Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nothing worse than broken bolts, ahhhh... SO annoying!
How about melted wires?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Crankset Automotive wheel system

Gonna splice in a 89 Tbi iac plug since this one is melted like so many other TBI cars I run across. This time it gave a code usually it just makes the car hesitate BAD due to shorted wires.

Took it for a ride no smoke or overheating but need to fix iac plug and MAP hose or sensor too...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I feel like wiring is a bit chill and zen for me, I can do wiring and be relaxed but things like stuck bolts make me go insane and get frustrated like crazy!

Great videos... I just ordered my replacement ECU for my Lebaron, hope I can get it to run on 3 clyinders long enough to get it parked and do the repairs before summer...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I feel like wiring is a bit chill and zen for me, I can do wiring and be relaxed but things like stuck bolts make me go insane and get frustrated like crazy!

Great videos... I just ordered my replacement ECU for my Lebaron, hope I can get it to run on 3 clyinders long enough to get it parked and do the repairs before summer...
I remember you said you pulled one of the spark plug wires when it was running and it shorted the computer or something?

If one of the cylinders is dead do a compression test.

On the Reliant Fixed the wiring it accelerates almost perfect.

No codes but still have air in the heater core and a ton of parts to swap
Shipping box Bag Luggage and bags Packaging and labeling Gadget

Also I could only get one bolt in the exhaust flange. I went the ghetto route...

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Vice grips are holding pretty strong

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update.

Took on a few test runs

Blew brake hose luckily already had them.
Plant Reptile Scaled reptile Road surface Snake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim Gas

Nuts were stuck to the lines as usual so the torch freed em up. Cool green flame too..

Also adjusted struts prev owner had top of tire sticking out now camber is straight.and greased front end.

Was still idling high and bogging/hesitating

Swapped IAC from parts pile
cleaned TBI unit
Used old exhaust spring to fit bolt no more vice grips...
Changed fuel filter saw no dirt but was hard to blow through unlike New one
Re did more vac lines
Ran black wire from 4 wire O2 to 3 wire harness Now have grey wire ran to battery neg terminal.

Now it can go for a decent length ride runs real good. No codes or smoke/leaks

Next plan is

Grind frame more get to last rack bolt
get a muffler
do timing belt
Bump timing till ping
Gut airbox
flush heater core
Scrub rust paint/undercoat
Bolts for dash (it's loose)
Exhaust donut (used one leaks)
Change oil filter at 50 mile mark
Trans fluid/filter.
Alignment
Fix radio.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Updates

Got 2nd rack bolt out (was harder than rebuilding the engine took so long)
Vehicle brake Tool Bicycle part Gear Hand tool

Took tons of heat juice and 3 wrenches wedged in the frame hole. Replaced it with a intake manifold bolt and a locknut doused in blue locktite. Now steering is tight...

Got a nice $18 muffler ENFORCER 2 now it doesn't sound like a total pos.

Still have to do donut gasket the used one leaks and the 88 downpipe is a Lil different than the 94 manifold..

On the running front was fighting a stuttering issue when warm figured out the Allpar TBI mod bypass intake heater hoses was a bad idea lol. So now it drives good. Other mods that seem to work are 15°timing and gutted airbox...

Fixed idle issue by adjusting it.

Just did Timing belt. Old one was shredding the belt from a warped cover.
Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle chain

Brickwork Wood Asphalt Road surface Brick

Removed a few chunks off both covers and set belt tension cold then hot. No moaning sounds.

Pulled the RN12YC's I had gapped at .40 and swapped in the NGK's from the cracked head just to parts cannon the hesitation issue. Might get new ones at some point. Idled smoother with the Champions but actually accelerates smooth with the Ngk's

Also the 4 wire o2 from the 94 manifold had a melted heater wire (I never hooked it up) so tossed it wired up a new Honda Accord downstream o2 had lying around to the 3 wire harness. Seems to be working plugs look good after a few days on the Honda o2
Light Automotive tire Red Gas Auto part

Still have to fix radio undercoat it and tighten the dash.

Only other issue was the coolant temp sensor. I have a bunch in the junk pile and one gave a code 17 (180 tstat 1/16th hole)then the next one gave a code 22 I think or it was stored from the last one. Cleared codes took it for a few rides no codes yet runs good...

·
Registered
422 Posts
On the running front was fighting a stuttering issue when warm figured out the Allpar TBI mod bypass intake heater hoses was a bad idea lol. So now it drives good. Other mods that seem to work are 15°timing and gutted airbox...
Man you are really kicking ass on this project!

I still gotta do a 0-100 KPH recording and see who has the faster TBI!

Where I live, the weather is no longer cold and snowy so the cops are out doing speed checks everywhere. I was having fun booting it around town the other day and spinning the engine all the way to like 4500 RPM(lol) and a Porsche Cayenne passed me on the straight after a looooong uphill turn where the van really hugged the corners in it's own, floaty way haha...

I passed the Cayenne like a minute later pulled over at a speed check... good thing my van barely hits 100 KPH even after like 9 seconds of flooring it, hahaha...

What's next for your TBI? I'm broke AF at the moment but damn I really want a side-exhaust on my van and a more-fun 2.5 NA motor. It is definitely more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

They are SO sneaky with speed checks and cel phone checks. They hide in the bushes at multiple locations looking for anyone who dares check their phone at the 1-2 minute long lights here and they setup speed checks at the bottom of hills, right where the speed limit changes... but never in school zones!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Man you are really kicking ass on this project!

I still gotta do a 0-100 KPH recording and see who has the faster TBI!

Where I live, the weather is no longer cold and snowy so the cops are out doing speed checks everywhere. I was having fun booting it around town the other day and spinning the engine all the way to like 4500 RPM(lol) and a Porsche Cayenne passed me on the straight after a looooong uphill turn where the van really hugged the corners in it's own, floaty way haha...

I passed the Cayenne like a minute later pulled over at a speed check... good thing my van barely hits 100 KPH even after like 9 seconds of flooring it, hahaha...

What's next for your TBI? I'm broke AF at the moment but damn I really want a side-exhaust on my van and a more-fun 2.5 NA motor. It is definitely more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

They are SO sneaky with speed checks and cel phone checks. They hide in the bushes at multiple locations looking for anyone who dares check their phone at the 1-2 minute long lights here and they setup speed checks at the bottom of hills, right where the speed limit changes... but never in school zones!
I'm so broke I rebuilt the engine on the sidewalk in a snowstorm, Resurfaced the head on a $5 piece of tile, running a Honda Accord o2 some kid tossed and used spark plugs.

Plan is to make it the daily driver so I can keep my nicer cars for weekends out of general traffic problems.

I'll film a 0-60mph soon. I'm still breaking in the engine avoiding highways.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Updates.

Bled brakes
Swapped in New motor/trans mounts
Right side of drivers seat is loose I think it's a bushing

Undercoated with Surface Shield and inspected rust. besides rocker one side it looks really good for a scrap price car especially over 30 years old.

The windshield washer wasn't working so pulled the bottle and found this..
Automotive tire Tread Grey Wood Automotive exterior

It had some trashed aluminum tape over it so replaced it with T-Rex tape. The dash is also loose and messed up so I'm guessing some idiot tried to do the heater core?

Anyways washer issue was the button wouldn't go in enough so pulled back the collar and now it comes on fine.

Seems to be running good. Ticks when cold so might buy new lifters and switch out the 10w40 conventional break in oil for 5w30 Full syn.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
UPDATES
Currently daily driven. good on gas

Definitely has that beater car feel.
Have a bunch of cosmetic issues to deal with. A long list but nothing that impedes daily usage...

Dash still loose bolts are tight but it has a gap between the firewall and dashpad flops up and down (anyone know if there's a bracket behind there or just jam longer bolts???) I found this pic and the dashpad has 3 bolts but here there are 4 holes...
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire

Starter gear doesn't want to extend when cold just like my Dodge 600 (makes the motor sound but no engagement) works great over 50 degrees though

Muffler too low gotta try to shorten pipe and tuck it up higher

Driver seatback rightside is loose sagging back. seems to be a bushing but have to remove whole bench seat to fix?

downpipe flange was broken so the part that slips in the gasket was never there. Have a chunk of one off another car just have to use adapters and put it on.

noise when turning (shifting suspension sound) might be the rack vent pipe that popped out and too annoying to get it lined up with the inner tie rod boots. Also steering wheel is crooked. fight to change rack bolts (cut hole in frame) means I'll adjust it someday over the rainbow...

brakes are meh. calipers rusted I bet the pins are frozen. planning on a brake upgrade...

speakers badly blown and keep cutting out and cd player shuts off when u press buttons plus the foam pads holding it in are ghetto AF. got some 3ohm house speakers to go in...

still have to flush coolant and change trans fluid.

rear bearings are loose with weight on the ground.

still have the jury rigged Honda o2 sensor and used plugs from old head.

when cold timing tensioner makes noise (only did belt)

tires dry rotted.

most door light sensors don't work

fuel hoses dry rotted

maybe more...

going to try this week to fix

Downpipe
dashpad (very annoying buzzing have to hold it up at redlights)
seat sagging
fuel hoses
speakers/radio

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Updates.

Fixed dash and found some Samsung 3ohm 3" home surround speakers actually fit the dash (peak ghetto) sounds great.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel

Driven a couple thousand miles and it reset itself so now it's a new car
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Tachometer Gauge

Had some issues

Noticed slight oil loss. still at Full (was above it at oil change 5qt) but slowly dropping after 2-3K miles.

Tonight pushed it half throttle and it stuck for a few seconds. I don't want to endup like this guy

So took the air cleaner off lubed the cable and added a 3rd spring. Noticed the cable is cracked all over. Gonna tape it up later. no more sticking throttle. Did a little test to be sure....

While it was apart noticed new front engine mount was broken and valve cover gasket is leaking. Nice...

Checked my parts pile and found the new front mount like a Where's Waldo challenge.see if u spot it...
Gas Bottle Machine Plastic Box

Might have a valve cover gasket somewhere too or I'll glue the blue felpro I reused before.

Going to do the front mount tomorrow. Found pulling the rad fan u can pull the bracket from the top. Much easier.
Gotta fix it early tomorrow need to get GrandpaSleeper his cam tomorrow....

·
Registered
422 Posts
My Voyager throttle was sticking the other week, blasted it with WD-40 and it's been fine since...

That video of the 1300 hp car? That driver was an ABSOLUTE moron, so lucky he didn't kill anyone!

In my experience at a few track days, if I smell the brakes it is because they're just about done... (street brakes that is)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I looked for an 84' TBI 287 head for a while to shelve as a spare for my Stocker, found like 3 of em, all stock, worn, filthy, and needing a lot of work just to clean em enough to inspect and pressure test before machining, offered reasonable prices on all 3 of them, but not the $400.00 asking prices or Make Offer. Long story short, took my freshly prepped head (by TurboDodgeParts.com), to the local machine shop to double check the cc's he had done to the chambers to see how close to min's of 48.4 cc's each was, told him I was looking for a 287 head to keep as a spare and showed him the 3 offer rejections on e-bay (all $400 firm for unknown junk), he said in the back, second shelf on the right as you get into head storage, those 3 have been here since the mid 90's, and said for $400 you can have em all, go next door and give em a ck., in 10 mins, we were cc'ing all 4 heads. They were all hot tanked, not perfect by any means, but all ready to be pressure tested, and machined, no cracks in any of the 3, and already all descaled in the passages. So, I do have spares now as a Stocker with 1 head, is a Stocker with a short future if you do not have the matching numbers backup.

So, check machine shops before even junk yards, many have the exact parts we need on their spare parts shelves.

Here I was looking all over the world (for about the last 5 years), with firm too high for condition prices, and with high shipping charges attached also, and he had 3 good ones, already cleaned up and degreased & decarboned (at a deal price of $133.00 each if I took all 3, just to get em out of their way into my spare stash), on his shelf all lined up together in a pretty neat lil row on an eye level shelf 3 miles away from my home.

Ask and you may find. I was so shocked when he slowly pointed, said go look at em', like em we will make you a hell of a deal. They were dusty, but could see great condition and ready to machine up. (Yeah, he could have said higher each, but they didn't).

When I sent off the stock head for machining 1st time ever, we could not afford to go to crazy and get the chambers down to bare bones minimum without those backups, so it isn't, but with spares, we see how this 1 performs, and maybe we have another prepared a lot closer, like Greg Houge wants me to do...Max that cam, and minimize the chambers, and look for the differences.

Money is only an object, sry kids, we are going to spend your inheritance introducing you to Dad's former passion, before your raising up & college educations became the new passion.

Gonna get back to the track, come join me in my twilight years comeback! If ya don't take to it like Dad did, you can sell it and the spares when I'm gone. Lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh yeah, also saw brand new 287 castings, perfect matches out of SoCal, cast brand spanking new, the part number is correct on em, $400.00 each bare, and he bought the rights to cast them from Mopar, but the Pentastar is not proudly displayed so they are not considered OEM castings, not legal. That really stunk, but ebay if you need em for a daily driver build unless a true purist.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Oh yeah, also saw brand new 287 castings, perfect matches out of SoCal, cast brand spanking new, the part number is correct on em, $400.00 each bare, and he bought the rights to cast them from Mopar, but the Pentastar is not proudly displayed so they are not considered OEM castings, not legal. That really stunk, but ebay if you need em for a daily driver build unless a true purist.
the other day a railway worker and his friends stopped by (saw the K car) said he worked for Chrysler in the 80's and has some new heads lying around he's gonna dig em out and his other friend has a DRB.

Both my 86 Turbo heads are in rough shape broken studs, usual cracks between valves, corroded hogged out bolt holes for studs etc. Hopefully can "Make" a few Turbo heads by swapping valves and grinding the chambers for the correct "tapered Shroud" for Turbo use.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts