Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member and need some assistance. I have an 88 Lebaron Convertible that I believe to be one of the 1500 or so Limited Edition models of 1988. Bought it new in 88 but did not realize the Limited Edition possibility until a couple of years ago. It has 5 lug rear drum setup. Question - Is the Hub assembly a press fit matter and if so what is easiest way to remove, hydraulic press or hammer, using care. I'm in process of replacing rear brakes, shocks, etc. and the drums currently mike at 201 mm so probably just need to replace drums. Sorry for the long post.

jimathome

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
I have not worked on one of these cars with drum brakes for years so I do not know if they are 1 piece or 2. The newer Chryslers with drum brakes are 1 piece.
If this is a 1 piece drum/hub assembly the hub is held on to the drum by the wheel studs.
Remove the wheel studs and the hub will seperate.
Remove the outer bearing and remove the assembly from the car.
You can remove the studs with a large hammer and punch(use a punch that is a smaller diameter than the stud so you do not damage the threads).
To reinstall you can use a hammer and punch, an impact gun, large nut (which will be used as a collar on the stud) and a lug nut, but it is probably easier to have them pressed in an out.
Do not forget to clean, inspect(bearings and races) and repack the bearings and replace the seals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NAJ for the quick and informative reply. As I stated in my first post, I bought the car in Oct. 88 paying just a few $ short of $20 grand. High $ for this type vehicle back then. It's all white, including wheels, gray leather interior, auto with 2.2 Turbo 1. I'm in process of bringing vehicle back to a good roadworthy and appearance condition. Replacing brakes, suspension, exhaust, all vacuum hoses and water flow hoses, etc. I hope to have this on the road in the next few weeks so may be asking lots of questions. Have repair manual on CD but did not address how to separate the rear bearing hub from drum.

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
I payed $18,500(after $1500.00 rebate) in Dec 89 for my 90 Daytona VNT so i know what you are talking about.
Alldata had no info on drum/hub removal either so I am going by experiance, I do not have manuals on hand that go past 1990.
Ask all the questions you like, someone will have the answer.
Good Luck with the project!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts