Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title should say it all I have found lots of 2.5 88TBI roller cams but none
for 2.2 . My question is if they are the same grind or not?

·
Registered
945 Posts
NO...1988 2.2L cam is the one you want.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that figures. I have never seen one, I went to the yard today and found three
88 2.5 Tbi motors. What did the 2.2 Tbi come in, in 88? They are hard to find. I even
found a Flex fuel Spirit with turbo style intake, but somebody already got the ECU.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you should go get those:nodding:
I will try to make it back there in the next week and take some tools, I saw a mexican Shadow there a long time ago about a year and it had basically the same setup. MPFI with turbo style intake, when I went back it was gone.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
another nice thing to look for in a TBI cam, square tooth pulley means the right one

·
Registered
22 Posts
speaking of this, i got a 1990 omni 2.2, doing a swap with a lebaron 2.2 turbo carborated, should i rob the cam out-of my 2.2 and put in the pre-89' turbo 2.2, or wont it work?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would stick with the turbo cam, the only preferred non turbo cam that works good for a turbo application is the 88 TBI 2.2 cam.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know where i can get a 88 2.2 tbi roller cam, lifter and rocker arm set. Came out of a 1988 Dodge Omni. Like i was saying before, i believe the motor that I am getting is a mid-late 80's lebaron 2.2 turbo (i think, i have to look at the casting numbers. Did these Lebarons come with 2.5 Turbos as well? or just 2.2 turbos? How can i tell what year the engine is once i look at it? If it ends up being the 2.2, what year engine would it have to be for this 2.2 TBI cam set up to work with it? I was just looking around and stubled upon the cam and wondering if i should get it reguardless of what I have because i can get the cam, lifters and rocker arms for 40 bucks

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
I would stick with the turbo cam, the only preferred non turbo cam that works good for a turbo application is the 88 TBI 2.2 cam.
well the 89+ TBI cam (or an 88 2.5 TBI) is still an upgrade for a turbo (more lift and more overlap)

IF you are looking for a cam with more top end and less torque

thats what I'm running :) (a 92 TBI)

with the PT lifters and 3.3 conicals, it pulls hard right up to fuel cutoff

also, any roller cam - whether a T or TBI - is an upgrade for an earlier slider cam; if it aint a roller, don't bother

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
According to some info I have the '88 2.2 and 2.5 TBI cams are ground identically. The 2.5 TBI is ADV'ed 4* over the 2.2 TBI cam. That's it. Retard the centerline 4* and you'll have your 2.2 TBI. Personally, I'd run it as is and enjoy the advanced cylinder pressure rise. The turbos respond pretty nice to a few degrees cam advance.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
Did these Lebarons come with 2.5 Turbos as well?

How can i tell what year the engine is once i look at it?
The non-intercooled LeBarons switched to 2.5 turbos in '89. Various sources indicate that it could still be ordered with a 2.2 turbo for this year only. But that will be rare. '87-'88 they were 2.2 turbos and '88s had the Mitsu turbo.

If the engine is a common block, it won't have the fuel pump block off plate down by the water pump. You can look for the emissions routing label under the hood which will show the year of the car. The door label sometimes has the manufacture date and sometimes doesn't. Apparently someone at Chrysler wasn't watching the toner levels when they were printed. :rolleyes:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an '88 will have the 10th digit of the VIN be a J.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I read that the common block was the most desireable right? Plus this engine i am getting isn't in a vehicle, its sitting in a guys garage that i work with, so no VIN or Door Jamb lables unfortunately. Where to look for the block off plate helps though. I know there is a whole bunch of info on another website that was shared with me a while back that shows casting numbers for cylinder heads, so that should help too.

The only time they used a roller cam/lifters/rockers was in 1988 TBI 2.2L's? I was reading this thread and i saw someone haveing a hell of a time trying to find the cam set-up that i found, so i bought it without delay just in case i wanted to find it once i got my parts together.

What i got is a 1990 omni with a 3 speed auto, i know i need a 88-89 wire harness and computer to ease the pain of wiring up my turbo swap for the Lebaron engine. I found a seller, but it fell through:bang head, so i am still in need. Anyone know of anyone with this stuff?

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
The only time they used a roller cam/lifters/rockers was in 1988 TBI 2.2L's? I was reading this thread and i saw someone haveing a hell of a time trying to find the cam set-up that i found, so i bought it without delay just in case i wanted to find it once i got my parts together.
no, 88 was the year ALL the SOHCs got the roller (Quiet Idle package; TBI cars got the VC 'curtain' too) ; and ALL the SOHCs had rollers from then on...

the reason the 88 TBI is the most desirable is because it is the most "aggressive" factory cam ; the 89+ TBI cams have a little less lift and duration, but are still more "aggressive" than the turbo cams, and are certainly a good swap for either a roller turbo cam or definitely better than an earlier slider turbo cam

and as posted above, a "round tooth" cam installed on a "square tooth" motor will be retarded 4degrees, which moves the powerband up in RPMs ; great for a lightweight or MT car; if you have a heavier car you may wish to 'degree' the cam back to "base"

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
All TBI (roller) cams are the same ... 2.2 and 2.5 ... '88 on up.
'88 and '89 TBI 2.5's have a 4* advanced installed centerline. (118 vs 122) Grind spec's are identical to all TBI.

'90+ all have the same installed centerline and spec's 2.2(?) or 2.5 as the '88.

Everyone can quit looking for the "holy camshaft" now ;)

The round tooth/square tooth sprocket differences don't mean anything as far as cam degrees either. It's the installed centerlines that get people confused. Installed centerlines have nothing to do with sprockets or vice versa. The relation of a cams keyway to the sprocket is the same on a square tooth sprocket engine or a round tooth sprocket engine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to some info I have the '88 2.2 and 2.5 TBI cams are ground identically. The 2.5 TBI is ADV'ed 4* over the 2.2 TBI cam. That's it. Retard the centerline 4* and you'll have your 2.2 TBI. Personally, I'd run it as is and enjoy the advanced cylinder pressure rise. The turbos respond pretty nice to a few degrees cam advance.
Thank you very much for answering my question and solving the mystery, I have one more for you and I have never found this. Do you know the specs for a 90 VNT roller cam and how it compares to a TBI cam? Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts