Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a T2 2.2 rebuild and I noticed this pan if not flat like the other 2 or 3 I have. Is this any better than the flat pans? I'm planning on using crank scrappers and building a windage tray. I do have the correct pick up tube for it.
Which is better for oil control,,,flat or deep dimpled pan?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I personally like the balance shaft pans. Either one will work fine if you add the windage tray. Since you plan on a windage tray, it's more a question of whether you want/need to run 6 quarts of oil or 4. Use the rectangular pickup with the balance shaft pan. Without the shafts and girdle, it will hold 6+ quarts of oil comfortably. Wise thing to add the windage tray:thumb:. Setting up your pan for a crank scraper is a labor of love.
Make sure that you remove all the sound deadening baffling if you use the balance shaft pan. You would not believe how much crap is trapped under the baffling. Here's a photo to show my point:eek:. The pan looked clean before removing the baffling! I believe the aftermarket makes balance shaft pans without the baffling so that would be a wise choice if you need a pan. New OEM pans are still available too.

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
Make sure that you remove all the sound deadening baffling if you use the balance shaft pan. You would not believe how much crap is trapped under the baffling. Here's a photo to show my point:eek:. The pan looked clean before removing the baffling!
+1 on that one. I would like to know why they used whatever they used in between the pan and the baffle. I had to heat it up with a heatgun and scrape it off with a putty knife on the last one I did. Definately some nasty stuff in there and nothing I would want in my fresh engine:bash:

BTW;What year is your motor Derek502?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts