Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Csx with the T1 block and T2 intake and such. I have a chance to buy a running motor and transmission for $400 out of a 91 daytona shelby, non intercooled I believe. I am not sure about the transmission. A525 or A568. I am wondering if anyone has done this kind of swap and what I need from the daytona, wiring mostly. I was also wondering if anyone knew what transmission came in the 91 shelby daytonas. ANY comments welcomed that might help. The reason i am doing this is after I bought the Csx, the head gasket blew after 10 miles, tore into the motor and found that the cylinder where the head gasket blew(#2) looks like it had been been filled with an inch of water and all around the cylinder there was some currosion. I do not want to put too much money into a T1 block that my only take 225 hp anyway. Car ran great before the head gasket blew. Wheels broke loose at 35 mph in second gear with good tires. Any suggestions welcomed. Regardless of the problems, I am very excited about being back into the Dodge 2.2 game. First was an 84 Turismo. then and 86 Turismo, (could not find decent Chargers, Turismo is really one anyway) and in 1992 had a Csx-t.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not real familiar with the 87 CSX, but I'll give it a shot.

If the 91 Shelby Daytona was a non-intercooled car, that means it was a 2.5L with a Mitsu turbo and if it was a 5-speed, it would most likely be a cable shifted 523.

You could use your harness and wiring, but it would require a new CAL because of the bigger engine. Or you could try and cheat and use your stock 2.2 CAL and install +20 injectors and an adjustable FPR. The larger injectors will compensate for the added displacement of the engine and give you a little extra fuel for a couple more pounds of boost. This is also assuming your CSX came with a swirl head stock and not a "G" head.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
Your 87 csx is a t1 motor converted to a t2.
Yes the non intercooled daytonas are 2.5 t1's and if its a shelby, more then likely it got a 568 (IIRC) but may very well have an a523 (check the tag on top of the trans).
Your csx WOULD LOVE the 2.5 with the garret. However you will need a custom cal to run your 2.5 or run +20's to compensate for the 2.2 computer with a 2.5 motor.
The torque of the 2.5 and the quicker spooling of the garret will make the car a great stoplight to stoplight car.
Q

1 - 4 of 4 Posts