Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am getting ready to put some 3.50 gears in my A555 and was under the impression that 87-88 A555 were diffrent from 89 and newer. When was the cut off when they started making 89 transmissions because the one in my car is an August of 1988. Whould that have the newer stuff in it or would it have the older stuff in it. I also bought an 1988 set of gears or so I think. How would I tell if they are newer or older stuff??

Thanks,
Kris

· Registered
627 Posts
The 89 gears have a coarser spline on the intermediate shaft for 1st gear ( next to the pinion gear ) . Post a pic of the gears you bought, and post a pic of your trans with the pan off as Tryingbe suggusted and we can tell if you have the right gearset.

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the splines on the shaft are different, how much different are they? If the shaft I have matches the shaft in my transmission in my car then they are they are both the right same year. If I got a pair of calipers and measured them what should the spline width be from the old ones to the new ones??

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All A-555's are small-spline.
I know they are all small spline on the input shaft. We are talking about the intermediate shaft. If they are courser then there should be less of them unless the intermediate shaft is larger. How many splines do they have on the diffrent years or how much larger is one to the other. I am going to take the pan off this weekend and get a good look at it. If in the mean time anyone knows how many splines are on the two diffrent year shafts or how wide the splines are let me know. Are the newer ones the same size as the A568 A523 my friend has a couple of those laying around we can check out so I know with out taking mine apart. Let me know guys

thanks,
Kris

· Registered
13,610 Posts
Take it apart? All you want is to get the transmission pan off so we can see how the end of the shafts are holding on, by a nut or a c-clip. 30 minute job at most.

Quit throwing the word spline around. It confuses people.

If you must see pictures of the intermediate shaft.
Left is 87/88 A520 intermediate shaft, right is 89

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know with all this talk of shafts and splines some people might get a little excited. Guess I just need to throw in a stick, and ribbed for her pleasure too get them really going. LOL

Thanks for the pics I was going to take the pan off this weekend. I am going to change the ball joints and strut mounts this this weekend figure it would be a good time to take the pan off and take a gander too. Looks like the gear set I have is a 87/88 set hopefuly it is it the same as my tranny. I will keep ya posted I might be on the hunt for some 89 gears after tomarrow. That isnt by chance a 3.50 gear in the pic there is it....hint...hint. Thanks for everyones help again.

Kris

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I have an 89 transmission then. Guess I should have taken the end off before I bought gears. Does anyone happen to have a set of 3.50 89 gears then? Thanks for everyones help.

Kris

· Registered
190 Posts
How much for your 87-88 gear set?? i have 88 a-555 that needs them.:thumb:
let me know?
Shawn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.