Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my 88 with a few bugs and electrical is not my specialty.
#1 the tach stopped working yesterday and then the volt meter stopped working, what send the signal to these and what could it be?

#2 when i bought it the pwr windows wont work at all on both sides and the pwr seat belts dont work, well the pass side works slow sometimes.

the fuses are good, so where to go from here?
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have an 89 and my tach worked intermitantly. Also the temp guage would stick, had to tap it.

I went to the junkyard and found a spare cluster(has to be 89 and earlier) and swapped the tach drive board(small piggy back board), and the water temp guage onto my cluster and reinstalled which fixed the problem. There are two connectors for the electrical and the speedo cable which clips on. Loosen the speedo cable in the engine bay before you take the cluster out.
Also loosen your steering column and drop it down so you can remove the cluster.

Mike

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i am very familiar with removing and swapping clusters, just never had one stop working, so everything that controls the tach and volts is in the cluster electronics?
i thought if they went the whole thing went, huh.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If the tach and volt meter went at the same time, you may have lost the cluster power feed or ground. Reflowing the solder joints on the tach board often brings them back too.

The windows are fed through a circuit breaker. Check for power there and at the switches. If you have power, then the switches may be bad. The power seatbelt tracks get full of crud. It took some time, but I kept flushing WD40 throught he tracks of mine and then relubed it when it worked freely.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i seen that the other day, i'll test it and see if it gets juice.

i got the pass. side belt to slowly move, thanks for the tip

is there a shadow tach that will go in with a oil press. guage besides the digital?
and if i were to find a digital shadow cluster does it plug in or do i need the harness too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts