Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 dodge daytona 2.2 turbo 5 speed. The car run but idles at 4500 rpm and I have redone all vaccums new head gasket, intake gasket, new tps, new iacv, and thottle body. :bang head Plus I dont know if it has anything to do with it but when it is running the volts gage goes all the way up to 18

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
First thing always is to check for codes. You can see how to do that in the second post here...
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/371291-help-my-daytona.html

First thing I think of when there is a high idle issue is a vacuum leak (i.e. air getting into the engine somewhere it shouldn't, and then the computer compensates by adding more fuel). If you're 100% sure there are no vacuum lines leaking, no leaking gaskets ect then I would look at the throttle body. Make sure the butterfly closes enough, I forget the measurement but it should close to the point where you can fit a 1/16" drill bit between the bore and the butterfly (or somewhere there about). If it's open much more than that (which it would have to be to idle at 4500) then try adjusting the stop screw. Adjust it so the throttle can't COMPLETELY close (it can get stuck closed), if that brings you're RPM back to normal range then you've found the problem.

One thing I noticed you didn't mention is the PCV, if the hose to the intake for the PCV is missing you'll get high rpms, also if the PCV is missing, or if someone broke off the tube on the intake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the throttle body off of a running car. The pcv is there but if its good or not I dont know I'll have to check and it is all hooked up right. Do u think it could be the ecm? I have checked the codes and the last time I checked them it was a tps and I put a new one on it since then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing I dont know if it means anything or not but every vaccum diagram I have found for this car it shows a vaccum coming off the turbo to the waste gate then to the waste gate seliniod but my turbo does not have a vaccum that comes off it only has the one for the waste gate.

·
Administrator
25,548 Posts
Code 24 TPS Voltage High or Low does not mean the TPS itself is actually bad, it means the circuit has an issue and the TPS is only one part of the circuit.

Do you have a T-1 Non-Intercooled or a T-2 Intercooled?
The vacuum systems are different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I put the new tps on it the code went away and now the only code I have is a 46. I dont know if it is a t-1 or t-2 all I know is that it has a after market inercooler on it. Since I posted this I changed the pick up in the dis and still the same. So I think I'm down to tracing wires or the ecm is bad. Or just sell the car.

·
Administrator
25,548 Posts
Code 46 is a charging system fault code...Battery Voltage Too High

1 - 7 of 7 Posts