Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what all needs done to drop an 88 turbo motor into my 87 lancer. i didnt notice how different it was til i looked at the current motor. I see a few things different. like the lack of a coolant line to the heater core. the 4 wire IAC. No vacuum cylinder on the intake manifold since its the bigger one piece blow through or whatever the other one was. my old motor has the throttle body then the turbo. the other is swapped. just need some pointers to get it done right. i do have the computer along with everything but the AC pump for the new motor. if it cant be done that'll suck, i need to swap them in the next few weeks so i can have it for work.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you're going for stock and replacing a bad motor for a good one, then just swap the '87 intake and turbo onto the '88 motor. Not sure what you meant by "lack of coolant line to the heater core".

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you're doing this to "T2" the car, then you need an '87 T2 computer, convert to a underhood map sensor, and do a little wiring. You have to swap some wires between the two computer plugs and add some wires to the plugs for the AIS and MAP. It's really easy. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f21/32723-85-86-87-t1-87-t2.html

Be sure to read post #3 for a small correction.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the map sensor is under the hood. it was a 87 t1 stock. then the motor was swapped with a t2 motor and computer. supposedly. cant ever trust what im told these days. And it was a 2.2 but had 2.5 crank and rods dropped in with a bigger cam and running 20 lbs. of boost. but thanks, i was thinking swapping the intake and turbo. i just wasnt sure if that would be that easy. another issue is the dip stick tube broke off the block of the new motor. can i just pull that out with some pliers and switch it with the one on my old block? or can that be welded and not leak oil. and the old motor had a coolant line off the water pump to go into the heater core. i havent had time to figure out how that works on the 88 block. but i wont need heat till november any so i should be ok with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts