last post he says he just bought one
try a pm to him and see what he got for his 89 shelby (but that car won't have a speedo cable)

the thread starts with a chargeing issue but switches to a speed sensor issue

the shiney bit looks odd to me on the one in your link but it's been awhile since I looked at the bottom of one

the little black tabs are ment to clip over a flange on the gear to retain it on the sender

I think the early one used a wire hook deal instead

the bolt should go through the hole in the sensor to attach it to the houseing on the trans

yours is more like a black plastic cylinder with the wire comeing out of it ?

do you need one with a speedo cable? the sensors come both with and without the provision for the cable

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah. its the black cylinder with the wire coming from it. The tip is a few inches long and the hole for it is the same width the whole way down. the one in the link wouldnt fit that i can tell. And yes I need the one with the cable for my speedometer. I'll send that guy a massage and see if he can let me know where it got his. And if they have the one with the cable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read his post and it turned out his alternator was shot. And my car was doing this with a new alternator but had to use an odler one that came with the motor I just had dropped in. No codes are coming up but I havent driven it more than a quarter mile since it kept shutting off on me. But when i had the last motor in and was driving it to my buddy's house to swap the motor it was doing it then too with no code. And also now my fan isnt working. gotta check the realy. it did this b4 and magically started working fine again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To NAJ and Dr. Johny Dodge. this shed some light on my issue. Speed/Distance Sensor - MiniMopar Resources I appreciate the your help. I'm gonna find a replacement speed sensor and keep my fingers crossed. I need this car ASAP. But will this cause the stutter when it shut off and i started it back up and gave it gas. It only did it for a split second. I'm hoping if not it's just a bad injector. That'll be an easy fix. Just sucks since I just put new rings on them since I just swapped them when I swapped the motor. BTW the computer is the split one with the power module at the intake and the map sensor under the hood. so will what i saw on that link. Figured I'd ask.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
I just read his post and it turned out his alternator was shot. And my car was doing this with a new alternator but had to use an odler one that came with the motor I just had dropped in. No codes are coming up but I havent driven it more than a quarter mile since it kept shutting off on me. But when i had the last motor in and was driving it to my buddy's house to swap the motor it was doing it then too with no code. And also now my fan isnt working. gotta check the realy. it did this b4 and magically started working fine again.
I know , the thread starts with an alternator prob but ends with him sayin he just bought another alt AND speed sensor

the newer replacement should look like the one in the link you posted - note it has the provision for the cable too

the black plastic cylinder one like yours was discontinued back in the early '90's
note the link also shows the jumper wire I mentioned

I'm just not sure about the silver part on the bottom where the black tabs are - maybe it's just to keep the tabs from getting broken off ? - before you remove it and put the gear on (??)

but , yeah the newer style sensor looks just like the one in your link , it does not look anything like the old orig one

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet. Thank you sir. I'm gonna get one tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work with the gear to the axle. If not Im sure I can get one like mine from the guy at Forward Motion Inc. He always has old parts that still work I guess from tear downs he has done. Just found this and figured I'd throw it on this post. Mine was the far left one. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/speedsensor.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts