Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be quite the cult following on these cars, I was hoping to steal some knowledge from what seems to be the epicenter of 80's turbo dodges. I have almost no knowledge on these cars but am fully willing to dive head first into being a new owner of one. I wanted to know what you guys thought of this care I am looking at this weekend. As well as how hard it is going to be getting parts and other things I should be concerned about with this car. Thanks in advance for any intel you guys can help me with.

EDIT: Asking is 3500$ My main concern is it seems to be missing some parts in the engine bay (correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Super Moderator
11,839 Posts
air filter assembly is obviously missing..
semi rare car .. 1011 1987 shelby chargers built

only two colours .. red and black -no center consoles and all with sunroof.
490 odd red ones 500 and some black ones..

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
What's it worth is kinda up to you. IMO, someone selling a vehicle that apparently doesn't run should be prepared to take a big hit on it's value. If it doesn't run, you don't know anything about the condition of the drivetrain. Cars that have been sitting for a while will many, many, times have fuel and brake issues (at a minimum). All of these issues are masked if you can't evaluate that. It could have headgasket, bearing noise, broken ring lands, tranny problems, heater core failure, you name it... It is a roll of the dice, and should be purchased accordingly. Also seeing that it is either a non AC car or has had it removed, may hinder it's value to some people too. On the other hand, it is easier to work on. My advice is try to get it cheap, because your going to find issues with the car, bank on it. If it was so easy to fix, the owner would have it running right?
Good luck,

·
Super Moderator
11,839 Posts
I have a black 87.. with 47 000 KM's on it..27-8 000 miles
it has a still perfect interior and most of the original engine compartment parts are intact .. with exception of a vacuum line repair using a dealer part and a couple of crimp on ground terminals here & there

seller had it posted for I don't know how long .. but I had the add saved for three years on my PC before I even bothered to call about it
asking was 5200 CDN
bought for 2500

it's been wrecked once .. had the passenger fender hood and nose replaced & cheaply painted

needs shocks , brakes and .. well new paint..

has ZERO rust...only took thirty years to find it.. with NO RUST

first thing you wanna check in that red car is the back half of the front wheel wells
there's a seam at the end of the firewall wheel hump..just behind the inner edge of the plastic fender liner..

it's where they rot first ..and they were gone here in under 4 years .. in the rust belt areas
check the rocker panels / door sills and floors
if rotted..do your self a huge favor..walk away
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
I concur with Dr. J. The front a pillar gusset seams go first. I bought a pristine looking 83 DC Rampage, and within a year I had to have them fixed. Unfortunately the guy I paid to it, did it complete wrong. Long stroy short the cars been tied up for three years and everywhere I look it needs more fresh steel underneath. (Surprisingly there was no door sag). On a different note, and I hate to interupt the current thread, but I'm new here and I'm not sure how this works. Both the DC Rampage and Shelby have ground effects. When I removed mine (after find rotted rockers full of bondo) I noticed it was attached using "wood screws". I'd like to restore it properly. Does anybody here know if they used 2 sided tape, screws or holes and plastic plugs? And as a follow up question did these cars come with rear wheel well "liners"?
Thanks for any help. And best of luck with the shelby (would have been nice if the Rampage had the turbo as an option).
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts