Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do a full engine rebuild and need to know where to find master rebuild kit for my 88 shelby z 2.2L TII. Any part #'s i should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I might suggest you take a look over at RockAuto and assemble all the bits needed. You will potentially save a lot of cash and you can use the current rockauto discount code posted here on the site in the vendor area to save an additional 5% off there already very low prices.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've looked at what Rock Auto offers.
It looks like the same pistons for both inner cooled and T1.
Did T2 motors use the same pistons ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've looked at what Rock Auto offers.
It looks like the same pistons for both inner cooled and T1.
Did T2 motors use the same pistons ?

Here's a great resource that explains a lot of the similarities and differences between all the years and trims! Click on turbo database on left hand side.

The Dodge Garage

·
Legendary Driver
10,889 Posts
If you're going to rebuild the engine you go with forged pistons, not hypertechnic aftermarket junk. Too bad Mahle doesn't make stockers anymore as they were tougher than the aftermarket crap but not as expensive as forged.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dodge Garage is a great resource, thanks.
I've purchased a lot of replacement parts from Rock auto. Good supplier as well.
Unfortunately the web site above is not totally clear about piston spec's.
I do know the factory PN differs from T1 pistons so I imagine there is a difference.
I do also agree with steering clear of the huperutectic pistons.
I will use forged pistons when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Factory Mahle pistons are no longer available. NOS have been VERY hard to find for many years. Forged pistons though expensive initially, are a better bet than any of the current aftermarket, they are crap in a turbo motor and will easily break under anything more than factory boost levels. Even then they will, they just are not heavy duty enough for our turbo engines. Venolia and Wiseco and JE forged pistons are the way to go or find a good used set of Mahle and a good block to put them in...not so easy either.

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
Dodge Garage is a great resource, thanks.
I've purchased a lot of replacement parts from Rock auto. Good supplier as well.
Unfortunately the web site above is not totally clear about piston spec's.
I do know the factory PN differs from T1 pistons so I imagine there is a difference.
I do also agree with steering clear of the huperutectic pistons.
I will use forged pistons when the time comes.

t2 pistons are full floating wrist pins, the t1's are not, there is the reason for the different part numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts