Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i've been looking online at Daytona's for sale around my area and I found a 89 Shelby T2 car. It melted a piston and the guy wants it gone out of his field. Now here is my question I have an 88' T2 Non-Cb bottom end with 1500 miles on it and its ready to go. Can I just drop it in and go or are the accessories going to hold me up?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol if I had the 88' that would be fine, but its just the bottom end. I know i'd use the oil pan from the non Cb but what is so different from 88 to 89?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
well ive done this a few times but my memory is failing right now, this is what i remember the water pump is reversed from 88 to 89 so the water pump has to be changed out and the pulley has to be changed to the smooth pully, the power steering should be fine, i think every thing else will be ok just need to get the proper size belts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well ive done this a few times but my memory is failing right now, this is what i remember the water pump is reversed from 88 to 89 so the water pump has to be changed out and the pulley has to be changed to the smooth pully, the power steering should be fine, i think every thing else will be ok just need to get the proper size belts
Is this all that is involved or am I going to run into some big issues upon reinstall?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
use all the accessories from the 89 and it should be fine, use the water pump from 89 too, the pumps from 88-89 changed rotation

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
If you bolt on the '89 water pump it won't matter. You're just using your '88 bottom end minus all the accessories right? Bolt all the '89 stuff to your block and drop it in.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
So what your saying, if I have a non cb, just swap over water pump from an 89? Is that it or do you have to swap over oil pump and dist also?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seeing as the crank has the square tooth does that mean I'll have to switch the head to a square tooth cam gear as well? 88 = square and 89 = round?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seeing as the crank has the square tooth does that mean I'll have to switch the head to a square tooth cam gear as well? 88 = square and 89 = round?
bump, I need to know.. I think the answer is yes I will have to use a Square tooth cam gear but I'm just checking to see if it just bolt and go.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
the crank and cam sprockets will need to be the same, whether to use the square or round
I'll let some one who knows more say.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts